HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #11141  
Old Posted May 21, 2019, 1:25 AM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is offline
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Nice!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11142  
Old Posted May 21, 2019, 11:07 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 8,576
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11143  
Old Posted May 21, 2019, 9:27 PM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is offline
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 965
Nice looking building!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11144  
Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:07 AM
Samwill89 Samwill89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 432
It's quite a shame that the new design seems like a huge downgrade from the original proposed years ago:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11145  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:23 AM
gclass's Avatar
gclass gclass is offline
downtown houston
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 14

^^^ the 34-story THE RESIDENCES AT THE ALLEN will sit atop a 178-key THOMPSON HOTEL upon a 6-acre site at ALLEN PARKWAY houston.

Last edited by gclass; May 27, 2019 at 3:32 AM. Reason: needs update
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11146  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 4:36 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Yank in Tex
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TXpatriate
Posts: 2,155
Even though the original versions of both of the Allen Parkway projects above have been ..distilled down, shall we say.. I would rather have these two projects be built than more aspirational projects that make it no further than the drawing boards.

As more proposals come out, I am beginning to envision a future corridor of high-rise and dense mid-rise development along Allen Parkway extending out from the downtown skyline and along the Bayou. The growth of Houston's core districts between Downtown and Uptown is beginning to take a form similar to the chunk of Los Angeles between Downtown LA and Century City, or Manhattan between Midtown and the Financial District, but turned 90 degrees. You could further extend that to the Medical Center and chart a triangle. The greater central Houston taking form as the city grows and emerges on the world stage. It's so cool to watch happening, tbh.
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11147  
Old Posted May 27, 2019, 6:41 PM
JAYNYC JAYNYC is offline
Live From The 212
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Even though the original versions of both of the Allen Parkway projects above have been ..distilled down, shall we say.. I would rather have these two projects be built than more aspirational projects that make it no further than the drawing boards.

As more proposals come out, I am beginning to envision a future corridor of high-rise and dense mid-rise development along Allen Parkway extending out from the downtown skyline and along the Bayou. The growth of Houston's core districts between Downtown and Uptown is beginning to take a form similar to the chunk of Los Angeles between Downtown LA and Century City, or Manhattan between Midtown and the Financial District, but turned 90 degrees. You could further extend that to the Medical Center and chart a triangle. The greater central Houston taking form as the city grows and emerges on the world stage. It's so cool to watch happening, tbh.
How cool would it be to see another 900+ footer rise on the northern edge of Uptown? Something that would "balance out" the Williams (Transco) tower on the southern edge would be awesome.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11148  
Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:48 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 8,576
The Village of Southampton


https://twitter.com/spawglass1953
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11149  
Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:30 PM
TowerSpotter's Avatar
TowerSpotter TowerSpotter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston / El Salvador
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
How cool would it be to see another 900+ footer rise on the northern edge of Uptown? Something that would "balance out" the Williams (Transco) tower on the southern edge would be awesome.
One day, we are starting to see them push 40+ stories near the Astoria. Mcnair's project near Williams tower is getting close as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11150  
Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:41 PM
DBGHouston DBGHouston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
The Village of Southampton


https://twitter.com/spawglass1953
While a lot has been made of the proximity of La Colombe d'Or and 1660 Post Oak and their respective neighbors, this seems a better example of " too close for comfort." Would HCAD assess condo units on one side of this building vs. the other differently, all other things being equal?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11151  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 2:56 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 8,576
Zadok Jewelers to develop mixed-use project on Post Oak

This kills the 44-story hotel proposal: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...d.php?t=230700

Quote:
The owner of Zadok Jewelers, a decades-old family-owned business in the Galleria area, is redeveloping a prime site on Post Oak Boulevard as a mixed-use project that will house its new store, two restaurants and upscale office space.

The Zadok family purchased the 1.65-acre property in 2012 from developer Gerald Hines, who built a retail center there in 1971 called Post Oak Row. The 23,000-square-foot strip center at 1801 Post Oak Blvd. was the former home of Tony's, one of Houston's oldest restaurants and one of the top-rated in the city. Tony's moved to a new building in Greenway Plaza in 2005.

Construction will start in August on a five-story, 112,000-square-foot building designed by Austin-based Michael Hsu Office of Architecture, the Zadoks announced Wednesday. The building is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2020.
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11152  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:59 AM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,005
I actually like that better than the 44 story hotel. Better street presence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11153  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:13 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 8,576
Lower Heights District developer disclose plans for urban site in The Heights


Quote:
Construction recently started at Lower Heights District, a 24-acre site a mile west of downtown, just south of Interstate 10 between Sawyer and Studemont, a burgeoning neighborhood of upscale restaurants, art studios and shops.

While the first phase of the project — a 370-unit apartment complex and 78,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space — is under construction, plans are in the works for a cinema and dining concept, office buildings and more apartments and shops, according to Gulf Coast Commercial Group, the Houston developer that bought the site in 2015 for $40 million.

...Lower Heights District, designed by Gensler, is also designed to be open and walkable, with small plazas and green spaces. Diners will spill onto outdoor restaurant patios and the project, near the hike and bike trail, will cater to trail users as well as nearby residents, the developer said.

Gulf Coast said there are plans to develop a 120,000-square-foot office building constructed with cross-laminated timber wood panels made from several layers of lumber glued and stacked that is said to be an environmentally friendly construction material.

...Total Wine and Ulta Beauty have finalized leases for the retail space underway, but the developer would not reveal names of the other tenants it is talking to.









EllenOlenska
__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11154  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:10 PM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SXSW
Posts: 8,576
Valley Ranch Commerce District - New Caney, Texas

Quote:
Valley Ranch has multiple commercial districts. The town center and entertainment district will feature over 300K SF of office space, multifamily developments, a movie theater, restaurants, bars, retail and over 100 acres of parks, lakes and connectivity to the entire Valley Ranch development. The Commerce District, the 57-acre site on the southwest corner of Grand Parkway and Interstate 69, will target corporate relocations and expansion partially driven by the district's access to George Bush Intercontinental Airport, The Woodlands, Springwoods Village and Downtown Houston.


__________________
HAIF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11155  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:14 PM
TowerSpotter's Avatar
TowerSpotter TowerSpotter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston / El Salvador
Posts: 254
Woah. I live 5 minutes away from this development and if built it would be like another version of The Woodloods but on interstate 69 instead. This would also be like the 3rd design change they have made so far.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11156  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:36 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,005
I live in Kingwood, this would actually be pretty cool and very close to us.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11157  
Old Posted May 30, 2019, 10:53 PM
TexasPlaya's Avatar
TexasPlaya TexasPlaya is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATX-HTOWN
Posts: 8,017
NE Houston really coming into its own. I haven't driven up that way since before BW8 was completed in this area and it's changed a lot. Lots of logistics and manufacturing seemed to have moved to near the airport while Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita are really starting to mature.

Not to mention, when the hell did 59N get redone, it looks nice up there. I usually never venture east of I45.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11158  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:20 AM
llamaorama llamaorama is offline
Unicorn Wizard!
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
NE Houston really coming into its own. I haven't driven up that way since before BW8 was completed in this area and it's changed a lot. Lots of logistics and manufacturing seemed to have moved to near the airport while Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita are really starting to mature.

Not to mention, when the hell did 59N get redone, it looks nice up there. I usually never venture east of I45.
59 is nice now but it won't be in the future. I just live in this area because I got a good deal on an apartment, but I don't love it.

It's so strange how behind the trees up 1314 and the GP there are miles and miles of trailer slums. These poor areas don't have municipal services and look dirty. Unlike the original section of Kingwood which preserved the trees and was neatly planned, the current McMansion and cheapo 'starter home' growth doesn't. Something about this place just makes me sour. It's still white trash here too. Last month some guy shot his girlfriend in my apartment complex and I see police cars with flashing lights at night way too often.

Some tilt-wall office buildings(do you believe that rendering?) won't add anything to the area. There won't be enough jobs or residents to support ground floor retail or things like that. The area doesn't have the population or demographics to fill out the existing Valley Ranch shopping center as it is, which already lost a couple stores that had barely opened.

Oil is going to stay too cheap for stuff like this and Generation Park, IMO. Typical Houston.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11159  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:30 AM
TexasPlaya's Avatar
TexasPlaya TexasPlaya is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ATX-HTOWN
Posts: 8,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
59 is nice now but it won't be in the future. I just live in this area because I got a good deal on an apartment, but I don't love it.

It's so strange how behind the trees up 1314 and the GP there are miles and miles of trailer slums. These poor areas don't have municipal services and look dirty. Unlike the original section of Kingwood which preserved the trees and was neatly planned, the current McMansion and cheapo 'starter home' growth doesn't. Something about this place just makes me sour. It's still white trash here too. Last month some guy shot his girlfriend in my apartment complex and I see police cars with flashing lights at night way too often.

Some tilt-wall office buildings(do you believe that rendering?) won't add anything to the area. There won't be enough jobs or residents to support ground floor retail or things like that. The area doesn't have the population or demographics to fill out the existing Valley Ranch shopping center as it is, which already lost a couple stores that had barely opened.

Oil is going to stay too cheap for stuff like this and Generation Park, IMO. Typical Houston.
It's not so strange considering a lot of Houston is extremely poor, like old south poor. N/NE Houston definitely reminds of East Texas poverty (tall pine trees and white trash-ish) as I've been through some of those areas off the freeway throughout my life in Houston.

I was more commenting on my drive and time up in NE Houston, Kingwood area most specifically, and how much it has changed/matured. I don't believe the actual project will look anything like those renderings but the "New Caney" area resembles what Rosenberg/Richmond (far SW Houston) looked like 10-20 years before it grew rapidly. Kingwood has definitely aged well in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11160  
Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:01 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
59 is nice now but it won't be in the future. I just live in this area because I got a good deal on an apartment, but I don't love it.

It's so strange how behind the trees up 1314 and the GP there are miles and miles of trailer slums. These poor areas don't have municipal services and look dirty. Unlike the original section of Kingwood which preserved the trees and was neatly planned, the current McMansion and cheapo 'starter home' growth doesn't. Something about this place just makes me sour. It's still white trash here too. Last month some guy shot his girlfriend in my apartment complex and I see police cars with flashing lights at night way too often.

Some tilt-wall office buildings(do you believe that rendering?) won't add anything to the area. There won't be enough jobs or residents to support ground floor retail or things like that. The area doesn't have the population or demographics to fill out the existing Valley Ranch shopping center as it is, which already lost a couple stores that had barely opened.

Oil is going to stay too cheap for stuff like this and Generation Park, IMO. Typical Houston.
Wondering if you're a reincarnation of some guy with the ID of Edluv, who I believe was from Sugar Land. Your posts are very similar, and he disappeared a while back. Just curious.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.