Boston - returns to 800,000 1 0.93%
Washington - returns to 800,000 13 12.04%
Detroit - 750,000 7 6.48%
Baltimore 700,000 8 7.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Oakland has a lot of potential in theory. Hopefully the next 15 years brings impressive single digit growth, Like 2-3%/yr would be amazing. Hopefully the push for housing will result in units for the city.
Oakland is lucky it's where it is or else it would have declined even more than it has over the years.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Oakland is lucky it's where it is or else it would have declined even more than it has over the years.
Yep.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I do believe I read somewhere that L.A. did actually pass 4 mil. not long ago. Waiting for Long Beach to hit 500,000. Bigger than Cincinatti and Pittsburgh.

Here's my guess for CA city (non metro) pops in 25 years. L.A. 5.05 million. San Diego 2.25 mil. San Jose 1.85 mil. San Fran 1.15 mil. Sacramento 1.25 mil. Long Beach 605,000. Oakland 595,000. Fresno 755,000. Stockton 555,000. Bakersfield 550,000. Riverside 490,000.
Even though it grew as a city in its own right, Long Beach's size is mostly a product of its proximity to LA. I don't even view it as an even regional partner.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not as long as cities are too expensive for families to live in.
what a silly blanket statement.

some parts of some cities are too expensive for some families.

but there are definitely some parts of some cities that are NOT too expensive for some families.

my family of 4 lives in the city of chicago. we're a pretty typical middle class family. it's not too expensive for us.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Even though it grew as a city in its own right, Long Beach's size is mostly a product of its proximity to LA. I don't even view it as an even regional partner.
How so? Long Beach has a long separate history from Los Angeles and is 24 miles away. Oakland is only 10 miles from San Francisco.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
How so? Long Beach has a long separate history from Los Angeles and is 24 miles away. Oakland is only 10 miles from San Francisco.
LA is much more of a collossus compared to Long Beach. By comparison, San Francisco and Oakland are roughly equal partners, with San Francisco being the Alpha of course. It's such a big difference that when lived out there, I always considered Long Beach a suburb. I didn't view it as a city in its own right until recently.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Except most cities are not too expensive for families to live in. For every New York and San Francisco there are 10 other US cities of decent size and walkability that families can afford. They just might not be the coolest and most hip cities to live in, whatever that means.

I went ahead and voted for Chicago even though I don't see it happening for at least a decade.... but since the numbers are so arbitrary I decided what the hell.
And how good are the schools? How are the crime rates? Affordability in cities almost directly relate to those two factors.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Geez, you're in Fairbanks? How much snow is on the ground outside?

Way too cold this time of year.
About a foot and a half. We are having a bizarrely warm December; today is forecast for the low 20s while our average is right around 0 F. But two things about the cold: you adapt quickly and if you bundle up, you feel the bubble of inside air you carry with you, not the ambient air. There is also virtually no wind since Fairbanks is in a bowl (which also means horrible air quality).

I like winter and hate hot weather so if I move back to the Lower 48 (originally from the Midwest), it would be a cooler city like Seattle or Chicago. The Brown Line of Chicago, somewhere like Ravenswood, is my dream.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Houston has to hit 3,000,000 first. 4,000,000 will probably never happen. LA has been toying with the magic 4,000,000 for decades. It is an elusive goal.
Im pretty sure it will be official by 2020. The last estimates are over 4 million.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I like winter and hate hot weather so if I move back to the Lower 48 (originally from the Midwest), it would be a cooler city like Seattle or Chicago. The Brown Line of Chicago, somewhere like Ravenswood, is my dream.
i'm about to be living your dream. we're moving to our new home next month one block east of the rockwell brown line stop in ravenswood gardens (lincoln square).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
When illegals are counted, it probably already has 4 million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Speaking of illegals, if you count the ones for NJ cities like Newark and JC, the population count gets a boost. With NYC, the population is over 9 million once you factor them in Right now its 8.65 million, along those lines. I still think the current census is woefully under counted because I can tell you the illegal population is very, very real. But its tough to count them census wise.
You guys do realize that the Census makes a sincere effort to count everyone, right? Including the undocumented? Granted, it's difficult, but they do try to include them. The ACS probably does a better job of including then than the regular, full Census because of the methodologies, but both try to include them.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:02 PM

According to those state population stats just released, Washington DC is up to 693,000 with a gain of 92,000 in seven years. If that pace keeps up, DC could hit 800,000 in just 8 years.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i'm about to be living your dream. we're moving to our new home next month one block east of the rockwell brown line stop in ravenswood gardens (lincoln square).
I think we discussed this, but you're gonna love it here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
According to those state population stats just released, Washington DC is up to 693,000 with a gain of 92,000 in seven years. If that pace keeps up, DC could hit 800,000 in just 8 years.
Good point! I'm amazed at how many cranes I see in the sky when in DC. There are still much underutilized lands and a change to allow more areas to construct mid-rise buildings would quickly attract thousands of more residents.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You guys do realize that the Census makes a sincere effort to count everyone, right? Including the undocumented? Granted, it's difficult, but they do try to include them. The ACS probably does a better job of including then than the regular, full Census because of the methodologies, but both try to include them.
This is exactly right, especially with the ACS. It's the best estimate we got for counting everyone, including those not wanting to be counted. The Census makes it's best attempt to count undocumented immigrants, but folks really do a disservice when they state that the decennial Census is able to count everyone. When the enumerators are on a suburban street, it's pretty easy to identify the address which did not return a census form and they can ask the neighbors about the occupants of a house. If in a highly urbanized area, there are people living in locations you wouldn't expect and they are often missed since they're actively avoiding being counted by a government worker and the community will not be co-operative. For example, try doing a census of all the people living around Mott Street in Chinatown in New York. It's going to be impossible due to the large number of roommates, people living at the back of businesses and in informal basement apartments that never received a C/O. There is no way it will be like the suburbs where an nearby resident is able to name all the tenants living in an adjacent building to the enumerators. That's why the census always undercounts the population in cities, only for the big increases to be seen in the ACS data since they're using IRS/Utility/Post Office and other data to estimate the true population.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:59 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think we discussed this, but you're gonna love it here.

that's my old haunt (or one of them, anyway).

great neighborhood... do they still have Oktoberfest at Western and Leland every year? I think I still have my plastic beer mugs from the ones I attended 30 years ago.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
do they still have Oktoberfest at Western and Leland every year?
yep, oktoberfest is still held there every year, typically the second weekend in september, and maifest is held in the same spot every year, typically the first weekend of june.

and i'll be living 1.5 blocks away from it. can't wait.

in sadder Lincoln Square german-american news, chicago brauhaus has announced that they are closing soon.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
yep, oktoberfest is still held there every year, typically the second weekend in september, and maifest is held in the same spot every year, typically the first weekend of june.

and i'll be living 1.5 blocks away from it. can't wait.

in sadder Lincoln Square german-american news, chicago brauhaus has announced that they are closing soon.
They actually closed on 12/11. I took the family for one last time the end of November.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
They actually closed on 12/11.

booooooo.... i was actually really looking forward to being able to conveniently walk to get some real deal sauerbraten in my new hood.

oh well, at least Resi's and Laschet's aren't too far away down on Irving, a little bit of a hike though (~25 mins. from our new place).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:52 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
booooooo.... i was actually really looking forward to being able to walk to get some real deal sauerbraten in my new hood.

oh well, at least Resi's and Laschet's aren't too far away down on Irving, a little bit of a hike though.

seriously, is Laschet's still around? I shared a few beers with Karl on occasion while his wife sat at the end of the bar smoking her cig's. I'm guessing neither of them are alive anymore...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions