HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 6:45 PM

What's the master site plan for Cabrini? I know someone has something planned for all of that land.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 7:19 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

<the urban politician> Its probably some crap, suburban, Palatine cul-de-sac housing, and strip mall </the urban politician>

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
A couple blocks' worth of the Cabrini low-rises (the 3-story apts that already had the first floor boarded up) now are surrounded by new chain-link fencing. Looks like demo should happen soon.
Im confused. I thought these were all being re-habbed?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:22 PM
TL;DR

No only the ones along the western edge were rehabbed. The others were proposed to be rehabbed but CHA did an about face and decided to tear them down instead.

I was really hoping to get some more E-W connections to Larrabee. The intersection at Chicago (and really that whole stretch of Chicago through River North) is terribly congested because there are no good alternative streets. Not good for one of the city's busiest bus routes. Locust seems to be the best choice if the city can get Moody Bible to accept it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
What's the master site plan for Cabrini? I know someone has something planned for all of that land.
The Same Projects that was home for the show good times from 1974-79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKHg5CP7pk

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 12:37 AM
Urbane observer

^Well, close. The Mother Cabrini Homes were townhouses. Good Times was set in the William Green Homes, nearby highrises.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I was really hoping to get some more E-W connections to Larrabee. The intersection at Chicago (and really that whole stretch of Chicago through River North) is terribly congested because there are no good alternative streets. Not good for one of the city's busiest bus routes. Locust seems to be the best choice if the city can get Moody Bible to accept it.
A bridge widening would help Chicago Avenue's congestion a lot. What are the prospects of that (seeing as so many other bridges in the immediate area are being widened or at least re-done)? I assume one of the Division Street bridges is still next in line?

Chicago Avenue actually gets congested during the evening rush (maybe morning as well) west of there too, as it approaches the frustrating Milwaukee-Ogden 6-way intersection. If only there were a way to reengineer that intersection so you could have a smooth E-W arterial, or at least smoother access onto the Kennedy to flush those cars out of the way. Not that just building more roads is a good solution, but I wonder if re-routing Elston substantially so that southwards from Division it runs between the river and the UP passenger tracks (along currently undeveloped land) and then terminates on Chicago near Halsted would help. Traffic now stopping at every light on the way to/from the Kennedy would instead access the Kennedy at Division via the new stoplight-free stretch. Or maybe the long-orphaned stretch of Ogden could be re-utilized productively somehow. It would be nice ultimately to see the Blue Line Chicago station evolve into residential TOD without the sometimes oppressive thru traffic and the odd geometry of that 6-way (actually 7-way or more if you consider Elston being an artery there) intersection.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:24 AM
TL;DR

You could just connect Elston to Ogden so they form one continuous roadway. Or link them at a riverfront traffic circle. I don't see how that solves the problem I'm describing, though... plus I don't think a bridge replacement is feasible in such a physically constrained site where there are no nearby alternative bridges. I suppose you could stripe it asymmetrically so westbound traffic gets two full lanes and does not back up through the Larrabee intersection - but three car lanes leaves no room for cyclists.

That said, the congestion I experienced recently at Chicago/Larrabee will probably lessen once Halsted is re-opened. Also, CDOT is planning to rebuild the elevated Chicago/Halsted intersection sometime in the next few years. This might reduce congestion by using a better configuration.

Understand that I'm not advocating for more roads to reduce congestion for its own sake - but relieving congestion in the corridor is probably the cheapest way to significantly improve transit service, so long as the road improvements don't produce a pedestrian-hostile environment.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 6:24 AM

Quote:
You could just connect Elston to Ogden so they form one continuous roadway. Or link them at a riverfront traffic circle. I don't see how that solves the problem I'm describing, though... plus I don't think a bridge replacement is feasible in such a physically constrained site where there are no nearby alternative bridges. I suppose you could stripe it asymmetrically so westbound traffic gets two full lanes and does not back up through the Larrabee intersection - but three car lanes leaves no room for cyclists.
Sorry, I did go beyond the problem you were describing and started to address other things I saw happening along the whole stretch east of the Kennedy. I'd love to ensure there's an "R" in any BRT there. But who knows - we're talking huge swaths of land on the former Cabrini/Green sites, so in the long term if traffic volumes substantially increase, this might help. And if you're going to nab some land for re-routing roadways in that area, it should be done before they get redeveloped. Also, re: the bridge, do you think it can't be widened owing to the clearance between the two former warehouse buildings? Or just that it would have to be a little unusual, like nixing the sidewalk on one or the other side?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:53 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
... Also, re: the bridge, do you think it can't be widened owing to the clearance between the two former warehouse buildings? Or just that it would have to be a little unusual, like nixing the sidewalk on one or the other side?
What I think would be a good solution would be to force those two buildings adjacent to Chicago at the River to create a pedestrian arcade for a sidewalk, and then widen the road and bridge to directly abut the buildings. Then you not only have room for multi-lanes in both directions, but also for BRT lanes. I might take the opportunity to widen Chicago to be as wide as its current widest spot all the way to Orleans.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 3:22 PM

I bet there's plenty of room to fit four lanes of traffic plus sidewalks plus even some bike lanes between those buildings. Rebuilding or widening the bridge would probably be expensive, though - wouldn't the replacement have to be moveable? Is there any modern precedent in Chicago for widening an existing bascule bridge?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 3:36 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
I bet there's plenty of room to fit four lanes of traffic plus sidewalks plus even some bike lanes between those buildings. Rebuilding or widening the bridge would probably be expensive, though - wouldn't the replacement have to be moveable? Is there any modern precedent in Chicago for widening an existing bascule bridge?
The biggest loss with widening it would probably be the pathway under it where you can get a good look at the mechanicals. It's really a cool section of the riverwalk and anyone who hasn't walked along there, I highly recommend it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 10:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Also, re: the bridge, do you think it can't be widened owing to the clearance between the two former warehouse buildings? Or just that it would have to be a little unusual, like nixing the sidewalk on one or the other side?
The two Wards buildings do press right up to the bridge, so construction would be complex and expensive. Does the bridge need to be moveable? The Chicago bridge is also historic; do we have an obligation to preserve it?

But also, I'm trying to imagine the staging. Where do you send that huge volume of traffic while Chicago is closed for bridge work? Maybe a temporary bridge at Erie? (the abutments of the former bridge still exist)

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
create a pedestrian arcade for a sidewalk, and then widen the road and bridge to directly abut the buildings.
I dig the creative solution.
Quote:
The Chicago bridge is also historic; do we have an obligation to preserve it?
Didn't know about that. Back to the aging Division Street bridges, what is the plan/schedule for those, and how important is their historic value?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
TL;DR

Plans for the Division Street project can be found here (PDF). Note that those plans have not yet been Gabe Klein-ified as the Damen/Elston/Fullerton project was to become more bike/ped friendly. It appears that the western span on Division will be cable-stayed while the eastern span will be a mirror of the Halsted arch.

All of the projects mentioned here, and then some, are listed in a 2010 bridges wish list (PDF). Well, not really a wish list per se, but the highest-priority bridge replacements in the city. Probably most or all of these will get built eventually as funding allows.

Quote:
  • Division Street bridges over Chicago River and North Branch Canal
  • Lake Shore Drive over Lawrence, Wilson and LaSalle Drive
  • Canal Street viaduct—Taylor to Madison
  • Western Avenue viaduct over Belmont
  • Ashland Avenue viaduct over Pershing Road
  • Taylor Street bridge over Chicago River South Branch
  • Wells Street bascule bridge
  • Irving Park bridge over Chicago River
  • Chicago Avenue bridge over Chicago River and Halsted Street viaduct

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post

They should build a museum dedicated to the short but memorable history of housing projects worldwide. Expansive gardens with one specie of tree, well manicured lawns, and a water fountain to reinstate simple ways of water consumption in the city. Remember when you didnt have to buy a bottle of Coca-Cola bottled tap water from your municipal reservoirs?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
Urbane observer

http://www.publichousingmuseum.org/
Donations are welcome.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Thanks Mr Downtown. Foiled again, story of my life; came in last at everything I ever undertook. Just when I thought I had an original idea.

When is the museum set to open?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:16 AM

^^^It looks like they are still raising the money...

Here is a pic of the plan (looks like they essentially want to encase the whole building in glass- its very cool). I'm not sure who did the design, but the pic is from this article.

Also, here is a flickr of the building in 2009.

Also, this seems really great. If this gets the funding to be built, I hope it gets enough national attention to become a tourist spot that will bring out-of-towners into neighborhoods... though I wouldn't exactly call University village a "neighborhood."
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Last edited by ChiPhi; Apr 16, 2012 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:20 AM

Quote:
a 2010 bridges wish list (PDF).
Thanks for that. So the Wells Street viaduct done some years ago by Teng was only the Wacker section, and not the river crossing section. I suppose it does look a little old. That double-level bridge is iconic and I'm a little worried what it could be redesigned into. Also, rerouting the Brown Line for many months will be another big disruption.

But what do they mean on p.25 by only partially-described Milwaukee, Lake, and Grand "future sections"? And are those rebuilds like North LSD or just resurfacings?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development