HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Remember also that 44 Monroe was built as a condo tower, not apartments so higher ceilings and bigger units.
I don't think that makes too much of a difference in this type of project and for this market. Most luxury highrises, apartments and condos, have the same specs but differ when it comes to interior design and amenities (custom cabinets vs standard, cookie-cutter models, hardwood flooring vs carpet or tile, etc).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:20 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ Do your measurements account for the center portion of any tower taken up by the central mechanic/stairwell core?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6873

I don't know how much of the core in this is apartment mechanical that continues up and hotel mechanical, that, what, stops? Center core/corridors/etc certainly affects net square feet.
Yes, without diagramming it, I think I took the center 1000sf out or so (30'x30'ish).

And to phxSUNSfan: not a chance you get 15ft ceilings. Not even close. Aside from the penthouse floor(s), you'd be lucky to get more than 10ft FLOOR TO FLOOR. SOP for tall apartment buildings just about anywhere (aside from random uber luxury towers).

Last edited by plinko; Feb 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM. Reason: poor math skills...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Yes, although I don't think I took enough room.

Without diagramming it, I think I took the center 2000sf out or so.

And to phxSUNSfan: not a chance you get 15ft ceilings. Not even close. Aside from the penthouse floor(s), you'd be lucky to get more than 10ft FLOOR TO FLOOR. SOP for tall apartment buildings just about anywhere (aside from random uber luxury towers).
If they do cutback enough that they only offer a 10ft floor to ceiling average throughout the entire building, then they could squeeze the project into roughly 425ft.

Still a rather tall building. But yeah, I was most likely overestimating...

NOTE: apartments in 44 Monroe and West 6th in Tempe have units from about 780ft² to 4,800ft² and 507ft² to 2,300ft² respectively. The 4,800ft² floor plans were the original sizes of the penthouses. I'm not sure if they remained that large when they were converted to apartments.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 14, 2012 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 12:12 PM

I feel like we are divining the entrails of some random bird in the hopes that Phoenix's uber-pathetic skyline might get another 400-foot plus tower out of this. LOL...

I'm going to San Diego in less than two weeks...that will give me my urban fix I've been jonesing for.

--don

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
Not all units have 15 foot ceilings; some have 12 and I think the smallest have 9 or 10 foot ceilings. The 10 floor garage also shrinks the overall height of 44 Monroe...If RED wants the new apartments to be competitive and offer an advantage over their neighbors they will likely offer taller ceilings and nice floor plans.
The unit my friend lives in on the 28th floor definitely does not have 15' ceilings. I installed ceiling fans and was able to reach the ceiling with my modest ladder.

How much below ground parking does the building have? Is there enough to reserve 200+/- for apartments?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
The unit my friend lives in on the 28th floor definitely does not have 15' ceilings. I installed ceiling fans and was able to reach the ceiling with my modest ladder.

How much below ground parking does the building have? Is there enough to reserve 200+/- for apartments?
Floor plans and location dictate ceiling heights; the lowest ceiling height in the building is 10.5 ft...

There is plenty of parking and likely every resident wouldn't have a car.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPhx View Post
This building is a fantastic addition downtown. It's sleek and modern and beautiful, especially up close. Love it.
had to double-take because I thought YOU were ME! lol

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:48 PM

I just did a little sneaking in and a walk through of the new night club going in that will be attached to Lucky Strike. The drywall, rooms, and bar areas are all finished. If they keep working, I bet it might be done in a couple of months. it really has a cool layout.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Didn't know there was going to be a night club there.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 1:23 AM

I had heard months ago that they were planning on it, but now it is happening. They are taking the entire rest of the 2nd floor for it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 1:25 AM
BANNED

great, more minority bars on Washington street to produce gunshots

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
great, more minority bars on Washington street to produce gunshots
What? LOL

The "minority" nightclubs downtown are hardly worrisome. There was one shooting outside the Matador a couple of years ago but it is hardly violent in any downtown scene. There isn't anything happening at minority clubs like Amsterdam or Club Dwntown (a mostly Latino nightclub)...

Besides the presence of more police in downtown this CityScape club will probably be more like Lucky Strike Lounge and Copper Blues...plenty of whites so you won't feel too threatened by us darker skinned variety.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 20, 2012 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 1:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
What? LOL

The "minority" nightclubs downtown are hardly worrisome. There was one shooting outside the Matador a couple of years ago but it is hardly violent in any downtown scene. There isn't anything happening at minority clubs like Amsterdam or Club Dwntown (a mostly Latino nightclub)...
I have lived at 7th and washington for 5.5 years now, and I've known of at least 4 shootings from fights in those bars. There are fights all the time coming from those too. Those bars are full of young kids who are gangbangers and the bar owners are not good neighbors because they cater to that demographic.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
I have lived at 7th and washington for 5.5 years now, and I've known of at least 4 shootings from fights in those bars. There are fights all the time coming from those too. Those bars are full of young kids who are gangbangers and the bar owners are not good neighbors because they cater to that demographic.
Haven't found any police reports of gun violence in the area in sometime. Given the police presence you would think something like that would be reported. I've lived in Phoenix, northern end of downtown (Roosevelt), since late '08/early '09 and don't see much going on. Haven't seen any fights at those clubs either: but then I've only been to Bar Smith and the other one a few times in my 3.5 years here.

I've always wondered how long those clubs would remain given the shifting demographics of downtown. I'm surprised another gay club or more eclectic place hasn't taken over at least one space...

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 3:48 AM

Can't resist to chime in here. I do recall a few months back that I got chastised for bringing up the fact that the medical school downtown is the University of Arizona Medical school...and yet,folks right there think it is asu's ...when asu doesn't even have a medical school. (Mayo Clinic medical school students also receiving a masters in hotel management from asu - or, something like that -it is not the same thing) I thought that was somewhat relevant...considering that it was downtown Phoenix.
Not sure of the relevance of discussion of minorities to City Scape/ downtown, etc., however. It was also confusing to me since I live here in L.A. county...and I'm a minority. As a white male, I am part of just 27% of the population. Latinos make up nearly 50% ...blacks 12%...Asians 13%. I still was not sure who was in the minority as I read a study that indicated that Latinos make up of nearly 80% of the population within a 5 mile radius of downtown Phoenix.
However, now that the discussion has started...the reality is that whites with money are going to be very reluctant to move nearby downtown. Maybe, it is a perception rather than reality...however, I own a small unit near downtown...in a very nice neighborhood. I would like to buy more...however, the few nice neighborhoods of downtown Phoenix are very expensive - between Central and 7th Ave. I am very reluctant to buy in Garfield or, south of downtown...or, west of 7th Ave. Even Coronado is hit or miss. If I am afraid to drive in those neighborhoods at night...they're not safe.
...stick to pictures...you guys put up some nice photos....and I get to see what is going on.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
Can't resist to chime in here. I do recall a few months back that I got chastised for bringing up the fact that the medical school downtown is the University of Arizona Medical school...and yet,folks right there think it is asu's ...when asu doesn't even have a medical school. (Mayo Clinic medical school students also receiving a masters in hotel management from asu - or, something like that -it is not the same thing) I thought that was somewhat relevant...considering that it was downtown Phoenix.
Not sure of the relevance of discussion of minorities to City Scape/ downtown, etc., however. It was also confusing to me since I live here in L.A. county...and I'm a minority. As a white male, I am part of just 27% of the population. Latinos make up nearly 50% ...blacks 12%...Asians 13%. I still was not sure who was in the minority as I read a study that indicated that Latinos make up of nearly 80% of the population within a 5 mile radius of downtown Phoenix.
However, now that the discussion has started...the reality is that whites with money are going to be very reluctant to move nearby downtown. Maybe, it is a perception rather than reality...however, I own a small unit near downtown...in a very nice neighborhood. I would like to buy more...however, the few nice neighborhoods of downtown Phoenix are very expensive - between Central and 7th Ave. I am very reluctant to buy in Garfield or, south of downtown...or, west of 7th Ave. Even Coronado is hit or miss. If I am afraid to drive in those neighborhoods at night...they're not safe.
...stick to pictures...you guys put up some nice photos....and I get to see what is going on.
I don't think anyone is confused on UofA's medical school downtown (obviously those you spoke to were misinformed). UofA and ASU were in partnership for research and healthcare innovation but that ended in 2010 when ASU decided to go it alone and in a different direction. But one of AU's buildings downtown still has signage with both schools on it; that might be an issue that confuses a few people. ASU's medical degrees in partnership with the Mayo Clinic has nothing to do with hospitality (hotel management) but instead ASU offers a Master's in Hospital Administration among others: ASU's premed program is designed to meet Mayo's standards.

The Central City precinct is one of the least violent in Phoenix. We have South Mountain and Cactus precincts to fill that bubble. I would say that Garfield is not somewhere I'd live now (because there is little in terms of renovated units) but the western edge isn't horrible. Coronado isn't in downtown. The only downtown neighborhoods with homes are Roosevelt, Willo, Evans-Churchill, etc and they tend to be expensive places. West of 7th Ave (outside of downtown) is FQ Story and Encanto-Palmcroft; two VERY expensive neighborhoods. It is cheaper south of Roosevelt but also more like Garfield.

As for the minority conversation it was concerning a new club opening up in CityScape. VL John speculated that it would be a minority club like a few in downtown Phoenix. However, I have a feeling it will be more like Copper Blues than PHX Nightclub.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Feb 20, 2012 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
If you're afraid to drive through those neighborhoods at night, you're a pussy.

talk about perception vs. reality. Random violence in this city is so rare... I've walked in every neighborhood nearby (Oakland, Garfield, south of downtown, Eastlake, etc.) and never once been frightened or felt vulnerable.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:20 PM

I told you previously that my company was looking into leasing the alleged office space above the kimpton hotel, but then they changed the office space to residential and we are now looking elsewhere. I just learned that my company will be getting pitched by competeing presentations from the Collier Group, which plans to build a high rise on Washington between CitiScape and the B of A building, and Gollub, which plans to build a high rise near 2nd Ave and Monroe. Both are courting us as a future tenant.

Of course, I knew about the Collier Group building but I did not know about the other proposed project. Sorry if this is old news.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:31 PM

That's very interesting news. First, I thought the area between CityScape and the BofA Tower was planned to be residential condos (and thusly likely vacant forever). Second, that's cool that the 2nd Ave/Monroe tower isn't just a pipe dream either, they're actively looking for tenants.

Renone: Your company is possibly interested in leasing something that won't be available for another 2+ years?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:33 PM

Yes. Our lease doesn't expire for another three years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest