HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #45321  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:41 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 308
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...rkets-west-end

Three new buildings proposed at the western edge of Fulton district, including a 21-story at the corner of Randolph and Ogden.

This is great news. The area around Union Park has a lot of potential to be a cool res area, especially if (when) they rehab the Ashland green line stop. I wonder when the lot on the northwestern corner of Madison and Ashland is going to go? Can’t stay a gravel wasteland for long with all this development happening nearby, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45322  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:03 PM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...rkets-west-end

Three new buildings proposed at the western edge of Fulton district, including a 21-story at the corner of Randolph and Ogden.

This is great news. The area around Union Park has a lot of potential to be a cool res area, especially if (when) they rehab the Ashland green line stop. I wonder when the lot on the northwestern corner of Madison and Ashland is going to go? Can’t stay a gravel wasteland for long with all this development happening nearby, right?
Absolutely. Right now the Ashland station is more than slightly dilapidated, but it wouldn't take too much to modernize it. At that point, the development directly along Ogden Ave. would have nothing stopping it, opening up areas to the west and toward the U.C...

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983. I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here." -- Oprah Winfrey
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45323  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:40 PM
OrdoSeclorum OrdoSeclorum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Absolutely. Right now the Ashland station is more than slightly dilapidated, but it wouldn't take too much to modernize it. At that point, the development directly along Ogden Ave. would have nothing stopping it, opening up areas to the west and toward the U.C...

Aaron (Glowrock)
Do you really think the station is an impediment to development? I use the Ashland Green line station more than any other. It's not modern, but it has some shabby charm. And the trains will arrive no matter what kind of platform I'm standing on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45324  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:53 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 11,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Do you really think the station is an impediment to development? I use the Ashland Green line station more than any other. It's not modern, but it has some shabby charm. And the trains will arrive no matter what kind of platform I'm standing on.
Ashland station ( please don't put up glass on the bridge )

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago in the morning by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Good Morning Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45325  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:58 PM
BrinChi BrinChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 180
^^ Ashland station is awesome! They could maintain it better (goes for all CTA stations; they seem to take the approach of $50 million rehab... do nothing for 30 years+... $75 million rehab... etc), but they intentionally saved the historic station when it was last renovated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45326  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:00 PM
BrinChi BrinChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 180
Also, I'm happy for the proposals around Ashland, but do we really need to knock down another charming low rise? There are plenty of parking lots to build on. We really need to de-incentivize teardowns in this city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45327  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:41 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Also, I'm happy for the proposals around Ashland, but do we really need to knock down another charming low rise? There are plenty of parking lots to build on. We really need to de-incentivize teardowns in this city.
Which low rise is charming? I guess the bellyq restaurant is charming in that it's old, but it doesn't really have any discernible historical features, I don't think?

Certainly the other is not going to be missed, basically just a blank brick structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
^^ Ashland station is awesome! They could maintain it better (goes for all CTA stations; they seem to take the approach of $50 million rehab... do nothing for 30 years+... $75 million rehab... etc), but they intentionally saved the historic station when it was last renovated.
Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45328  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:45 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.
Quincy had to be upgraded as it was not ADA-compliant. It was renovated in the 90s, but somehow they managed to avoid putting in an elevator. Ashland is already accessible. It just needs a fresh coat of paint and a thorough cleaning...

CTA was doing deep station cleans a few years ago, I remember them posting dramatic before/after photos. I guess that approach died out?
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45329  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:02 PM
emathias's Avatar
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
To be more precise, WBEZ said that some of that loss can be accounted for by the Ash Borer mass removal, but not all. The real story is that not only did the city no meet the goal of adding a millions trees, they're not even replacing trees at the same number they're being removed. Trees are removed every year for all sorts for all sorts of reasons, and the city isnt keeping up.
Several years ago, the City removed two trees outside my building and only replanted one, despite multiple calls requesting a second.
__________________
I like travel and photography - check out my Flickr page.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45330  
Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:09 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,839
Application was filed to replace this vacant 3 story building on Southport near the Southport Brown Line stop with a new 6 story (64 feet 1 inch) building with 35 units (efficiency) with 36 bike parking stalls and 0 car parking. Ground floor commercial space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45331  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:45 AM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 4,839
This is what is supposed to go in what's currently the parking lot for Meet Fresh (and a few other things) at 2020 S Clark St in Chinatown. I think ground floor is commercial and the rest might be office.

Blech

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45332  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 1:09 AM
glowrock's Avatar
glowrock glowrock is offline
Becoming Chicago-fied!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago (West Avondale)
Posts: 19,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Which low rise is charming? I guess the bellyq restaurant is charming in that it's old, but it doesn't really have any discernible historical features, I don't think?

Certainly the other is not going to be missed, basically just a blank brick structure.



Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.
I agree that the views are fantastic, but it definitely needs some cleaning, upgrading (albeit probably mainly cosmetic, but still!), that kind of thing. It's not that I think it's necessarily a deterrent to development nearby, but a relatively small investment could pan out remarkably well in terms of new activity, you know?

Aaron (Glowrock)
__________________
"My first day in Chicago, September 4, 1983. I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here." -- Oprah Winfrey
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45333  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:07 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is offline
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is what is supposed to go in what's currently the parking lot for Meet Fresh (and a few other things) at 2020 S Clark St in Chinatown. I think ground floor is commercial and the rest might be office.

Blech

Wow that is truly an ugly building. That area will never look good aesthetically though until something is done about the Hilliard grounds.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead. Trump delenda est.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45334  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:10 PM
woodrow woodrow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 739
Cleaning/updating the Ashland station is all well and good, but what they really need to do is increase # of Green Line trains, and I am not sure the loop can handle that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45335  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:12 PM
Jim in Chicago Jim in Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Wow that is truly an ugly building. That area will never look good aesthetically though until something is done about the Hilliard grounds.
Just wow. This is the best they can do? But then it'll be next to ugly strip mall, so it's more of the same. Is there parking in there? If not where are the strip mall clients supposed to park? It isn't exactly a pleasant walk from anything!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45336  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:38 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Cleaning/updating the Ashland station is all well and good, but what they really need to do is increase # of Green Line trains, and I am not sure the loop can handle that.
The loop can't handle more trains at peak. The CTA could however lengthen rush period Green/Pink Line trains to 8 cars once sufficient rolling stock is available.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45337  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:08 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 308
Full permit issued for 4024 N Lincoln. I've had my eye on this for a while, seems like there were like 4 restaurants in this space in 4 years....

Rendering:


Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-87.6794364
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45338  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:26 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,116
^ not bad.

speaking of the 4000 block of N lincoln, does anyone know of any plans for the site of the old demolished lincoln restaurant: https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-87.6794364
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45339  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:39 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
what they really need to do is increase # of Green Line trains
Why, exactly? Ridership is quite modest—less than many bus routes—and dropped in 2017 (last full year for which data is available).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45340  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:43 PM
woodrow woodrow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Why, exactly? Ridership is quite modest—less than many bus routes—and has been dropping.
Future growth? I actually did not know that ridership is dropping. That surprises me, given the explosive growth of the west loop. Any theories about why it is dropping?

Right now, if you miss a westbound train, you can be waiting a long time, and then you get on a very crowded train. Admittedly I am talking about State/Lake which is one of the last loop stations and is very crowded.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:20 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.