HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7781  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:06 PM
cwilly cwilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 49
Market Street Place

A couple photos of Market Street Place from this morning. The exterior is nearly complete.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7782  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:24 AM
Jerry of San Fran's Avatar
Jerry of San Fran Jerry of San Fran is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,123
cwilly - thanks for the update for Market Street Place. I'm always on the MUNI & never get a good look at the building. I find it to be a beautiful, handsome building.
__________________
(Essex) Fox Plaza Resident Since 1971 (the building everyone loves to hate :>)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7783  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:10 AM
fflint's Avatar
fflint fflint is offline
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 22,207
Assuming it fills up with stores that appeal to locals and tourists, Market Street Place will be a game-changer for a block that never fully recovered from the disruption of BART/Muni subway construction. The design will likely help. The glass facade will glow brightly, and show off what's for sale on each floor, visually announcing a sea shift along this stretch of Market.
__________________
"You need both a public and a private position." --Hillary Clinton, speaking behind closed doors to the National Multi-Family Housing Council, 2013
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7784  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:08 AM
fimiak's Avatar
fimiak fimiak is offline
Build Baby Build
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 879
I doubt it will be open for Back to School..but be prepared for it to be packed for Christmas season. More foot traffic, restaurants, and stores is always a good thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7785  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 10:01 PM
tall/awkward tall/awkward is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
I'm sure everybody's already seen this.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ower-site.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7786  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 11:26 PM
a very long weekend's Avatar
a very long weekend a very long weekend is offline
dazzle me
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 94109
Posts: 763
that's not a supertall (300m+) and also, it won't be our last. foundry square was a colossal error and those will, i'd gather, all four end up there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7787  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 1:11 AM
NYC2ATX's Avatar
NYC2ATX NYC2ATX is offline
Yank in Tex
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: TXpatriate
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Assuming it fills up with stores that appeal to locals and tourists, Market Street Place will be a game-changer for a block that never fully recovered from the disruption of BART/Muni subway construction. The design will likely help. The glass facade will glow brightly, and show off what's for sale on each floor, visually announcing a sea shift along this stretch of Market.
While not the most architecturally stirring example, the retail structure just south of and facing Union Square in Manhattan has just the sort of presence you described, with stores like Whole Foods, Burlington, Forever 21 and formerly a Filene's Basement. It is all glass and is of extraordinary visual interest, especially at night, and demonstrates a sense of importance to that particular corner of Union Square, and in a larger sense, the surrounding neighborhood.
__________________
BUILD IT. BUILD EVERYTHING. BUILD IT ALL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7788  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 5:56 PM
fflint's Avatar
fflint fflint is offline
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 22,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
I'm sure everybody's already seen this.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ower-site.html


I like it!
__________________
"You need both a public and a private position." --Hillary Clinton, speaking behind closed doors to the National Multi-Family Housing Council, 2013
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7789  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:05 PM
viewguysf's Avatar
viewguysf viewguysf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
that's not a supertall (300m+) and also, it won't be our last. foundry square was a colossal error and those will, i'd gather, all four end up there.
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I love Foundry Square's uniqueness in such an urban setting, think it creates an interesting interlude among the towers, and have architectural friends who feel likewise. It isn't going anywhere for a long, long time and certainly wasn't "a colossal error" imo. They form a perfect backdrop to the south side of TT's rooftop park, allowing it to receive much more sun while not being boring boxes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7790  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:13 PM
fflint's Avatar
fflint fflint is offline
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 22,207
Foundry Square took some of the only parcels in this part of the world where skyscrapers could have gone--seriously, almost none of Northern California is zoned for actual skyscrapers--and wasted that potential with squat buildings more suitable to similarly-scaled areas like Mission Bay, South San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.

But whatever. Foundry Square brought the suburbs to the Financial District, and we have to live with it.
__________________
"You need both a public and a private position." --Hillary Clinton, speaking behind closed doors to the National Multi-Family Housing Council, 2013
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7791  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:42 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,559
Really digging that new tower!
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7792  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:55 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I love Foundry Square's uniqueness in such an urban setting, think it creates an interesting interlude among the towers, and have architectural friends who feel likewise. It isn't going anywhere for a long, long time and certainly wasn't "a colossal error" imo. They form a perfect backdrop to the south side of TT's rooftop park, allowing it to receive much more sun while not being boring boxes.
I understand both arguments about Foundry Square. The design is not spectacular but neither is it horrible. The height thing doesn't bother me much for now. It will give a better view of all the new towers and provide future redevelopment opportunities. I agree that its best not to have only skyscrapers lining the sides of TBT rooftop park. This is not Dubai circa 2005.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7793  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 7:23 PM
viewguysf's Avatar
viewguysf viewguysf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Foundry Square took some of the only parcels in this part of the world where skyscrapers could have gone--seriously, almost none of Northern California is zoned for actual skyscrapers--and wasted that potential with squat buildings more suitable to similarly-scaled areas like Mission Bay, South San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.

But whatever. Foundry Square brought the suburbs to the Financial District, and we have to live with it.
We can only wish that many (most?) of the buildings in Mission Bay were at least as interesting as Foundry Square.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7794  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 4:38 AM
1977's Avatar
1977 1977 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 963
Nice shot showing the Transbay Terminal, Salesforce Tower, 181 Fremont, and 33 Tehama (formerly 41 Tehama) under construction. Also, the parcel where 546 Howard (Parcel F) will rise.

SF Building Boom by Ted, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7795  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 4:37 AM
a very long weekend's Avatar
a very long weekend a very long weekend is offline
dazzle me
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: 94109
Posts: 763
foundry square is an absurdity in context. all four of those corners should be 650-1000 foot towers, because, as flint said, there literally nowhere else to build them. i'd be okay with those buildings if could build somewhere else, but we can't. i would be willing to bet that one of those four sites will have a development application pending inside of 10 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7796  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 1:45 AM
timbad timbad is offline
heavy user of walkability
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mission Bay, San Francisco
Posts: 2,325
across Clementina Alley from Solaire, it looks like work may have started on the other part of the block 6/7 complex. this is from last week:



in Dogpatch, here is the northern project on Indiana...



... and as seen from the freeway:



... while this is the southern Indiana project, with the one on 23rd St in the distance:



Potrero1010 is seeing more foliage for Daggett Park:



and the skyline from Bernal Hill again, now in summer colors

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7797  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:40 PM
PBuchman PBuchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 67
^ Wonderful pictures!

From the Bernal Heights one, it's evident that both 400 and 500 Folsom will have big impacts on the skyline from that angle, in addition to SFT and 181 Fremont.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7798  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:44 PM
kdeff kdeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF/LA/DC
Posts: 32
Any reason why 50 1st isnt on the renderings of Parcel F?

Foundry Square has always seemed disappointing to me since the start of this construction boom. It really belongs in Mission Bay or San Jose. Does anyone know the average time it would take for it to pay for itself? I know thats not a simple calculation, but I can't imagine the owners wouldn't want to build taller and make more money long term.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7799  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 11:11 PM
viewguysf's Avatar
viewguysf viewguysf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeff View Post
Foundry Square has always seemed disappointing to me since the start of this construction boom. It really belongs in Mission Bay or San Jose. Does anyone know the average time it would take for it to pay for itself? I know thats not a simple calculation, but I can't imagine the owners wouldn't want to build taller and make more money long term.
From today's SF Business Times:

"Tishman Speyer’s 290,000 square-foot Foundry III at 505 Howard, could sell for upwards of $1,000 per square foot."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...es-brexit.html

This complex isn't going anywhere for a very long time for economic and political reasons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7800  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 3:28 AM
Jerry of San Fran's Avatar
Jerry of San Fran Jerry of San Fran is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,123
Salesforce & 181 Fremont

A view from the new addition to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Today was my first visit. I like the public areas - gardens, restaurant, cafes. I don't dislike the new building but think it would have benefited if built elsewhere. 07/07/2016

Construction: Salesforce & 181 Fremont
__________________
(Essex) Fox Plaza Resident Since 1971 (the building everyone loves to hate :>)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:30 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.