HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 8:03 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
A lot of people in Magna think Magna Main Street is scary. So, they don't go to Main St.

Magna has a population of 26,000, other cities in Salt Lake County that have or had 26,000 population in the recent past have had a lot more retail than Magna. Magna had more retail in the '60s and earlier, including several car dealerships.
That's understandable, although it might not be any longer or it might be. I'm sure at one point it was and perceptions take many years to change. Magna Main is clean, the sidewalks are in good condition, the street lights are nice and it is branded with banners, "Magna Township"

There are a few positives going for it. This is my quick run down of what is on Magna Main. Several bars, several churches, Magna Library, The Empress, a Pizza restaurant, Collosimos (a small grocery store and Deli), a business supply store, Senior Center, a tattoo parlor (maybe) and an auto garage that appears to be more of a junk yard now. I'm sure I missed some things, but that is the gist of it.

There are several prime buildings that could really add some activity to the street, depending on what was done with them. The former Drug store, and the former Gem theater. I think restoring the Gem to a second run movie house could be a great way to get people to Magna Main. Two movies at a time, one showing a night, and 2-3 showings of each on Saturday.

After driving through the area today I think it could succeed with a mixture of the following: Increased programming on Main St; Existing locals embrace and support the businesses and programming that exist and new ones when they happen; Fill some of the missing teeth on Main St with new buildings including new housing options on 2nd and 3rd floors of those buildings; Zoning that limits new uses, (drive-thru's, junk yard, auto repair); Promote and provide incentives, through grants and other means, creating some sort of a niche, such as an arts district.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 8:07 PM

The problem isn't Magna Main St. directly, which is quite charming, but the streets and houses immediately surrounding it.

I don't think it's scary, but I know a lot of people who do.

Magna also has a golf course that a lot of people from the eastside play golf on. Although, it doesn't look like a very nice golf course, I've seen very expensive cars driving in through the gate. One of my neighbors growing up was a caddy there. The people coming from outside Magna drive up 9200 W and go straight to the golf course, without going to any other part of Magna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
That's understandable, although it might not be any longer or it might be. I'm sure at one point it was and perceptions take many years to change. Magna Main is clean, the sidewalks are in good condition, the street lights are nice and it is branded with banners, "Magna Township"

There are a few positives going for it. This is my quick run down of what is on Magna Main. Several bars, several churches, Magna Library, The Empress, a Pizza restaurant, Collosimos (a small grocery store and Deli), a business supply store, Senior Center, a tattoo parlor (maybe) and an auto garage that appears to be more of a junk yard now. I'm sure I missed some things, but that is the gist of it.

There are several prime buildings that could really add some activity to the street, depending on what was done with them. The former Drug store, and the former Gem theater. I think restoring the Gem to a second run movie house could be a great way to get people to Magna Main. Two movies at a time, one showing a night, and 2-3 showings of each on Saturday.

After driving through the area today I think it could succeed with a mixture of the following: Increased programming on Main St; Existing locals embrace and support the businesses and programming that exist and new ones when they happen; Fill some of the missing teeth on Main St with new buildings including new housing options on 2nd and 3rd floors of those buildings; Zoning that limits new uses, (drive-thru's, junk yard, auto repair); Promote and provide incentives, through grants and other means, creating some sort of a niche, such as an arts district.

Last edited by Stenar; Jun 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 7:27 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Just notice this for the first time, but there is a big apartment development taking place east of Bingham High School on 10600 South near Redwood. I'm hardly ever in the South Jordan area, but were just passing though yesterday and notice a big 4-story ( apartments? ) going up. Don't know anything else besides that. Does anybody know more about this?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:18 PM
Bring out the cranes...

West Valley City to build Fairbourne Station parking structure
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...-west.html.csp

And

UTA backs 5-story West Valley City parking garage

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...alley.html.csp

The structure will architecturally match the design of other buildings in the area. It also will feature glass staircases and elevators. There will also be seating and landscaping outside of the building.

"There’s quite a bit of thought put behind there," Arslanian said. The structure is not "just a concrete building. There’s a lot of design to it."
The city plans to finalize a blueprint in July and if funding goes as planned, it will break ground in August. Arslanian hopes the structure will be complete by August 2015 and open to the public the following month.

The surrounding Fairbourne Station area will contain two plazas, office space, restaurants, the library, high-density residential housing and city government buildings. Officials want it to be a hub of activity and leisure for West Valley residents. They are weighing options for plug-ins for electric cars and bike sharing, similar to downtown Salt Lake City’s GREENbike program.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 9:33 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm glad that the structure will be a shared structure. No need to build separate structures for residents, commercial and UTA. If I'm not mistaken, looking at an aerial view of the area the current UTA park and ride is directly south of the platform and west of City Hall. Is that right?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:15 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm glad that the structure will be a shared structure. No need to build separate structures for residents, commercial and UTA. If I'm not mistaken, looking at an aerial view of the area the current UTA park and ride is directly south of the platform and west of City Hall. Is that right?
Right.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 12:52 PM

That's a huge deal for WVC. Showing their commitment to density, transit...hopefully this can develop into part of a true core for the city. Not a fan of big parking structures, but I'd rather have a five level structure than 5 surface lots of that same size.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:43 PM

Yeah, they said it won't simply be a big concrete structure, that it will have a design to it. Hmm, I guess we'll see what their definition of design is. Unless it's something very cool, I hope they make an effort to put it behind other street fronting buildings. Something out of sight.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 1:53 PM

Redevelopment brings continued success to Valley Fair Mall

West Valley City » Interior redesign underway and new tenants are planned for fall.

By Courtney Tanner | The Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-west.html.csp

..."We could see a path to success," he said. "But we weren’t sure if we were going to survive long enough to execute it."

A turnaround came when West Valley City invested $7 million in a redevelopment project that resulted in construction of a town center in front of the mall and new contracts with Ross and Petco.

Since 2009, the mall’s traffic has increased 74 percent from around 3 million visitors per year to more than 5 million in 2014. Retailers inside the mall reported an average sales increase of 46 percent.

Satterfield Helm was able to replace Mervyn’s with the Larry H. Miller Megaplex in 2012, which Arbuckle said brings unique traffic to the mall.

Currently, the redevelopment company is adding Ulta and Bed Bath & Beyond stores to open this fall. It’s also signed three new leases since securing those two stores.

The mall has long-term contracts with all but two of its national tenants, which include Zumiez, Verizon, Foot Locker and Macy’s, among others...

... Satterfield Helm is redesigning the mall’s interior to look like a streetscape — similar to The Gateway in downtown Salt Lake City — by varying the façades of storefronts. Arbuckle hopes the change will give the mall a "family-friendly" feel.

When the redevelopment is finished, the total cost will be around $100 million.

Arbuckle said the completion date depends on retailers signing leases, and occupancy currently is about 93 percent...

Last edited by delts145; Jul 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
That's a huge deal for WVC. Showing their commitment to density, transit...hopefully this can develop into part of a true core for the city. Not a fan of big parking structures, but I'd rather have a five level structure than 5 surface lots of that same size.
I wish more parking garages in the area would have ground floor retail. In Philadelphia most garages have ground floor retail which helps the garage blend into the neighborhood and provide street energy while still providing parking.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 10:10 PM

Riverton Old Dome Church Replica

Here's a photo of the progress of the replica of Riverton's Old Dome Church being built in the main city park in Riverton:

Old Dome Church Replica
by stenar, on Flickr

As compared to the original:

Source: hmdb.org

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 10:39 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Only five years ago, this parking structure would've been the tallest building in West Valley. Impressive how much can change so quickly.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 10:39 PM

^^^
^^^
That actually looks very encouraging. Now, if they'll just finish it off with the right brick and trim.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
^^^
That actually looks very encouraging. Now, if they'll just finish it off with the right brick and trim.
It's going to be cheap red brick.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 4:50 PM
Transit Advocate

Sorry but nothing about chip board says "iconic structure". That old church looked really cool, and the new thing is just a bastardization... reminds me of the West Jordan City Hall atrocity.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 12:34 PM

There is a metal frame under that center portion of the building and dome. Not sure about the two wings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
There is a metal frame under that center portion of the building and dome. Not sure about the two wings.
The two wings are just stick frames.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 12:40 AM

Yeah, I found the pics you had posted earlier of the center portion in it's metal frame. I hope the brick doesn't look as bad as you're thinking it's going to be. Did you see a sample?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I found the pics you had posted earlier of the center portion in it's metal frame. I hope the brick doesn't look as bad as you're thinking it's going to be. Did you see a sample?
They had some cheap looking bricks near the building site. They're also building a wall around the entire park!? The bricks could be for something else. The walls around the park are an ugly pink color. I'm not sure if they're brick or formed concrete. They look more like concrete. I need to get a closer look.

They started putting up some other tan bricks near the entrance to the park that are very nice looking.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 1:16 AM

Riverton Dome Church

Here's the brick entrance. The bricks were more a honey color than tan, but they're covering them up with ugly purplish-red bricks. I really liked the honey color. I wish they'd just kept those.
BTW, these are not the red bricks I saw previously. I'm wondering if they switched them for another color. The others were much redder and cheap looking.

Brick entrance with Dome Church
by stenar, on Flickr

Purplish red bricks covering the honey colored cinder blocks.
by stenar, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West