HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Doubletree Hotel New York City - Financial District in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:33 AM

Smile NEW YORK | 8 Stone St. | 404 FT / 123 M | 43 FLOORS

This building is all kinds of top secret, super-bonus-Sam Chang-hotel-deluxe. In any other city we'd be hemming and hawing over a 43 story building (even a hotel), but in NY, this hasn't even hit what one would consider "the radar." Well no more! I'll have some crappy iphone pictures tomorrow, and if the weather improves at all, maybe some real photos. They're pretty high up on the concrete pouring for this one (although I don't believe finished quite yet), and the brick work is up a ton of floors as well (although no windows). Anyway, talk amongst yourselves while I pull myself together and get us pictures. It's amazing to me how many projects in NY never even come up, considering their immensity compared to most other cities. As far as SChang hotels go, this building is bland, which is a huge improvement over the downright ugly that many of them are. Not surprisingly, the architect of record is a one Gene Kaufman.

Curbed has a photo of the parking lot that was formerly there: http://curbed.com/archives/2008/04/1..._fidi_flip.php

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
It's amazing to me how many projects in NY never even come up, considering their immensity compared to most other cities.
True story... so many things happening right now in NYC (even in this economy) that aren't even mentioned on this forum.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:09 PM

Heard this one is already topped off. Recent rendering look quite hideous.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:52 PM

Here it is:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:56 PM

Crappy iPhone pictures as promised. The rendering looks surprisingly accurate, which while mega-bland is not the ultimate in ugly, thank goodness.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 4:02 PM

Boy time flies when you're having fun. Here it is a month later and I just finally had a chance, not only to take, but to post some photos of this, uhh, thing. The shape of the building and the lot itself are very strange. Much like many downtown buildings built recently, it's sort of crammed in however they can fit it. Also, we can trash Chang all he wants, but unlike Avalon (who I like better), he's bricking over the floorplates.

And one from the back:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:48 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Oh hey McSam.

It really is a pity that Gene Kaufman can build hundreds of high-rises like this across the city and the planning commision punishes someone like Nouvel for striving to do something noble and creative.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 12:17 AM
millard fillmore

Just mind-boggling. The building doesn't strive to do anything more than simply exist. It doesn't try to look neo-anything nor does it attempt modern. It ignores even the notion of context by dismissing the basic courtesy of aligning to its neighboring buildings. It doesn't even respond to basic logic of capturing what little sun can filter through the canyon, and instead cowers in the shadows of its neighbors.

There is no redeeming architectural value in this building or any of GK's buildings. I think that has been made clear quite often. But I think it brings to light the abhorrent nature of Walmarchitecture firms. It is about nothing more than delivering the goods at the absolute lowest price (and quality). About one man making off with a hefty income while consciously insulting the countless firms with even a lingering, spectral notion of integrity. I guess economics wins in this case. Fine.

Sorry, I know this horse has been beat mercilessly for years.

Last edited by samoen313; Oct 13, 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoen313 View Post
Just mind-boggling. The building doesn't strive to do anything more than simply exist. It doesn't try to look neo-anything nor does it attempt modern. It ignores even the notion of context by dismissing the basic courtesy of aligning to its neighboring buildings. It doesn't even respond to basic logic of capturing what little sun can filter through the canyon, and instead cowers in the shadows of its neighbors.

There is no redeeming architectural value in this building or any of GK's buildings. I think that has been made clear quite often. But I think it brings to light the abhorrent nature of Walmarchitecture firms. It is about nothing more than delivering the goods at the absolute lowest price (and quality). About one man making off with a hefty income while consciously insulting the countless firms with even a lingering, spectral notion of integrity. I guess economics wins in this case. Fine.

Sorry, I know this horse has been beat mercilessly for years.
But it so much deserves to be; and I hope and pray that someday very soon, the kind of succinctly brutal, yet justly warranted condemnation the you've graced us with today is used to take the metaphorical corpse's ashen remnants and gouge it into the obviously blinkered eyes of whomever this craven travesty may concern.
This firm and the New York Nimbies (sic) are dead even right now in the race to capture the outright and everlasting disrespect and contempt of all forward-thinking NYC-&-Environs residents.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 2:49 PM

this building disgust me....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 2:26 AM
Ex Houstonian

How did the person that designed this building graduate from an architectural school? Looks like something I would make from legos back when I was six.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 3:48 AM

This is awful looking. And as someone who does architectural renders as a profession I am offended. Look in the render how there's more detail on that rooftop stairway to the mechanical penthouse! Please, hire some freshman college intern and they will produce magical images compared to this.

As for the built thing, well, maybe this beast can be reclad in a few years.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:13 AM

Surprised more of this does not happen. Cheapest, most-simple building possible just to make money. We are lucky so much stuff looks so good (or at least blends in).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:22 AM

The top of the building looks so poor and crappy. I will never ever be fond of this one.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 8:20 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Any recent pics of the building completed?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Any recent pics of the building completed?
ill take some this week...prepare to cringe....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:07 PM
Ω

Who is this architect trying to ruin Manhattan??

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
idk but its being developed by Tritel.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:13 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Gene Kaufman seems to be designing all the McSam hotels.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 12:22 AM

For your viewing enjoyment [taken from my iPhone]:

Front:

Back [and awkward positioning to adjacent building]:

And Bonus!! 8 Stone Street's cousin only a few blocks away on Water Street. This thing popped up in the last year or two.

Last edited by sbarn; Aug 3, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive