HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 2:39 PM
BANNED

I wouldn't call that ugly, probably not the best idea, definitely unique. It's a little bit of Florida in Northern California.

Is that canal water fresh, salt, brackish?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 3:13 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

For me, its not necessarily just appearance but also the "vibe" I get from places.

I hate suburbs that project a "fuck off" vibe. Big fancy houses on windy streets without sidewalks, private neighborhood parks with big gates and signs that say keep out. Separated from trailer parks and post apocalyptic apartment complexes by giant traffic sewer roads with unmowed ditches and medians filled with billboards and tires and rims and discarded slurpee cups. So, basically most of Houston or Miami. Add to this the persistent traffic congestion that makes you feel claustrophobic, because you are stuck in a car and can't seem to go anywhere fast.

What I like are places that are sort of inclusive and welcoming, the built environment reflects that people who live there give a shit and everything's well managed. Streets should have sidewalks. There should be a mix of affordable and more upscale stuff, permissive zoning. It should be safe, in the sense that the local police are good at their job rather than the area keeps people out. But most of all there should be something to do that's not a) indoors b) a public place. I want to be able to take a walk somewhere.

Connects with why I like cities in the first place and my general personality. It's not just a matter of loving traditionally urban or traditionally suburban places, or a desire for open space or for living in an energetic area. I'm not a big fan of dense urban neighborhoods that are nothing but podiums for condo towers, and not all low density suburbs are bad by default. It's not strictly a matter of political views either, there are deeply conservative small cities and towns that I find appealing and progressive cities that I feel are too snobby. It's complicated.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I wouldn't call that ugly, probably not the best idea, definitely unique. It's a little bit of Florida in Northern California.

Not sure, it seems connected to a river but it's surrounded by farm country so there must be tons of nasty runoff right?

The whole thing is so isolated I don't know what the point of it is, are people riding their boats all the way into the Bay? That would be an hours-long trip. Are they just hanging out in their stupid little reservoirs?

Miami but with only all the negative aspects of Miami, they're living right at sea level, how long will this neighborhood exist?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
schaumburg is the worst suburb in chicagoland.

schaumburg is the worst suburb in illinois.

schaumburg is the worst suburb in the midwest.

schaumburg is the worst suburb in the US.

schaumburg is the worst suburb in north america.

schaumburg is the worst suburb in the western hemisphere.

schaumburg is the worst suburb in the whole freaking world.

the name schaumburg actually comes from the ancient algonquin word "shwamburkaskia" which means "land of the endless parking lots":

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0485...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0285...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0544...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0505...7i13312!8i6656

context:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0265.../data=!3m1!1e3
Schaumburg may be a suburban auto hellhole, but it has a ton of ethnic restaurants

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:41 PM
The City

Quote:
I don't rip on Schaumburg because of what it represents regarding suburbanization and keeping density away from the loop, I rip on it because it's the most poorly planned place that I've ever experienced. I have nothing against suburbia in concept (in fact I greatly admire burbs like evanston and oak park), but Schaumburg is a wholly forgettable parking lot wasteland to me.
You rip on Schaumburg because it is actually a place with a ton of commercial activity that happens to be a major destination, which of course is poorly planned.

But most of post 1960 suburbia is poorly planned, but I think you are picking on Schaumburg because it actually has a lot of activity that may draw people who would otherwise go downtown

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:43 PM

It looks like they tried it again in Oakley but never finished? The latest image is form 2013. Looks like a wasteland.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0114...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:46 PM

The troube with those canal developments is that it's really hard to design them so there's constant flow of the water through the area. If there isn't, pollution sets in quickly and you find yourself living on a stinking cesspool. In this particular case, it's hard to imagine how there could be any flow.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Something about the grey just makes it look like a place where you were assigned a number by the government to live out the rest of your days.

This is probably more offensive from an urban planning and wastefulness perspective.

It's like they tried to recreate a South Florida development but with muddy brown water and no recreational boating.
It looks like they drew up the street plan with an Etch-a-Sketch.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 7:01 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

The area is a mix between canals, sloughs, forebays and rivers. I think this far back is fresh and it's a mix of man made and natural, but this is clearly an overboard development. There is a historical connection to living on the delta, but this is like I said overboard. It also can't be good for the delta, which has so many problems already (fish, sediment, runoff). The delta tunnel project no doubt connects in this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It looks like they tried it again in Oakley but never finished? The latest image is form 2013. Looks like a wasteland.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0114...2!8i6656?hl=en
This project is supposedly going to be back on track soon.....I'm not sure how building in the delta is even legal anymore

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 10:46 PM

I think this topic should take into account economic issues. So, maybe there should be catagories: "ugliest rich suburbs"; "ugliest poor suburbs" etc. No excuse for rich & ugly. In any event, in poor countries there are poor towns that are charming. Poor doesn't mean ugly, necessarily, just like rich doesn't necessarily mean good design and attractive. Can just mean excessive ornamentation. Look at some of those old mansions from the "Guilded Age". Awful and tasteless roccoco ornamentation inside and out, columns, overstuffed chairs, gold leaf, plaster filagree etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 10, 2017 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't rip on Schaumburg because of what it represents regarding suburbanization and keeping density away from the loop, I rip on it because it's the most poorly planned place that I've ever experienced. I have nothing against suburbia in concept (in fact I greatly admire burbs like evanston and oak park), but Schaumburg is a wholly forgettable parking lot wasteland to me.
What ever... Schaumberg might not be ideal but its not like it is poor and run down place at all.

It has the mega malls and major hotels, multinational HQ's and convention space, ala Rosemont, and poor transit but its not fair to say it has no transit at all.

Metra runs through there but they also have at least the poor bus service that is Pace but its not poor where you will get killed. It's Quite safe [super safe really] and have a nice multicultural mix of restaurants and whatnot.

Some of the best Indian food outside of the city is in the region. > 12% Indian and > than 20% Asian total. Its close to the largest Hindu temple in the region. Do you have and issue with Asian Indians in particular or do you want them all cloistered on Devon instead?

I imagined this post to be the most ugly burbs in your region. Would you say SBurg is worse than Gary Indiana or the southern torn burbs in the southern Chicagoland area?

I understand your hate of parking lots but Woodfield mall has a lot of parking space because it is likely the largest mall area in the metro area and it is no where near ghetto mall status.

I just don't get your angst on SBurg in general. For sure there are more ugly burgs in Chicagoland no doubt.

For those that don't know the area you are talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaumburg,_Illinois

It is not war torn by any single measure of any measure.

Last edited by bnk; Nov 10, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:26 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Schaumberg might not be ideal but its not like it is poor and run down place at all.
i never said that schaumburg was "poor and run down", i said that it was the most poorly planned place that i've ever experienced.

Quote:
It has the mega malls and major hotels, multinational HQ's and convention space, ala Rosemont
rosemont sucks too.

exhibit A: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9859.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:37 PM
BANNED

War torn and dangerous can be fixed, and aren't "ugly" to look at anyway. Parking lots and eight lane roads are ugly.

In twenty years, without dramatic redevelopment, Gary could have nice, walkable neighborhoods. Could Schaumburg? Or is its greatest virtue just that the people that live there won't mug you?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You rip on Schaumburg because it is actually a place with a ton of commercial activity that happens to be a major destination, which of course is poorly planned.

But most of post 1960 suburbia is poorly planned, but I think you are picking on Schaumburg because it actually has a lot of activity that may draw people who would otherwise go downtown
This

and your other post about all of the great ethic restaurants in the area.

Kudos to you TUP for pointing these obvious facts out.

BTW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaumburg,_Illinois

Economy

Companies headquartered in Schaumburg include: Zurich North America, Motorola Solutions and, Career Education Corporation.
As of 2011 many Japanese companies have their U.S. headquarters in Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates.

Top employers

View of the area around Woodfield Mall, with the former headquarters of Zurich North America in the background.
According to the Village's website,the top employers in the village are:

Employer
# of Employees

Zurich North America
Community Consolidated School District 54
Motorola Solutions
OptumRx (Catamaran)
IBM
Career Education Center
Genworth Financial

AC Nielsen

Comcast

Nation Pizza Products

Besides Evanston, which you adore and should not have any reason not to love, that NW and their hospital and Oak park can you come up with another non city bordering burb that you don't hate.

Steely

Let me know what you think about the fox river cities [Elgin, Aurora, Joliet and their own personal suburbs are they also car wastelands or what], or Naperville-Wheaton [ are their university's a waste because they don't boarder Chicago like Oak Park and Evanston? Do they not have enough dedicated bike paths and sectioned areas for bikes. because bikes rule the world you should know.

Are they suburban wastelands with too much parking too? I know you grew up in the John Hughes North Shore area but is there any burb in Chicagoland that meets your mettle? Is Far distant Crystal Lake too far from your 10 generations of Chicagoan city limit only family to even consider living in even though they have the Metra and are one of the best public 3 system HS's in the state?

Where is your hate vs envy boundary lies?

Is it only limited to a boarder of city limits if that is the case than 2/3 Chicagoland people chose to live outside your city limit cocoon and you are cutting off most of the people that commute and work in the city limits might be too much for you to tolerate.

Did you ever thinking of joining an only city limit social contact list and screw the 67% other percent that contribute to the general health of the region. If you did I think you might be happier and in a smaller circle of what your life would like to be.

Best of luck to you the rest of your live living in the city limits.

Last edited by bnk; Nov 11, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 1:48 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i’ve heard that schaumburg is getting pretty blighted, lots of run down properties!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
There's boring and then there's ugly. I think a lot of people conflate the two here.
Rusting post-industrial wastelands are ugly. Cookie-cutter houses on sterile streets are boring.
I agree with you. Many suburbs are anodyne, characterless, and anti-urban, but they don't bother nearly me as much as areas of cities that are weed-and trash-infested, tagging-covered, and generally uncared-for.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 5:16 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
My God. Please someone take me out back and put me down if I ever end up here.

I would at least have to park my car sideways in some bizarre way in the driveway just to change things up a bit.

When alien species look at us through far way telescopes being reminded of what is their version of ants, this is what they'll be looking at.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 5:49 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Where is your hate vs envy boundary lies?

Is it only limited to a boarder of city limits if that is the case than 2/3 Chicagoland people chose to live outside your city limit cocoon and you are cutting off most of the people that commute and work in the city limits might be too much for you to tolerate.

Did you ever thinking of joining an only city limit social contact list and screw the 67% other percent that contribute to the general health of the region. If you did I think you might be happier and in a smaller circle of what your life would like to be.

Best of luck to you the rest of your live living in the city limits.
Why are you so weird?

It is my opinion that Schaumburg is an awful, awful place.

If you like it, that's super, but I will forever continue to reserve my right to criticize it for its utterly atrocious planning.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 7:51 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Why are you so weird?

It is my opinion that Schaumburg is an awful, awful place.

If you like it, that's super, but I will forever continue to reserve my right to criticize it for its utterly atrocious planning.
I think you're conflating the Woodfield area to the whole city of Schaumburg. Have you ever driven through the rest of it? Even in the radius of Woodfield, yet disjoint from the sea of parking lots, you'll find tons of great dining and retail. Much like other suburbs with commercial arteries similar to Golf and Meacham, yet with not nearly the quality of businesses. It's a nice suburb that happens to be "cursed" with a half mile by half mile (my guess) commercial amusement park and some very awkward highway planning. Maybe trash O'Hare or the UC instead? They got some major asphalt game. It's all for the sake of utility (and cost of land - but Streets is much better about that with the garage). Also, you only ever see the worst of it from an aerial Google Maps perspective. As opposed to run-down, bleak areas whose only hope of beautification (and a hypothetical does not count as physical reality) is gentrification or an irrational expectation of investment &/or better tax revenue.

Edit: let me also add that Woodfield is canceled out 1:1 by one of the biggest forest preserves in the burbs. It's right next to the place. Worth it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 11:53 AM

I'll have to add some photos of London suburbs. For all the Victorian building stock and walkable neighborhoods it has over hundreds of square miles, the postwar suburbs here in the UK might be the ugliest places on earth.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions