HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:11 PM
DT Hfx DT Hfx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 129
Flynn Flats 2018-8-24 by DwN~toWN Halifax, on Flickr

The crane went up 7 months ago....and now topped out already! This one is 10 stories at the highest level.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:36 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,573
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 12:02 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 809
Brick is going in on the upper floors, and the front doors and windows are going in on the Bishop St. townhouses. I never fail to be impressed by Dexel's quality of design and the efficiency of their project management.

Also, the title of this thread should be updated to Flynn Flats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:25 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,573
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 5:19 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 809
Have no fear, the red wall is not a repeat of the Dillon; it is almost fully covered up now with a ceramic tile-type product.

Glass and doors are mostly in on the ground floors.

And for you crane watchers: I got a notice in my mailbox that Hollis is going to be closed this coming weekend to facilitate the removal of the crane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 8:54 PM
RoshanMcG RoshanMcG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 264




Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 6:18 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,751
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 4:31 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,751
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:45 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,751
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:04 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 809
I'm super happy with this tile cladding product they're using.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 4:54 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I'm super happy with this tile cladding product they're using.
I was at first as well, but as more and more of it goes up the less I am liking it. It doesn't quite pull off being sandstone as they had hoped and the manufactured and repeated designs on the panels are very evident if you look for more than a few seconds.

I will still wait to see the final product when all the other components are added but I think this material is not well suited to replicate stone or textured patterns over a large area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:20 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,751
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 9:51 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,751
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 9:29 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was at first as well, but as more and more of it goes up the less I am liking it. It doesn't quite pull off being sandstone as they had hoped and the manufactured and repeated designs on the panels are very evident if you look for more than a few seconds.

I will still wait to see the final product when all the other components are added but I think this material is not well suited to replicate stone or textured patterns over a large area.
Yeah, I was just by there this afternoon, and it kind of looks like a floor-tile pattern, mis-assembled, at a massive scale. Plain grey or white stone would have been much better. I'm pretty happy with the building otherwise, so maybe this won't end up being such a big deal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:36 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
There needs to be an effort now to try to hold on to any old buildings that are left on that street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:53 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
There needs to be an effort now to try to hold on to any old buildings that are left on that street.
Yep. This is a really architecturally dense and rich area, with buildings spanning almost three centuries. It is part of a planed heritage-conservation district, which has been in the works for years and years yet still seems to be years and years from implementation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:31 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,573
It's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are well cared for and which are at risk. For example, those wooden rowhouses on Morris Street are always kept in good shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner tries to sell or tear down the 3 storey apartment building across from Flynn Flats. It's too bad; a good restoration job could turn that into a very attractive building that would complement the neighbourhood well. The same was true of the buildings torn down for Flynn Flats.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:41 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Yep. This is a really architecturally dense and rich area, with buildings spanning almost three centuries. It is part of a planed heritage-conservation district, which has been in the works for years and years yet still seems to be years and years from implementation.
Hopefully it will be implemented while there are still some heritage buildings left!

On that topic, have there been any updates on these two Barrington St. buildings that are at risk of demolition?
https://goo.gl/maps/QmMCVPhaUGu

https://goo.gl/maps/RJDpaZZhNT82
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:58 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's usually pretty easy to tell which ones are well cared for and which are at risk. For example, those wooden rowhouses on Morris Street are always kept in good shape, but I wouldn't be surprised if the owner tries to sell or tear down the 3 storey apartment building across from Flynn Flats. It's too bad; a good restoration job could turn that into a very attractive building that would complement the neighbourhood well. The same was true of the buildings torn down for Flynn Flats.
Actually, the 3 buildings torn down for Flynn Flats didn't look that bad, other than the standard 'modernizing' that had been done to them over the years. They really could have shone with a Hal Forbes-style refurbishing, but it's a little too late for than now... on both counts unfortunately.

https://goo.gl/maps/2wJ34rFp7z52
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:21 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hopefully it will be implemented while there are still some heritage buildings left!

On that topic, have there been any updates on these two Barrington St. buildings that are at risk of demolition?
I know the city and owner were trying to reach a decision that would preserve them in full. The developer applied for demolition three years ago as of last October, so he can legally demolish them now--but that period ends as of this October, after which he'd have to apply for a new permit, and wait another three years. I haven't heard anything about it, and four months after demolition was permissible both buildings are still occupied, so I guess that's a good sign, thought not definitive.

As for the building across from Flynn Flats, yeah, that would be an atrocious loss. It's pitiful that the conversation district for here has been in a holding pattern for so long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.