HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:41 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...rkets-west-end

Three new buildings proposed at the western edge of Fulton district, including a 21-story at the corner of Randolph and Ogden.

This is great news. The area around Union Park has a lot of potential to be a cool res area, especially if (when) they rehab the Ashland green line stop. I wonder when the lot on the northwestern corner of Madison and Ashland is going to go? Can’t stay a gravel wasteland for long with all this development happening nearby, right?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:03 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...rkets-west-end

Three new buildings proposed at the western edge of Fulton district, including a 21-story at the corner of Randolph and Ogden.

This is great news. The area around Union Park has a lot of potential to be a cool res area, especially if (when) they rehab the Ashland green line stop. I wonder when the lot on the northwestern corner of Madison and Ashland is going to go? Can’t stay a gravel wasteland for long with all this development happening nearby, right?
Absolutely. Right now the Ashland station is more than slightly dilapidated, but it wouldn't take too much to modernize it. At that point, the development directly along Ogden Ave. would have nothing stopping it, opening up areas to the west and toward the U.C...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Absolutely. Right now the Ashland station is more than slightly dilapidated, but it wouldn't take too much to modernize it. At that point, the development directly along Ogden Ave. would have nothing stopping it, opening up areas to the west and toward the U.C...

Aaron (Glowrock)
Do you really think the station is an impediment to development? I use the Ashland Green line station more than any other. It's not modern, but it has some shabby charm. And the trains will arrive no matter what kind of platform I'm standing on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Do you really think the station is an impediment to development? I use the Ashland Green line station more than any other. It's not modern, but it has some shabby charm. And the trains will arrive no matter what kind of platform I'm standing on.
Ashland station ( please don't put up glass on the bridge )

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago in the morning by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Good Morning Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:58 PM

^^ Ashland station is awesome! They could maintain it better (goes for all CTA stations; they seem to take the approach of $50 million rehab... do nothing for 30 years+... $75 million rehab... etc), but they intentionally saved the historic station when it was last renovated.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:00 PM

Also, I'm happy for the proposals around Ashland, but do we really need to knock down another charming low rise? There are plenty of parking lots to build on. We really need to de-incentivize teardowns in this city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Also, I'm happy for the proposals around Ashland, but do we really need to knock down another charming low rise? There are plenty of parking lots to build on. We really need to de-incentivize teardowns in this city.
Which low rise is charming? I guess the bellyq restaurant is charming in that it's old, but it doesn't really have any discernible historical features, I don't think?

Certainly the other is not going to be missed, basically just a blank brick structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
^^ Ashland station is awesome! They could maintain it better (goes for all CTA stations; they seem to take the approach of $50 million rehab... do nothing for 30 years+... $75 million rehab... etc), but they intentionally saved the historic station when it was last renovated.
Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.
Quincy had to be upgraded as it was not ADA-compliant. It was renovated in the 90s, but somehow they managed to avoid putting in an elevator. Ashland is already accessible. It just needs a fresh coat of paint and a thorough cleaning...

CTA was doing deep station cleans a few years ago, I remember them posting dramatic before/after photos. I guess that approach died out?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:02 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
To be more precise, WBEZ said that some of that loss can be accounted for by the Ash Borer mass removal, but not all. The real story is that not only did the city no meet the goal of adding a millions trees, they're not even replacing trees at the same number they're being removed. Trees are removed every year for all sorts for all sorts of reasons, and the city isnt keeping up.
Several years ago, the City removed two trees outside my building and only replanted one, despite multiple calls requesting a second.
My current active camera gear: Nikon D750, Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 zoom, Nikon 85mm f1.8G, Nikon 50mm f1.4D, Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6, Nikkor 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikkor 55mm f3.5 manual focus, Nikon PB-4 Bellows. Collectible gear: Nikon F4s, Nikon D1, Nikon N4004s (my very first SLR)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:09 PM

Application was filed to replace this vacant 3 story building on Southport near the Southport Brown Line stop with a new 6 story (64 feet 1 inch) building with 35 units (efficiency) with 36 bike parking stalls and 0 car parking. Ground floor commercial space.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:45 AM

This is what is supposed to go in what's currently the parking lot for Meet Fresh (and a few other things) at 2020 S Clark St in Chinatown. I think ground floor is commercial and the rest might be office.

Blech

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 1:09 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Which low rise is charming? I guess the bellyq restaurant is charming in that it's old, but it doesn't really have any discernible historical features, I don't think?

Certainly the other is not going to be missed, basically just a blank brick structure.

I agree that the views are fantastic, but it definitely needs some cleaning, upgrading (albeit probably mainly cosmetic, but still!), that kind of thing. It's not that I think it's necessarily a deterrent to development nearby, but a relatively small investment could pan out remarkably well in terms of new activity, you know?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:07 AM
>~< , QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is what is supposed to go in what's currently the parking lot for Meet Fresh (and a few other things) at 2020 S Clark St in Chinatown. I think ground floor is commercial and the rest might be office.

Blech

Wow that is truly an ugly building. That area will never look good aesthetically though until something is done about the Hilliard grounds.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:10 PM

Cleaning/updating the Ashland station is all well and good, but what they really need to do is increase # of Green Line trains, and I am not sure the loop can handle that.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Wow that is truly an ugly building. That area will never look good aesthetically though until something is done about the Hilliard grounds.
Just wow. This is the best they can do? But then it'll be next to ugly strip mall, so it's more of the same. Is there parking in there? If not where are the strip mall clients supposed to park? It isn't exactly a pleasant walk from anything!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Cleaning/updating the Ashland station is all well and good, but what they really need to do is increase # of Green Line trains, and I am not sure the loop can handle that.
The loop can't handle more trains at peak. The CTA could however lengthen rush period Green/Pink Line trains to 8 cars once sufficient rolling stock is available.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:08 PM

Full permit issued for 4024 N Lincoln. I've had my eye on this for a while, seems like there were like 4 restaurants in this space in 4 years....

Rendering:

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-87.6794364

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ not bad.

speaking of the 4000 block of N lincoln, does anyone know of any plans for the site of the old demolished lincoln restaurant: https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-87.6794364

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:39 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
what they really need to do is increase # of Green Line trains
Why, exactly? Ridership is quite modest—less than many bus routes—and dropped in 2017 (last full year for which data is available).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Why, exactly? Ridership is quite modest—less than many bus routes—and has been dropping.
Future growth? I actually did not know that ridership is dropping. That surprises me, given the explosive growth of the west loop. Any theories about why it is dropping?

Right now, if you miss a westbound train, you can be waiting a long time, and then you get on a very crowded train. Admittedly I am talking about State/Lake which is one of the last loop stations and is very crowded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development