HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
uhh.. Axel, hope that's not u with the fly down.
Yeah, that's what my 14 year old girlfriend told me!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 10:01 PM

It appears that Chelsea Spy is on the clock.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:05 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

In a feeble effort to revive this thread, who shall be next here? I refuse to nominate myself, that would be horrifically arrogant of me...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
In a feeble effort to revive this thread, who shall be next here? I refuse to nominate myself, that would be horrifically arrogant of me...

Aaron (Glowrock)
ok I'll do it for you.... I nominate Glowrock (ps make sure the check is mailed by this friday or I'll retract my nomination)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:52 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
ok I'll do it for you.... I nominate Glowrock (ps make sure the check is mailed by this friday or I'll retract my nomination)
Would you like a Cashier's Check, or will a personal check suffice? Seriously though, I wasn't kidding. I don't consider myself to be a good enough photographer (YET) to be profiled in this thread. I just wanted to revive it so others would start coming in and giving us their tools of the trade, tips and tricks!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:15 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

My name is Bunt, and I'm an alcoholic.

Oh, and I'm lazy too. Which is why, despite having a DSLR, I rarely use it. I am a the best-money-can-buy point and shoot afficianado. Soon, I'll be switching up to the new Canon S100. Why spend $429 on a point and shoot you ask? Because it has manual controls and fits in my pocket. And did I mention I am lazy?

Seriously though, I get to good shots with my feet, and I hate the extra weight. And I'm willing to get up at the buttcrack of dawn, which also gives me an advantage. But because I am stupidly willing to tromp miles into the middle of nowhere in the dark for my shots, I'll still put them against two-thirds of my DSLR toting forum friends here. Now that's arrogant, Aaron!

The special photographers are the ones who tromp and aren't lazy about it. We have a few really good ones on here, too. If you're willing to go to Timbuktu (literally or metaphorically) carrying ten different lenses, well, you're a better human than I.

Oh, and I hate people. People pictures, I mean. Scenery (urban or otherwise), good. People, bad.

Now you know me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Would you like a Cashier's Check, or will a personal check suffice? Seriously though, I wasn't kidding. I don't consider myself to be a good enough photographer (YET) to be profiled in this thread. I just wanted to revive it so others would start coming in and giving us their tools of the trade, tips and tricks!
Aaron (Glowrock)
Here's a tip..don't listen what asshole photo snobs say, if you think your shots are great, then they're great, and tell those equipment whores to shove their 15 lenses up their rear end .Of course I'm not talking about SSP photographers who in general are super nice people, but try checking some photo sites to see what I mean, now if you will excuse me I'm off to buy a $9,500 Leica M9 (manual focus only)

Last edited by mr.John; Oct 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:13 PM
3rd Coast King

I sent a message to Chelsea Spy since that was the last person to be nominated by Olga. I have never actually seen this person post anything but they do still have an active account.

In the event that she is not available I think we should make a list of nominations of people who may be worthy of being noted here.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:14 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:

Aaron (Glowrock)
I agree with you here. The key word being "yet." The upgrade to the dslr has really been noticeable though. keep honing the skills.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:20 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Here's a tip..don't listen what asshole photo snobs say, if you think your shots are great, than they're great, and tell those equipment whores to shove their 15 lenses up their rear end .Of course I'm not talking about SSP photographers who in general are super nice people, but try checking some photo sites to see what I mean, now if you will excuse me I'm off to buy a $9,500 Leica M9 (manual focus only)
Honestly I would kill for a Leica m9 with some of that 1.1 action!

Speaking of that you can get an adapter for the sony nex cameras and use old leica lens on it.

You know......................... if you want to................... save.................................. $8500 dollar.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:23 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
My name is Bunt, and I'm an alcoholic.

Oh, and I hate people. People pictures, I mean. Scenery (urban or otherwise), good. People, bad.
people (photos) hate you too! Now you know.

My Book

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Honestly I would kill for a Leica m9 with some of that 1.1 action!

Speaking of that you can get an adapter for the sony nex cameras and use old leica lens on it.

You know......................... if you want to................... save.................................. $8500 dollar.
or you can use Carl Zeiss lenses which cost a fraction of Leica lenses and are just as good, I had a 45mm Zeiss for my Contax G2 which according to different websites was the sharpest lens they ever tested...if it's German, it's got to be good period

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:

Now you know me.
so I guess people are not allowed to live in your ideal city

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 9:06 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
so I guess people are not allowed to live in your ideal city
They can live here. They just need to stand aside when I want to take a photo.

When I think people photos, I think more the ones where people are the subject. People as part of the landscape, that's different. It may also be that I think it's a little weird taking sneak photos of folks. I don't mean just incidental people, but actual photos of them.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 9:29 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I'm terrible at people photos. If someone asks me to take their picture, it's like I forget everything I know about photography.

That said, several SSPers are gods when it comes to that, and I certainly enjoy looking at their work.

Maybe someday I'll get into that, but for now, I just don't have it in me.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 1:49 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Inevitably, when I do try and take people shots, it turns ugly. An early example:

I also feel somewhat uncomfortable traipsing around foreign cities with telephoto monsters...anything >200mm or so. That's not a lens, it's a spyscope. And I'd rather stick to landscapes than wind up accused of espionage.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Inevitably, when I do try and take people shots, it turns ugly. An early example:
Looks like your typical friendly muslim to me,seriously these people hate everyone and everything, what did you expect?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:29 AM
Give us a kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
That said, several SSPers are gods when it comes to that, and I certainly enjoy looking at their work.

Maybe someday I'll get into that, but for now, I just don't have it in me.
I think kilgore trout single handedly caused me to get into people photos. I still suck and feel weird doing it, but seeing what he and others like diskojoe here come up with is a never ending source of inspiration.

Oh and Chelsea spy used to be pretty active in the photo section, too bad he seemingly disappeared. Another ssp euro casualty...

Last edited by big T; Oct 27, 2011 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post

I also feel somewhat uncomfortable traipsing around foreign cities with telephoto monsters...anything >200mm or so. That's not a lens, it's a spyscope. And I'd rather stick to landscapes than wind up accused of espionage.
Looks like Marrakesh. Easily one of the most hostile places I've ever taken photos. I was barked at several times for raising my camera in someone's general direction. I took this shot of a crowd at the main square. The street performer actually stopped his act and singled me out, demanding money, stating the crowd was his and I had to pay to take its photo. I think he did it more to embarrass a tourist than for the reason he stated.

Hostile Crowd by Porter Yates, on Flickr

The only other place I've experienced similar hostility is Bolivia. I took this shot and the woman sitting down in the distance spotted my camera up, pointing in her general direction. She got up and started yelling angrily and pointing at me. I moved on pretty quickly.

Rodrigo's Wall by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Though not my preferred method I think shooting from the hip or chest to not draw attention is a legitimate practice. Just like in science there is an observer effect with photography. I might see a shot I want but to shooting with the camera to my face results in someone looking into the lens and putting their hand up. I like to try and capture the scene as it exists naturally, not the scene's reaction to me shooting it.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:18 AM
Give us a kiss

^my old point n shoot had a swiveling screen, that was pretty useful in situations like this.
sadly it handled that 5 ft free fall onto concrete quite badly.

in general i've found that asia is the most awesome place to take people pictures. everybody seems to be taking pictures of everything there anyways (yay stereotypes, i know), and nobody seems to mind. at least in big cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography