HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:45 PM

Skiing in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
And really, while Whistler certainly has a reputation for being one of North America's best ski resorts, close to Montreal you've got Mont Tremblant, Lake Placid, and other highly-ranked places in Vermont, etc. I gather that Lake Placid is maybe not as highly ranked as Whistler, but then again, from what I've heard from people who ski it's certainly a very comparable choice.
Hmm I'm going to have to completely disagree with this one. Skiing in the east simply isn't comparable. Full stop. There is no alpine, anywhere. It's like never making it past the first lift at whistler.

This is symphony bowl, one of about 7 or 8 lift accessible alpine bowls at Whistler. Everything you can see here is skiiable terrain complete with everything from green to double black diamond difficulty.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5216/5...f82b3785_b.jpg

Saying that even reotely compares to Lake Placid or anything east of the rockies is like trying to compare the heritage stock of Vancouver to Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

You're right of course.

But in terms of vertical drop, Whiteface at Lake Placid NY and Killington aren't too shabby compared to Whistler at over 1000 m. Whistler is around 1500.

Tremblant is around 700 m and Le Massif around Quebec City is around 800 m.

Of course, in terms of total skiable area (ha) Whistler dwarfs all of them. It's probably 10 times the size of Whiteface and 5 times the size of Tremblant.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Agreed, growing up in western newfoundland I really tire of the amazingness of BC.

What bothers me more than anything is that my girlfriend pushes to live out there(believe it or not we even have sorta access to free housing in rural(as in kinda like where I grew up) part of Vancouver island).

I dread the thought of having to move to BC, to me it seems like all the worst parts of newfoundland. (horrid demographics, a stagnating economy, drearyness etc)

To me southern ontario is the clear winner despite air quality/lack of mountains.
Multi-ethnic demographics and the strongest economic growth in the country? I am sure there are plenty of entirely white areas with crumbling economies you could go to instead.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're right of course.

But in terms of vertical drop, Whiteface at Lake Placid NY and Killington aren't too shabby compared to Whistler at over 1000 m. Whistler is around 1500.

Of course, in terms of total skiable area (ha) Whistler dwarfs all of them. It's probably 10 times the size of Whiteface and 5 times the size of Tremblant.
I found that Whiteface reminded me a bit of Big White.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It's actually 26 times larger than Whiteface and 13 times larger than Tremblant.

Whistler/Blackcomb: 8,171 acres
Mont Tremblant: 630 acres
Whiteface: 314 acres

Whistler is huge, like really huge.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:05 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
You're right of course.

Acajack (and others) - not sure if you ski or not, however "paper" stats can be very misleading. I've skied every hill you listed (plus Stowe, Smugglers, MsA, Sutton, Bromont, Owls Head, Saveur, all the Ottawa hills), all the big hills in the Rockies, most of the interior (not Red though ) and now I'm getting to know Whistler.

Again, stats of paper cannot compare with real life. Case in point for Iceface, that 965m vertical is very missleading for while you can ski it, you will skate, cross greens, and many times die up top on the ice. As for Killington, the mtn has the 1000m vertical, but you can't ski it since its like a rollercoster. Massif is probably the closest, but even still, the steeps aren't the full height.

Don't get me wrong - I love skiing out east and have many great memories (Sutton is still the gold standard for glades) but I've never heard of anyone from Vancouver flying to Montreal to go skiing, whereas every day I've been to Whistler this year I've meet tourists visiting from QC, NY, MA, etc.

Anyway, this is a muggs game - we should all live where we want and enjoy the things that are available ... or move to a place that suits us better. Live is short and then you die. Arguing about which city is best won't change that.

PS> Acajack - not saying you were arguing, just a global statement.

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Feb 8, 2017 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:07 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Whistler is huge, like really huge.
Yes it is ... though it's not my favourite yet . Maybe this coming weekend will change that ....

Last edited by shreddog; Feb 8, 2017 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:12 AM
Beer me Captain

Since we're killing time until tomorrow, as an x-country skier I've always thought Ottawa was the bee's knees ... and now with SJAM I think it has run away from the pack.

If you live in Ottawa, get out on the trail!

Dovercourt CC

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:27 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
And really, while Whistler certainly has a reputation for being one of North America's best ski resorts, close to Montreal you've got Mont Tremblant, Lake Placid, and other highly-ranked places in Vermont, etc. I gather that Lake Placid is maybe not as highly ranked as Whistler, but then again, from what I've heard from people who ski it's certainly a very comparable choice.
Just to beat a dead horse, Rousseau, as I've never heard you talk about skiing, I trust you don't ski (apologies if you do). Tremblant and Iceface are nice, but comparing them to Whistler is like comparing the Banff Grand Fondo to the Tour. Yes they're both bike races, and for most riders the Banff Fondo can be a real challenge, however, few cyclists set their life goal to ride it.

I love Tremblant (Tunnel is still a dream and Fuddle Duddle can be fun), but it ain't no Glacier!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Acajack (and others) - not sure if you ski or not, however "paper" stats can be very misleading. I've skied every hill you listed (plus Stowe, Smugglers, MsA, Sutton, Bromont, Owls Head, Saveur, all the Ottawa hills), all the big hills in the Rockies, most of the interior (not Red though ) and now I'm getting to know Whistler.

Again, stats of paper cannot compare with real life. Case in point for Iceface, that 965m vertical is very missleading for while you can ski it, you will skate, cross greens, and many times die up top on the ice. As for Killington, the mtn has the 1000m vertical, but you can't ski it since its like a rollercoster. Massif is probably the closest, but even still, the steeps aren't the full height.

Don't get me wrong - I love skiing out east and have many great memories (Sutton is still the gold standard for glades) but I've never heard of anyone from Vancouver flying to Montreal to go skiing, whereas every day I've been to Whistler this year I've meet tourists visiting from QC, NY, MA, etc.

Anyway, this is a muggs game - we should all live where we want and enjoy the things that are available ... or move to a place that suits us better. Live is short and then you die. Arguing about which city is best won't change that.

PS> Acajack - not saying you were arguing, just a global statement.
No worries. I know there's really no comparison. But that doesn't mean the skiing in Quebec and NE US is shitty and not worth it if you're in the area...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
No worries. I know there's really no comparison. But that doesn't mean the skiing in Quebec and NE US is shitty and not worth it if you're in the area...
the largest ski school in Canada is on Mont Saint-Bruno. right next to Montréal.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:59 AM

Skiing in Canada

I'll have to disagree, I've been a pretty avid skier for a good while, I did go to Whistler and Blackcomb with my sis (I've also skied in most of the mountains in the Northeast) and I've felt it was big way past the point of diminishing returns. No point in having all that area accessible if a fraction of it suffices for a full day.

We tried to make the most out of such a famous mountain so we focused a bit more on exploring (trying to check the "been there" box for the most areas) than we should have, and in the end, though it was a very nice day, it did not come close to the best days I've had at a place like, say, Jay Peak, where I'm familiar with the trails and glades and will not waste any time in trails I'm not interested in.

JMO, obviously, and I swear I'm not saying this to be negative about Vancouver. I've been to the Alps (in summer, and haven't skied) and I am pretty sure I would feel the same about the bigger mountains - pointlessly big for only one day on the slopes.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:03 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Defintely not shitty and like I said, Sutton is still my gold standard for glades, but if someone is a skier, all things equal (and they most likely never are) they would choice to live in Vancouver over Montreal just for the quality of skiing.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:04 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
the largest ski school in Canada is on Mont Saint-Bruno. right next to Montréal.
Have you skied Bruno?? There's a reason that they've focused on being a mountain for beginners to learn. A nice hill, but still a hill.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Defintely not shitty and like I said, Sutton is still my gold standard for glades, but if someone is a skier, all things equal (and they most likely never are) they would choice to live in Vancouver over Montreal just for the quality of skiing.
Yes, but the vast majority of the best skiers and snowboarders in the country were born in Quebec.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:10 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'll have to disagree, I've been a pretty avid skier for a good while, I did go to Whistler and Blackcomb with my sis (I've also skied in most of the mountains in the Northeast) and I've felt it was big way past the point of diminishing returns. No point in having all that area accessible if a fraction of it suffices for a full day.

We tried to make the most out of such a famous mountain so we focused a bit more on exploring (trying to check the "been there" box for the most areas) than we should have, and in the end, though it was a very nice day, it did not come close to the best days I've had at a place like, say, Jay Peak, where I'm familiar with the trails and glades and will not waste any time in trails I'm not interested in.

JMO, obviously, and I swear I'm not saying this to be negative about Vancouver. I've been to the Alps (in summer, and haven't skied) and I am pretty sure I would feel the same about the bigger mountains - pointlessly big for only one day on the slopes.
Definitely valid points and as I've only skied on Whistler about 6 times, I'm still learning it. I've likely skied over 50 times each at Louise and Sunshine in the past 10 years and know every tree and rock there and still prefer them over Whistler. That said I will admit that Whistler is still bigger (though not that much )

As for Jay, I've skied there about a dozen times albeit the last time over ten years ago. I've had good snow and bad ice there, but it always seem whenever I'm there it's so cold that I've affectionately named the gondola the "meat locker".

FWIW, may fav "big" hill in the east is Smugglers ... but that's more likely because of who I was there with.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:14 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Yes, but the vast majority of the best skiers and snowboarders in the country were born in Quebec.
Uhhhhh, this has been pretty civil until now. I won't respond to this other than to say that Quebec has produced many a great skier.

Also, many people consider Podborski as Canada's greatest (male) skier of all time ... and he learned to ski on a garbage dump in Toronto

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm I'm going to have to completely disagree with this one. Skiing in the east simply isn't comparable. Full stop. There is no alpine, anywhere. It's like never making it past the first lift at whistler.

This is symphony bowl, one of about 7 or 8 lift accessible alpine bowls at Whistler. Everything you can see here is skiiable terrain complete with everything from green to double black diamond difficulty.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5216/5...f82b3785_b.jpg

Saying that even reotely compares to Lake Placid or anything east of the rockies is like trying to compare the heritage stock of Vancouver to Montreal.
This reminds me of the folks in toronto who think the best cottages are the ones made from the best building materials etc.

If your understanding of the thing is in technical terms it's likely not that good.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Uhhhhh, this has been pretty civil until now. I won't respond to this other than to say that Quebec has produced many a great skier.

Also, many people consider Podborski as Canada's greatest (male) skier of all time ... and he learned to ski on a garbage dump in Toronto
no, it just proves that you don't need to go far away to be successful. Our hills are not comparable to Whistler, but we can still produce world-class athletes. Whistler is very popular for tourists but is inaccessible for most people here, too far away. The majority of people here will ski in Quebec. they wont leave the province for the most part.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:31 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
... Whistler is very popular for tourists but is inaccessible for most people here, too far away. The majority of people here will ski in Quebec. they wont leave the province for the most part.
Really??? If you read my posts you will see I am very positive of the QC hills. That said, if everything was equal (and it never is) if one wants to live in a "big" city and you are a real ski hound (or perhaps a shred dog**), Vancouver (Whistler) and Calgary (Sunshine, Louise) would be better places to live than Montreal.

Anyway, I know in your eyes Mtrl (and QC) is "great" - which is awesome since that is where you live.

** this shreddog is not in Vancouver cause of Whistler, but it's definitely nice benefit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada