HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 1:24 AM

Nova Scotia's new highway plan released

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 11:16 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 12:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I thought the second line said 101 Three Mile Plains to Yarmouth and got excited for a second.
(It’s just to Falmouth.)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 12:33 PM

Half a billion dollars just for one year of highways... And yet there's still people who think the gas tax pays for roads

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
Half a billion dollars just for one year of highways... And yet there's still people who think the gas tax pays for roads
The gas tax generates the majority of that amount.

How much does the bike tax generate to pay for cycling infrastructure?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

I'd like to see a source showing where the money for new road infrastructure and maintenance originates. The fact that it works to an average of $500 for every person in the province is ridiculous given we're a relatively low-income province where a good portion don't drive or drive relatively little (e.g. children, seniors, people living in the city, etc.).

Not sure why bringing in bikes to the discussion is necessary but whatever. Bikes cause practically zero damage to streets, so you build the infrastructure and generally that's it. There's relatively few negative externalities of a bike lane or pathway, in fact they generally make places nicer by encouraging healthy travel and benefitting businesses located near AT.

For roads on the other hand, there's constant need for reinvestment with maintenance, line repainting, sign replacement, bridge repair, landscaping, administration costs, and resurfacing, etc. Plus all of this work has to be done regardless of if there is lots of heavy traffic on the road or no traffic on the road. And that's not to mention the health costs of driving (higher obesity rates, car crashes, higher stress cause of sitting in traffic), land use impacts (more urban sprawl that's a drain on resources), and environmental damage.

Also does the province even spend a cent on bike infrastructure?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 5:16 PM

Same old tired argument. It’s been discussed in this forum before, that road infrastructure is needed for the province to function. Infrastructure costs money. End of discussion.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:26 PM

Sorry oldfartmark, I guess I didn't realize this discussion board was not supposed to discuss things anymore

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry oldfartmark, I guess I didn't realize this discussion board was not supposed to discuss things anymore
Are insults really necessary?

Discuss all you want, I have no power over what you want to post.

My opinion is that it’s already been discussed ad nauseum, but these types of circular discussions are not uncommon on Internet forums, so fill your boots. Maybe you could save time by just copy/pasting old posts (or maybe you did?).

Have fun with it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Are insults really necessary?

Discuss all you want, I have no power over what you want to post.

My opinion is that it’s already been discussed ad nauseum, but these types of circular discussions are not uncommon on Internet forums, so fill your boots. Maybe you could save time by just copy/pasting old posts (or maybe you did?).

Have fun with it.
Fair enough, nobody is forcing you to engage in a discussion you have no interest in.

And apologies for the "insult". Having the f and d keys right next to each other always be causing trouble .

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, nobody is forcing you to engage in a discussion you have no interest in.

And apologies for the "insult". Having the f and d keys right next to each other always be causing trouble .
My part of the discussion was what I posted. Then I ended it, literally. I could comment again if the discussion introduces new information - I believe I’m free to do that as long as I don’t break any forum rules.

Re: old fart comment…. If that’s the case, then you missed a few letters in between…

Seriously, though, I understand that most of us have a degree of passion for the topics being discussed, or we wouldn’t be here. I just find that the discussions go so much better if we can keep the personal comments out of it. We can disagree (strongly even) while still being civil to one another.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Can you provide a reference for that please. This CBC article states it is $260 million per year. The amount for road infrastructure does not include street maintenance for municipal infrastructure.

Much of the bike infrastructure is paid for through municipal property taxes, which everybody has paid into, including bicycle riders.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaz View Post
Can you provide a reference for that please. This CBC article states it is $260 million per year. The amount for road infrastructure does not include street maintenance for municipal infrastructure.

Much of the bike infrastructure is paid for through municipal property taxes, which everybody has paid into, including bicycle riders.
I find it a little confusing, personally. Perhaps somebody with accounting prowess can straighten this out.

Since no accountants are stepping up to explain this (), here's what I get, from diving into the numbers a little (from 2022 data):

Net total litres of gasoline sold in NS: 1,236,232,000 litres X 19.25 ¢/litre (provincial fuel tax on gasoline) = $237,974,660 (NS gasoline tax revenue)

Net total litres of diesel sold in NS: 415,788,000 X 19.55 ¢/litre (provincial fuel tax on diesel) = $81,286,554 (NS diesel tax revenue)

There's some propane used as fuel as well, but for this purpose it's negligible.
Source for fuel tax rates
Source for NS fuel sales for 2022

Add those revenues together and you get $319,261,214, which differs from the number given in the article (I have no idea why).

On top of that, the highway plan linked in one of the above posts states:
Quote:
Provincial – Highway funding in Nova Scotia includes all revenues
collected through provincial fuel taxes and registration of motor vehicles,
as well as other funding provided by the provincial government.
Almost every dollar from Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) fees and
the fuel tax goes back into provincial roads.
So, from the provincial budget, revenues from the Registry of Motor Vehicles is: $135,816,000.

Add the RMV revenue to the fuel tax revenue and you get: $455,077,214.

On top of that, there is money that comes from the federal government, and some cost-sharing from municipal governments. I don't have data for that.

Over and above, if one considers the HST (15%) on gasoline and diesel fuel, there's a ton more revenue coming into the budget directly from the sale of fuels. I don't have data on that, nor am I aware of the breakdown of what is taxed and what isn't (though I'm aware that in some cases there is tax on tax), let's just assume an average price of $1.50 per litre would include roughly $0.20 of HST. For the sake of simplicity, adding up the net total litres of gas and diesel (currently diesel is more expensive, but oh well) = 1,652,010,000 litres ---> HST collected might roughly be $330,402,000.

Not sure how much of that HST (federal or provincial component) would be diverted directly to road infrastructure, but if you look at revenue sources from motor vehicle registration and taxes on fuel, it looks like it's roughly in the neighbourhood of $785,000,000 give or take (plus any errors or misinterpretations I could have made). Unless I've made some grave error, it appears that motor vehicle owners/operators pay more than enough directly from motor vehicle ownership/usage to cover road infrastructure expenses.

I'm not sure why my numbers are not the same as those quoted by the provincial finance minister, nor do know why the article states that the tax is 15.5 ¢/litre when the federal document that I linked to above states that it's 19.25 ¢/litre for gasoline and 19.55 ¢/litre for diesel (the article doesn't differentiate).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 10:55 AM

OldDartmouthMark,

Thank you for the reply. I’m not sure I agree philosophically with the direct application of the registration fees (the cost of administrating licensing needs to be taken into account), but more specifically the HST (it is general revenue, and applying it just to the roads means we are putting roads ahead of other things). I think the original statement that it is covered by “fuel tax” is misleading.

The fact remains that the majority of municipal streets are covered by property taxes, and bicycle riders either directly or indirectly pay those. There are provincial offsets, which makes it complicated.

By the way, I’m not opposed to using general revenue in order to maintain roads; they are in the public good. The program presented by the NS government seems largely correct in the current fiscal environment. I would like to see faster progress on the 107 (to which I’m biased, as it is a personal benefit). I wouldn’t be supportive of a massive increase.

I also think the program of bike lanes is largely correct, although I’d be supportive of deferring some on street until the funds are available for proper off street.

I see no need to link the issues in a thread about the provinces highway spending program… it should be debated on it’s merits and affordability.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Since no accountants are stepping up to explain this (), here's what I get, from diving into the numbers a little (from 2022 data):

Net total litres of gasoline sold in NS: 1,236,232,000 litres X 19.25 ¢/litre (provincial fuel tax on gasoline) = $237,974,660 (NS gasoline tax revenue)

Net total litres of diesel sold in NS: 415,788,000 X 19.55 ¢/litre (provincial fuel tax on diesel) = $81,286,554 (NS diesel tax revenue)

Add those revenues together and you get $319,261,214, which differs from the number given in the article (I have no idea why).

On top of that, the highway plan linked in one of the above posts states:

So, from the provincial budget, revenues from the Registry of Motor Vehicles is: $135,816,000.

Add the RMV revenue to the fuel tax revenue and you get: $455,077,214.

Over and above, if one considers the HST (15%) on gasoline and diesel fuel, there's a ton more revenue coming into the budget directly from the sale of fuels. I don't have data on that, nor am I aware of the breakdown of what is taxed and what isn't (though I'm aware that in some cases there is tax on tax), let's just assume an average price of $1.50 per litre would include roughly $0.20 of HST. For the sake of simplicity, adding up the net total litres of gas and diesel (currently diesel is more expensive, but oh well) = 1,652,010,000 litres ---> HST collected might roughly be $330,402,000.

Not sure how much of that HST (federal or provincial component) would be diverted directly to road infrastructure, but if you look at revenue sources from motor vehicle registration and taxes on fuel, it looks like it's roughly in the neighbourhood of $785,000,000

Good work Mark, you saved me some time.

Back in 1999 John Hamm had an election platform that had over 100 promises. One of them was a pledge to use all of the fuel tax revenue on fixing roads, which for some reason seemed to be a hot-button issue at the time. Nobody knew what that figure was for whatever reason, but it sounded like a good promise.

Once he got elected the new govt had to figure out how to deal with all those promises and the new govt had the bureaucracy research them and develop options for making them reality. Imagine the surprise when they were told that the fuel tax revenue was just a fraction of what was being spent on roads and that they would need to add to it significantly from other sources to deal with the road promises that had been made. The number I recall from the time was in the area of $450 to $500 mil per year. Oddly enough the issue came up again a few years later when Russell MacKinnon introduced a private members bill to enshrine the principle in law, but of course that went nowhere.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 2:43 PM

What about Highway 113?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahogan9 View Post
What about Highway 113?
Who knows then that will ever get built. Should be sooner than later though!

If I was in the NS department of Transportation I would be looking at a bypass for Hebbs Cross, Italy Cross, Middlewood. It’s one of the last bad sections of the 103 that’s left with a lot of houses and at grade intersections. Clyde River is one of the other sections. There is also still about 6-7 other at grade crossings on the controlled access parts of the highway.

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Dec 16, 2023 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 5:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Who knows then that will ever get built. Should be sooner than later though!

If I was in the NS department of Transportation I would be looking at a bypass for Hebbs Cross, Italy Cross, Middlewood. It’s one of the last bad sections of the 103 that’s left with a lot of houses and at grade intersections. Clyde River is one of the other sections. There is also still about 6-7 other at grade crossings on the controlled access parts of the highway.
Did you get to look at 101 beyond Digby too?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
OldDartmouthMark,

Thank you for the reply. I’m not sure I agree philosophically with the direct application of the registration fees (the cost of administrating licensing needs to be taken into account), but more specifically the HST (it is general revenue, and applying it just to the roads means we are putting roads ahead of other things). I think the original statement that it is covered by “fuel tax” is misleading.
I'm not sure what there is to disagree with, as it is plainly stated in the government document that "Almost every dollar from Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) fees and the fuel tax goes back into provincial roads".

If you take the time to read the provincial document I linked to, you will see that the costs for Access Nova Scotia exceeds the revenue from the RMV, but Access NS deals with much more than motor vehicle registration, and it would appear that the administration costs for vehicle registrations are included with the broad costs of Access NS. I'd welcome it if you wanted to do further research to help break down the costs (if the information is even available), but I've spent all the time I want to spend on digging into that.

The reason I went further and discussed HST is the narrative being presented by some posters is that somehow roads are a 'freebie' for motorists, being supplemented by people who don't use motor vehicles (when in fact they do indirectly, given that all of our goods that we survive on are being transported on our roads). The rough numbers I came up with (which I purposely was conservative with) shows that on the whole, motorists pay more in taxes and license fees in a year than the government invests in the roads. Even if HST on gasoline and diesel doesn't go directly to the roads (I know it doesn't), monies from those purchases (which are being directly paid by motorists specifically to operate their motor vehicles) go directly into the federal and provincial budgets, who ultimately spend money from budgets on the roads. The idea might be a little abstract for some of us, but if you really think about it, it will make some sense.

Quote:
The fact remains that the majority of municipal streets are covered by property taxes, and bicycle riders either directly or indirectly pay those. There are provincial offsets, which makes it complicated.

By the way, I’m not opposed to using general revenue in order to maintain roads; they are in the public good. The program presented by the NS government seems largely correct in the current fiscal environment. I would like to see faster progress on the 107 (to which I’m biased, as it is a personal benefit). I wouldn’t be supportive of a massive increase.

I also think the program of bike lanes is largely correct, although I’d be supportive of deferring some on street until the funds are available for proper off street.

I see no need to link the issues in a thread about the provinces highway spending program… it should be debated on it’s merits and affordability.
I wasn't really wanting to say anything about bike lanes, as it's not on topic of the provincial road budget.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, by the way.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Good work Mark, you saved me some time.

Back in 1999 John Hamm had an election platform that had over 100 promises. One of them was a pledge to use all of the fuel tax revenue on fixing roads, which for some reason seemed to be a hot-button issue at the time. Nobody knew what that figure was for whatever reason, but it sounded like a good promise.

Once he got elected the new govt had to figure out how to deal with all those promises and the new govt had the bureaucracy research them and develop options for making them reality. Imagine the surprise when they were told that the fuel tax revenue was just a fraction of what was being spent on roads and that they would need to add to it significantly from other sources to deal with the road promises that had been made. The number I recall from the time was in the area of $450 to $500 mil per year. Oddly enough the issue came up again a few years later when Russell MacKinnon introduced a private members bill to enshrine the principle in law, but of course that went nowhere.
Thanks Keith. When I decided to dive into it a little, it surprised me how it's not an easy task to root out numbers to help understand this information, unless I was just looking in the wrong places (which is possible). Government stuff never ceases to amaze me in how non-clear it appears to be. Then you throw in stuff that today's "journalists" put out there (that readers take as fact), and the numbers are all over the place. I'm still not sure if my calculations are correct, but since there doesn't seem to be any publicly-accessible document that lays it all out clearly, it becomes a puzzle that has to be put together from pieces of a number of other puzzles.

And then, as is typical for the internet, you get a bunch of people forming opinions that clearly don't want to do the work before they comment. In fairness, we've all probably done that at one point or another, because it takes time and energy to do, and it's much easier to spew out random stuff they've heard that aligns with their preferences, and then if anybody disagrees, they can just call them names. Gotta love it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure