HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:35 AM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
So assuming Vestas is looking at block 33, what are the height limits for those blocks? Are they the same 325' as the JR and Ardea?

no 250 if you bonus up by getting any FAR bonus. 325 is only allowed in the middle of the district and at that only if you are 12K or less on average above 75 feet, or 16 feet avg floor to floor above 75 ft.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:52 AM
Karma Police

I'll bet if Vestas wanted to go the full 325' on block 33, the city would sign off in a split second.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 5:26 AM

this deal is really exciting. i don't really care how tall they build it as long as the architecture is good.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 10:54 PM

Those are great pics, and it is exciting that progress is so visible now. One consolation to the economic downturn is that projects on hold are not noisy projects. Yet.

What is likely to happen with the undeveloped lots? Do they become dirt parking lots by default, or are they temporarily grassed/weeded over?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 11:25 PM

More Senior Housing

[QUOTE=sowat;3949237]Just noticed this snippet in IBD about senior housing. I wonder which "choice block of riverfront land" in SoWa is for sale??

potentially more senior housing in sowa? move over Mirabella.

---------
The Mirabella is a continuing care facility with everything from independent living through end-of-life care. Probably other senior apts/condos built in South Waterfront would be independent living only (much cheaper.)

My main gripe about getting too many seniors in one community is that they skew election outcomes to the detriment of education.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 11:27 PM

Last night there was a REALLY bright light at the site. I felt bad for people whose units in the JR and Meriwether were lit up all bright from it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 12:08 AM

A couple of the large lots north of the Meriwether were recently filled in with soil from the Mirabella dig. Then they planted grass on them. They did a great job in leveling out the dirt so it will look more like a park than a fill area. Other lots are being used for construction parking, staging areas or storage for construction work. There are a couple of warehouses down there that are now vacant and will probably be torn down at some point.

I'm hoping the Vestas tower and the new retirement tower go through. That would be huge for South Waterfront, especially in tight times like this. The retirement tower I am referring to is in addition to the Mirabella.

The bright lights they had on last night weren't too bad. We could see them from our condo and they weren't on very late. Although it may have been worse for people on lower floors.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 2:19 AM

The new retirement living project (joining the Mirabella) might not be a tower......right?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
The new retirement living project (joining the Mirabella) might not be a tower......right?
let's not get ahead of ourselves, there is no additional retirement living project planned for south waterfront. that article was only about a "prime riverfront lot for sale" and being pitched as suitable for senior housing. I'd love to know which lot it is. If it is in sowa-proper, not north of the Ross Island Bridge, and it is riverfront, then it must be either 23, 27, 37, or 51(?). Unless even Prometheus is selling out too and it's one of their blocks, 41/44.

I'd also assume a "prime riverfront block" would sell for, what... 5 million? 15 million? If so they're not going to build low, they'd need to go up.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 3:31 AM

^^ Some of those pics make it look like a condo tower built over a prison... but other than that, it's not a bad addition to the new neighborhood. We'll still have to wait to see how it connects to the streetscape and the yet-finished park next door.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 9:07 AM
shozbot!

It will be interesting to see if Vestas goes with Gerding Edlan Devlopment, and then GBD Architects for this project, or if they would choose a Danish firm to shake it up a little in SOWA? GBD has a great LEED record, which has to be an attractive selling point for the business Vestas is in......and I believe they're going for LEED Platinum on this project.

I think we'll be hearing details in the not-too-distant future on this, the way that the Mayor Elect, as well as the Gov. are backing this, to say the least. Bring on those white-collar jobs..... & white-collar BUILDINGS!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 9:50 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Its pretty much a given that a Portland architectural firm, particularly a big one like GBD or Ankrom, is going to at least be the architect of record, as I'm sure no Dutch architects are licensed in Oregon.

Doesn't mean they couldn't partner, but I would be surprised if that were to happen. You never know, tho. What does Vestas other HQs look like?

btw, Vestas own press release states that they expect the HQ to be 500,000 sq ft

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 2:51 PM
momentum

the current HQ is rather modest compared to what they are proposing. i believe they are looking for 400K and then ultimately 600K +/- and yes Platinum or beyond. definitely smart to go with a firm with some experience getting that actually done - and at that scale! It would take the horsepower of a large firm to pull this off - if you read the article in the Oregonian - they had a 2011 occupancy. A joint venture with another firm would just be another complexity to get in the way of making that date possible. Vestas should push the architects and the architects should challenge Vestas to bring european ethics to the building industry here in little portland - supporting "green" collar jobs. You can't build a 150 year building for $150-175/sf. They spend $350/sf - but in the end they get a building that uses less energy, gives daylight to all the workers, and becomes an investment not only in the people, but the culture which the building is a part of. It would be interesting to see their HQ in Denmark and see what that looks like compared to what they are thinking of building here???

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 6:55 PM

This isn't anything new but I just got this email from SWF Community Relations:

Vestas confirms expansion in Portland
Green energy - The wind-turbine giant says yes, but the city and state are still negotiating millions in cash incentives
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian Staff

State officials are negotiating with Vestas Wind Systems to offer up to $19 million in cash incentives for the company to expand its North American headquarters in Portland, Gov. Ted Kulongoski's office said Monday.

Vestas' officials confirmed for the first time Monday that they have picked Portland for their expansion.

The company plans to grow rapidly as the state and country ramp up clean energy production to reduce the United States dependence on foreign oil. Vestas employs about 1,200 people in the United States and Canada and expects to grow to 4,000 within about two years.
Kulongoski's 2009-11 budget, announced Monday, includes a $15 million request to entice the wind-turbine giant to expand in Portland.

The 2009 Legislature would have to approve the spending from the state general fund. The state's package also could include business energy tax credits and cash from the governor's strategic reserve fund targeted for economic development, said Anna Richter Taylor, the governor's spokeswoman.

Combined with $12.5 million offered by the city of Portland, Vestas could collect $31.5 million in direct incentives.

In return, Vestas would add about 850 new white-collar jobs and build a $250 million real estate development for its new headquarters. Denmark-based Vestas employs about 350 in Portland, and the company's expansion would provide a major boost to the city's and state's push for a new green economy.

Roby Roberts, senior vice president of external relations, said the company looked at other U.S. cities but picked Portland because political leaders had treated it well; recruiting talented workers to live in Portland is easy; higher education leaders are interested in preparing a work force for the company; and the governor has pushed state policies that support clean energy.

"We have all the pieces here for us to build a world-class industry," Roberts said. "This is the epicenter for clean energy."

Portland has seen some of the fastest growth in college educated 25- to 34-year-olds among U.S. cities. Those workers in Portland tend to be interested in the environment and sustainability, making Portland and Vestas a good match, said Joe Cortright, a Portland economist who has studied regional economies across the country.
"A company like that is in our sweet spot," Cortright said.

If it works out, Vestas' expansion could create a new feedback loop that encourages more like-minded workers and companies to start or move to the area. That growth could spur the next generation of industries that power the state economy, much as Tektronix did with high-tech in the 1940s and Nike did with sportswear in the 1960s.

Vestas' Portland offices are spread across six buildings from its downtown Portland headquarters to a tools center near Portland International Airport. The company hopes to consolidate all operations under one roof.
The company hopes to break ground next summer, an aggressive schedule for such an expansive project. Executives want to be in the new building by the fourth quarter of 2011 to keep pace with what it sees as U.S. demand for wind power.

Portland's South Waterfront District is high on Vestas' list for its new headquarters, Mayor-elect Sam Adams said. Oregon Health & Science University originally envisioned South Waterfront as a bio-tech hub but the idea hasn't worked out.

Even with all the upbeat talk, Vestas' expansion is far from a done deal.

The state and city are still negotiating with company executives. The state's incentives would require Vestas to add a certain number of jobs to qualify for the incentives.

Vestas' new jobs would bring an average wage of $80,000 to $90,000, said Richter Taylor, the governor's spokeswoman. At those wages, Richter Taylor said the employees' income taxes would generate about $3.7 million a year and repay the state's incentives in five or six years.

Ryan Frank: 503-221-8519; ryanfrank@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
Portland's South Waterfront District is high on Vestas' list for its new headquarters, Mayor-elect Sam Adams said. Oregon Health & Science University originally envisioned South Waterfront as a bio-tech hub but the idea hasn't worked out.
this says to me they're looking north of Ross Island bridge. Is that possible with the Schnitzer-donated land? Plus, if they're combining various facilities like "a tools center" they'll want to build horizontally too, not just in a tall tower, no??

Last edited by sowat; Dec 5, 2008 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:05 PM

OK. So I google'd "Vestas Portland" and got a list of sites in Portland. It's mostly office buildings, but includes a "training facility." Does this preclude building in the main South Waterfront area? I only ask because training implies some level of industrial zoning.

edit: If they do choose to build in the Marquam Bridge area, a big if, would that limit the height of the building? Is it still zoned industrial?

Not to be too speculative, but if they do build there, would it attract other companies as well?

2nd edit: OK, I'll stop after this bit. I just think that if this deal comes through, it'll be huge for Portland. Not that the amount of jobs will be that large (well, comparatively) but that it marks Portland as an epicenter in Green Industry. Hell, this is the only sector of the economy I expect to grow over the next couple of years. I could rant on about how this might have come about but I'll save that for another time (and another thread).

Last edited by Snowden352; Dec 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 11:58 PM

Vestas is also (besides building their North American headquarters in Portland) going to relocate their International Headquarters to another Danish city in 2011. They are going to be busy....maybe their architects, working on their Danish headquarters, could work with the locals. I couldn't find an image of their present headquarters but one of their R & D buildings is kinda cool:

Company announcement from
Vestas Wind Systems A/S

Randers, 1 October 2008
Company announcement No. 42/2008

Vestas to move its headquarters to Aarhus, Denmark in 2011.

Last edited by PacificNW; Dec 6, 2008 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:17 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowat View Post
this says to me they're looking north of Ross Island bridge. Is that possible with the Schnitzer-donated land?
No, the whole area was envisioned as a "biotech hub" but obviously hasnt happened yet..

I doubt the school would be so eager to get rid of land N of the Marquam when most of the rest of the district hasnt been developed yet. Their long-term plan is an unbroken campus, after all.

Schnitz may have even put stipulations on it like "you cant sell the land" but I dont know

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 4:18 AM

isn't their a significant amount of Zidell land between the two OHSU properties? I thought it extended from the Ross Island Bridge to about halfway to the Marquam? Maybe there?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 9:25 PM

The zidell property extends from their waterfront factory and offices just south of the Ross Island, continues north behind the small office building and then cuts east creating a finger like property along the waterfront. If the city ever wants to redevelop their property, or wants to connect the waterfront path from Riverplace to SoWa, they will need to help Zidell remediate all of the clean up along this strip of land.

http://www.portlandmaps.com/detail.c...&seg_id=140953

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland