HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 12:15 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
The tender was reported in the TJ - haven't actually seen it - but calling for a space of 9500 sq ft. Can't think of much Uptown that could accommodate that except maybe Woolworths.
How does the Woolworth's building meet their requirement of "related parking and transport truck access space"? Their current Prince Edward location provides much more of this than the corner of King and Charlotte.

It's good to see ANBL want a new location Uptown (again) it has to be said. I would actually quite enjoy if the Woolworth's building was connected (preferably underground) with the City Market in some way. There's enough space in that building for an ANBL along with any activities or other vendors the Market could desire. It needs substantial renovating.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
How does the Woolworth's building meet their requirement of "related parking and transport truck access space"? Their current Prince Edward location provides much more of this than the corner of King and Charlotte.

It's good to see ANBL want a new location Uptown (again) it has to be said. I would actually quite enjoy if the Woolworth's building was connected (preferably underground) with the City Market in some way. There's enough space in that building for an ANBL along with any activities or other vendors the Market could desire. It needs substantial renovating.
Any uptown location will have parking challenges but there is significant street parking along with 3 large parking lots within easy walking distance - the old Paramount site, beside the market and over on the other side of King across from the Admiral Beatty. With the addition of the IO HQ I firmly believe that the vast majority of customers will be pedestrians not to mention all those working in the pedway system and attached office buildings.

It would be great to see covered access but what I don't want to see is any undermining of King Street as a pedestrian shopping venue - there are a number of retailers and restaurants on King who are thriving - an anchor store like NBLC would only enhance this.

The transport access issue will also be an issue anywhere uptown but there are solutions - early morning delivery; shorter trucks etc - other businesses Uptown seem to manage and pretty much EVERY European city that deals with narrow old streets seem to manage as well.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:11 PM

I'm relatively sure it will not be the Woolworth location, as there is another developer from out of town looking at the site for a full demolition and redevelopment.

It's true though, there are not many 9500 sq.ft. locations Uptown unless someone plans to build a new structure on an empty lot and lease it to NBL, which IMO is out best case scenario. I am concerned about their parking and transport truck requirement though, as it will severely limit the design of any store. They need to accept that Uptown Saint John isn't the same as Harvey, St. George or Woodstock, we have a very different density and pedestrian focus that will not be served well by one of their generic retail outlet.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I'm relatively sure it will not be the Woolworth location, as there is another developer from out of town looking at the site for a full demolition and redevelopment.

It's true though, there are not many 9500 sq.ft. locations Uptown unless someone plans to build a new structure on an empty lot and lease it to NBL, which IMO is out best case scenario. I am concerned about their parking and transport truck requirement though, as it will severely limit the design of any store. They need to accept that Uptown Saint John isn't the same as Harvey, St. George or Woodstock, we have a very different density and pedestrian focus that will not be served well by one of their generic retail outlet.
Yes, I have also heard that there is interest in building a condo on that corner - will be interesting and as much as I would love to see ANY development in that spot I question the condo market in SJ.....can anyone say "3 Sisters"?!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:42 PM

Quote:

with almost no locations of the size needed for an NBLC location they might have to pull a rabbit out of a hat like they do in Toronto's downtown core. I sense a multi level, or strange location in the works.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
with almost no locations of the size needed for an NBLC location they might have to pull a rabbit out of a hat like they do in Toronto's downtown core. I sense a multi level, or strange location in the works.
This could be very exciting if they go for a "unique" location and structure!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 5:06 PM

East Side Mario's is getting a $500k renovation and will be reopening Dec 27th.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Any sources on this?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
Any sources on this?
I heard rumours but will try to track down some sources. Also thinking the old Birks location. While not big enough it does look like the upper floors are empty and a multi level location on King would be interesting?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 1:20 PM

Quote:
I heard rumours but will try to track down some sources. Also thinking the old Birks location. While not big enough it does look like the upper floors are empty and a multi level location on King would be interesting?
Unless there is an elevator for wheelchair access (and I don't know one way or another), I doubt the site would qualify.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Unless there is an elevator for wheelchair access (and I don't know one way or another), I doubt the site would qualify.
I don't know either but if, and that's likely a big if, it were to be considered the interior would have to be entirely redesigned and to accommodate people with mobility issues, an elevator would have to be in place. Any Uptown location unless its a completely new build will have to be very imaginative in its design.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:45 PM

It is looking like Market Square for NBLCC.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Wow - where? I didn't realize there was that much empty space but not a bad idea - will certainly pull people to that area.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 5:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
And if they're smart they'll give people the ability to park for free for up to an hour in the parking garage as long as they have a receipt from the ANBL.

Quote:
Wow - where? I didn't realize there was that much empty space but not a bad idea - will certainly pull people to that area.
When is the Museum moving out (I was under the assumption they were)? The Main floor for that area would be a good spot.

I like Market Square a lot for a new ANBL, honestly.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
And if they're smart they'll give people the ability to park for free for up to an hour in the parking garage as long as they have a receipt from the ANBL.

When is the Museum moving out (I was under the assumption they were)? The Main floor for that area would be a good spot.

I like Market Square a lot for a new ANBL, honestly.
Last I had heard the museum was staying - their lease was coming up and thought it was renewed but I could be wrong. Not sure where it would go with the Douglas Ave. location soon to be renovated maybe back there?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
I wonder will this location have street access or will it be only accessible from within MS, not sure I have even seen a NBLCC inside a mall before??

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
I wonder will this location have street access or will it be only accessible from within MS, not sure I have even seen a NBLCC inside a mall before??
Trying to imagine what it would even look like - Market Square is right at the harbours edge - not alot of room outside but the mall is open late as there are restaurants and the convention centre right there. As someone posted earlier, an hours free parking with a purchase would be good but they will also get alot of pedestrian traffic - 2 big condo developments - the entire pedway systems - and the new IO HQ on King Square. An anchor like NBLC will be fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 8:35 PM
ハルウララ

Moved the discussion regarding Sobey's East Point to the Saint John Retail Thread.

Quote:
Last I had heard the museum was staying - their lease was coming up and thought it was renewed but I could be wrong. Not sure where it would go with the Douglas Ave. location soon to be renovated maybe back there?
My understanding was that the NBM was moving back to Douglas Ave. in full after the Douglas Ave. location was confirmed for expansion. I was under the assumption that the expansion was so the full museum could move back to its original location.

If that is the case then it seems likely ANBL would move into that location, perhaps taking up only the ground floor...unless they're feeling ambitious.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 9:30 PM

In the retail threat, someone commented on an expansion where Genysys is. Apparently they didn't us up all the space after the recent expansion at MS. Wonder if this is where the ANBL is going?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Moved the discussion regarding Sobey's East Point to the Saint John Retail Thread.

My understanding was that the NBM was moving back to Douglas Ave. in full after the Douglas Ave. location was confirmed for expansion. I was under the assumption that the expansion was so the full museum could move back to its original location.

If that is the case then it seems likely ANBL would move into that location, perhaps taking up only the ground floor...unless they're feeling ambitious.
Funny thing....NB Liquor used to be in Market Square, before the Exhibitions Hall's construction there kicked them out.

Might be a nice homecoming for them if they go back there, along with a lot more business. =)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces