HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
I can't quite figure this proposal out. The address is 4900 S. Syracuse which is the site of the existing Marriott Tech Center. That building is only 12 stories. So, I can't tell if this is a vertical expansion of the existing structure or a new building in the parking lot. It's listed as Kimpton Hotel - Belleview Station. However, there is another 17 story hotel proposed on the west side of I-25 right adjacent to the LRT platform.
I had heard the Kimpton will be on the west side of 25, adjacent to the new office building U/C.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:46 AM

Images courtesy ZOCALO/Studio

https://zocalodevelopment.com/zocalo...ts/the-quayle/
Quote:
Historic charm meets the perfect South Broadway location at The Quayle – a landmark turned social center for Denver’s Baker neighborhood. Once the 1st Avenue Hotel, The Quayle will feature 102-units of affordable – apartments for renters who earn 60 percent of the Area Median Income. The ground floor will include nearly 11,000 square feet of retail and have four new neighborhood-friendly restaurant tenants.
https://livethequayle.com/
Quote:
A timeless fixture on the prominent Denver street is now offering brand new affordable, income restricted apartments.
They're just starting to rent units; (at least) 10 units available so far.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
[...]

A Google image search on that fellow returns "hipster", and provides links to stock photos of the same model.

Just amusing to me.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:01 PM

Hilarious, he certainly checks a lot of Denver Hipster boxes:
- Fixed wheel bike and messenger bag
- Manicured beard and freshly-slicked back haircut
- Vintage button down shirt, shorts and shoes (that probably combined cost over $500)
- Expensive watch (even though he works at a coffee shop)
- An appropriate number of tattoos

Just needs the obligatory Apple laptop with local Brewery stickers

Last edited by BG918; Aug 25, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:32 PM

Not the best skyline view but a reliable cam. Apologies for the advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq68_K0YlIA

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:24 PM

Very nice clear camera view from, let me guess, the top of one of the office buildings near the Rugby stadium in Glendale. Love that view with the Indian Peaks ( Longs and Meeker too) in the distance. Moved back to my native Oregon, but i will always have love in my heart for this beautiful city.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 10:14 PM

^ Yep the mountain view from this angle is superior to that looking directly west toward Mt Evans, IMO. This showcases the Upper Downtown core but completely hides 1801 California and makes the Mid-Downtown skyline look really small (4S, 1144, Tabor, etc). Golden Triangle is in full view with its increasing density. You can see the Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park mini-skyline that gets more dated every year, and the Cherry Creek cluster on the far lower right.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:16 AM

The new Denver Skyline

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnboi303 View Post
The new Denver Skyline

Looks awesome! Probably won't have that sort of infill for +40 years but it looks awesome!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
Very nice clear camera view from, let me guess, the top of one of the office buildings near the Rugby stadium in Glendale.

Yep.

https://42floors.com/us/co/denver/41...ississippi-ave

Quote:
Love that view with the Indian Peaks ( Longs and Meeker too) in the distance. Moved back to my native Oregon, but i will always have love in my heart for this beautiful city.

Winter morning views can be spectacular. I'll have to get some captures.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 5:34 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
...Here's holding out hope that one of the local unicorns goes from a $1B cap to a $100B cap.
My personal take is that we don't have the well heeled developers that big cities have to do the big super-talls (or generally tall development) and we have, thus far, lacked the vanity projects of larger corporations because we generally lack large corporations able to do that and the ones we do have choose to stay in DTC or SE metro. Though we do have the institutional capital interested in that sort of large project in Denver, we don't have a qualified developer to get it to the point of capital being interested - ie millions of dollars of at-risk pre-development capital from a local developer team.

DaVita could have anchored a super-tall in Denver, but their leadership failed to accommodate for the growth they've experienced; thus no larger building. VF Corp could have anchored a supertall, but they chose speed over vanity (and the timing just so worked out that the old Gates building was 100% vacant and perfectly aligned with VF's initial hiring needs. Hines is an example of a well heeled developer and they did get a fairly significant, modestly tall, building completed (though still roughly half the square footage of projects in the 1980's and comparable office skyscrapers in other coastal cities happening this cycle). Also, unicorns don't commission supertalls, established giants who used to be unicorns 10 years ago do.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I had heard the Kimpton will be on the west side of 25, adjacent to the new office building U/C.
The plot thickens!

Stonebridge owns the existing Extended Stay America and was recently issued demolition permits to be replaced by replacement.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:00 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
[B]...
While I didn't set a high bar for grading I've gotta say that Denver is getting a lot of bang for their light and commuter rail buck with respect to TOD.
...and yet our transit numbers continue retreating because RTD has raised prices so high we're the most expensive large transit agency in America! So really, we've gotten tax dollars bang for our buck but we haven't gotten any bang for the buck in that we're not taking cars off the road!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
My personal take is that we don't have the well heeled developers that big cities have to do the big super-talls (or generally tall development) and we have, thus far, lacked the vanity projects of larger corporations because we generally lack large corporations able to do that and the ones we do have choose to stay in DTC or SE metro. Though we do have the institutional capital interested in that sort of large project in Denver, we don't have a qualified developer to get it to the point of capital being interested - ie millions of dollars of at-risk pre-development capital from a local developer team.

DaVita could have anchored a super-tall in Denver, but their leadership failed to accommodate for the growth they've experienced; thus no larger building. VF Corp could have anchored a supertall, but they chose speed over vanity (and the timing just so worked out that the old Gates building was 100% vacant and perfectly aligned with VF's initial hiring needs. Hines is an example of a well heeled developer and they did get a fairly significant, modestly tall, building completed (though still roughly half the square footage of projects in the 1980's and comparable office skyscrapers in other coastal cities happening this cycle). Also, unicorns don't commission supertalls, established giants who used to be unicorns 10 years ago do.
If the economic case was compelling, developers would come. Several have poked at Denver.

As for established giants building supertalls, what's an example? Comcast and Salesforce are in cities with several times Denver's land prices and tiny parking ratios...what's an example outside of that sort of city?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
If the economic case was compelling, developers would come. Several have poked at Denver.

As for established giants building supertalls, what's an example? Comcast and Salesforce are in cities with several times Denver's land prices and tiny parking ratios...what's an example outside of that sort of city?
Oklahoma City

Honestly, I feel even coastal (outside of a few) aren't even building supertalls when it comes to corporal vanity... Most are being built due to land/price restrictions. Cities like Houston and Boston, and so many others just aren't building them, and a lot of cities that are building them are strictly because of lack of land. Denvers are on the shorter side overall because (in my opinion) there is just too much land and parking lots available to really justify 50+ story buildings... Sad, but true... but holy crap has Denver taken a huge urban jump just by adding infill and a few high-rises

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Oklahoma City

Honestly, I feel even coastal (outside of a few) aren't even building supertalls when it comes to corporal vanity... Most are being built due to land/price restrictions. Cities like Houston and Boston, and so many others just aren't building them, and a lot of cities that are building them are strictly because of lack of land. Denvers are on the shorter side overall because (in my opinion) there is just too much land and parking lots available to really justify 50+ story buildings... Sad, but true... but holy crap has Denver taken a huge urban jump just by adding infill and a few high-rises
And now that same company in OKC (Devon) has multiple empty floors. Not the best example to follow.

Outside of NYC and Chicago you have the condo boom in Miami which has added numerous highrises along with several in Austin and Seattle. I think Denver could support a few more Spires in the 30-40 story range in and around downtown.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
The plot thickens!

Stonebridge owns the existing Extended Stay America and was recently issued demolition permits to be replaced by replacement.
Two separate projects. The Extended Stay America between Quebec and Olive and the proposed Kimpton between Newport and Olive on Chenango. There is also a highrise apartment tower proposed for the other half of the block on Newport.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Two separate projects. The Extended Stay America between Quebec and Olive and the proposed Kimpton between Newport and Olive on Chenango. There is also a highrise apartment tower proposed for the other half of the block on Newport.
So there's TWO luxury hotels planed: a 20 story (the Kimpton) and an 18 story (where the Extended Stay is now) within 2 blocks of each other:

The Extended Stay America hotel is owned by local hotelier Stonebridge Cos., which earlier this year successfully approached Denver City Council for the rezoning needed to build a much larger hotel on the site.

Stonebridge’s rezoning request was opposed by master planner Front Range on the grounds that a new hotel would benefit from infrastructure funded by other developers and property owners, according to The Denver Post.

City records show Stonebridge has submitted an early-stage development proposal for an 18-story hotel at the Extended Stay America site, and was issued demolition permits for the existing structures this month.

https://businessden.com/2019/08/26/2...eview-station/

Sounds like there's a race to get shovels in the ground. I doubt that both would get built, but who knows. This would be a good location for a Four Seasons-like condo/hotel combo structure (like the one downtown).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Sounds like there's a race to get shovels in the ground. I doubt that both would get built, but who knows.
What I wondered as well... That the Kimpton developers have a thin track record was partly a concern.

That said there's several sites in Scottsdale where Marriott branded hotels are built right next to each other; maybe an Hampton Inn & Suites plus a lower priced sibling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
...and yet our transit numbers continue retreating because RTD has raised prices so high we're the most expensive large transit agency in America! So really, we've gotten tax dollars bang for our buck but we haven't gotten any bang for the buck in that we're not taking cars off the road!
Any idea how many riders pay the retail price as opposed to one of several discounted options?

Interestingly, bus ridership had been trending down since 2014 until the 1st quarter of this year when it was up by 11% so apparently raising rates was magical?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 11:01 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Several well heeled developers have built and are building in Denver, just at smaller scales than other places despite Denver outperforming coastal cities (from a RE return standpoint for nearly a decade). Why Denver always gets smaller, I don't have a good explanation other than the remaining perceived fear that we have a boom and bust economy.

As for giants building supertalls, the entire City of Charlotte comes to mind with all the banks that built vanity towers in their lifeless downtown, Chicago is getting quite a few new ones in this cycle (BofA Tower is a gem!), Los Angeles' Wilshire Grand anchored by a giant, pretty much everything in NYC has a giant behind it...even Atlanta has a 53 story tower proposed (mainly residential) with several hundred thousand sf of office in it - that's how Denver needs to be getting supertalls - mixed-use towers. Giants also build campuses or occupy suburbia. Charles Schwab, Ball, Newmont, Western Union - these are all companies who could have been leveraged to build supertalls in Downtown Denver, but instead chose mediocre suburban office space not because the lease rates are drastically cheaper but because that's where their employees want to work (RE occupancy cost for companies of those sizes is minuscule and $10/sf or more isn't going to influence a decision such as corporate headquarters relocation. I am of firm belief that Denver doesn't get supertalls because DTC and SE can still attract those companies to locations 2 miles from their executives Cherry Hills homes and all their employees making $85k+/year. DTC is getting close to full so that's positive, but now with Lone Tree v2.0....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West