HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
Good Day....

Definitely electrical, definitely not good.
It will be interesting to hear what the RTG's explanation is after a root cause analysis. My guess is water somehow got into an an inadequately sealed splice at the base of the pole and caused a short.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
It will be interesting to hear what the RTG's explanation is after a root cause analysis. My guess is water somehow got into an an inadequately sealed splice at the base of the pole and caused a short.
Good Day.... OMG..... a reason - stated - never in 30 years (length to end of maint. contract) !!

We never heard the cause of the Bayview bridge collapse; we barely heard anything of the Laurier and Rideau sinkholes; virtually nothing of the second Rideau hole, and the by-contract silence from both City and RTG (each stating the other) on anything and everything. Paranoid me says we will never see hide-nor-hair of comment on this one, and it would be extreme bonus if we do ! <snort> !

Your guess IMHO is spot on.... but what do we know !!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:55 PM

Whatever the cause, the fire is probably only going to be a very minor setback. Much more minor than a bridge collapse or sinkhole. A train was out testing by Hurdman yesterday evening, so I'm guessing they're sure that it's an isolated issue.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:03 PM

Good day.... 2 observations in passing Belfast this morning....

The storage shed is leaps-and-boundings.... almost all the stanchions and about 1/3 roof trusses are up. They are starting on the foundations for the second LMF sheds on the north side, and the foundations for the 'extra' shed at the southeast corner are going in.

And, looked into the trench between Tremblay and St.Laurent at the Belfast overpass..... heavy fog !!

EnJoy!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHrenetic View Post
And, looked into the trench between Tremblay and St.Laurent at the Belfast overpass..... heavy fog !!
The one nice thing about trains, as long as you are confident that no one is walking on the track or anything like that, you can run them in zero visibility as you don't have to steer them and you know how far ahead the next train is.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:31 AM

Good Day.

In the latest construction update 158, the last photo of the tunnel (somewhere under downtown)....
- would someone else please take a close look at the roofline in the middle distance. That looks like one heck of a dipsy-doopy of ? misalignment ?
As in - like - wow !

http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca...2018-01-09.jpg

EnJoy!

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:32 PM

My guess is that these are sections where they had to put support umbrellas because of specific geological anomalies or something like utilities/sewers running perpendicularly above the tunnel.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:13 PM

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:27 PM

^ Wow, looks like pretty much the entire structure is done, just needs finishings (tiles, ceiling panels, paint, glass railings). Hope we can at least have a September opening (June would be nice, but might be a little too tight, unless they do a partial opening east of downtown).

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:30 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
^ Wow, looks like pretty much the entire structure is done, just needs finishings (tiles, ceiling panels, paint, glass railings). Hope we can at least have a September opening (June would be nice, but might be a little too tight, unless they do a partial opening east of downtown).
Saw a train doing a test run near Hurdman last week. It would be nice to see the Eastern section opened early as a test as we wait for the remaining atations to be completed (Rideau especially). A soft opening should work out some kinks I would imagine.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Yeah. I think they should open uOttawa-Blair to regular customer service; given how far along the eastern segment this, they could do this for June or even April. It would work out the kinks, make travel between Hurdman and Blair/St. Laurent (important to a lot of crosstown trips) WAY easier, and even help with the train station (although there'd be no service downtown yet, connectivity to Hurdman and to uOttawa (from which one could easily walk to a lot of downtown destinations if the weather was nice) would help.

However, without the downtown segment open and without the possibility of bus transfers at uOttawa, ridership would be quite limited. I'd still run it at the normal scheduled frequencies (gives the system practice with signalling at full train load), but make it free to ride to draw people in; perhaps RTG can cover the operating costs of this partial route as part of its late opening penalty. The free to ride feature would encourage a lot of people to "joy ride" the system during this time period, helping a good chunk of the city's commuters get used to using the LRT before it opens for real.

This would work very well if the system itself had its proper opening in September. Summer is ideal for a trial like this.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
The free to ride feature would encourage a lot of people to "joy ride" the system during this time period, helping a good chunk of the city's commuters get used to using the LRT before it opens for real.
Agreed with most of your post except for this point.

A lot of people joy ride on OCTranspo and it does nothing but permeate the general stereotypes of bus travelers. Part of the appeal for LRT, at least for some I would imagine, would be the appeal of having a gate fare system for stations to weed out those trying to cheat the system. I hate to say it, but there are people who might take the train who wouldnt take the bus for this reason - buses have a very negative stigma amongst some, and carrying that over to the LRT might be an unwise choice.

That, and the eventual complaining that would be bound to happen when the free rides are taken away. I'm sure some would lobby for the entire system to be free in perpetuity if you gave them even a sniff of the possibility.

Maybe they could offer free rides on Fridays or Mondays or something, but something entirely free for a set period of time makes me weary of the side effects.

Old Posted Today, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

A lot of people joy ride on OCTranspo and it does nothing but permeate the general stereotypes of bus travelers. Part of the appeal for LRT, at least for some I would imagine, would be the appeal of having a gate fare system for stations to weed out those trying to cheat the system. I hate to say it, but there are people who might take the train who wouldnt take the bus for this reason - buses have a very negative stigma amongst some, and carrying that over to the LRT might be an unwise choice.

That, and the eventual complaining that would be bound to happen when the free rides are taken away. I'm sure some would lobby for the entire system to be free in perpetuity if you gave them even a sniff of the possibility.

Maybe they could offer free rides on Fridays or Mondays or something, but something entirely free for a set period of time makes me weary of the side effects.
Free rides for the first couple weeks is a pretty common promotion for a new transit line. Toronto's TYSSE opening in December had one day of free transit across the entire system, but it was just an extension.

Old Posted Today, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Are you saying that many people don’t ride transit because some people fare hop? That’s a new definition of the free rider problem to me. Where did you get this idea from?

Old Posted Today, 3:08 AM

A uOttawa-Blair trial would probably have extremely low ridership without free fares, which would create its own set of problems. Imagine the criticism, OMG WE SPENT BILLIONS ON THIS THING AND IT'S EMPTY.

Old Posted Today, 3:23 AM

Quote:
A uOttawa-Blair trial would probably have extremely low ridership without free fares, which would create its own set of problems. Imagine the criticism, OMG WE SPENT BILLIONS ON THIS THING AND IT'S EMPTY.
While it may have low ridership to start, it would still be a good way to iron out all the bugs before the whole system goes online with full ridership otherwise they are just asking for a disaster to happen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation