HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
I have to laugh at this comment. saskatoon is on pace for 3000 homes this year and a pop. increase of a little over 7000 people. and its not oil and gas driving the economy its potash for the most part. i have to laugh at these comments from winnipegers
The CMHC's latest Housing Outlook seems to confirm what Joshy said:

Quote:
Despite these positives, competing
factors will temper housing starts
next year. Builders will face rising
inventories of new homes and
heightened competition from the
resale market. Meanwhile, the lagged
impact of two consecutive years of
job losses will temper demand, as
will lower levels of net migration.
Collectively, these factors will set the
stage for an 11 per cent reduction in
total housing starts in 2012 as builders
begin construction on 2,500 new
units.
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/esu...=1324060432765

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 7:10 PM

I never been to the peg, but it looks nice in the pics of seen on here. Im one of those sterotypical why would i live in winnipeg, then again i live in regina, just seems like your goin even further down the ladder if u move to the peg, even tho i do go there for jets games when i can cuz calgary sucks!! I just the think the 3 paraire citys, peg, stoon, and regina all get looked at like that, thats why its hard for our citys to grow consistantly.

Regina's boom is long lasting, i think our city has the potential to catch stoon in population in the next 10years( Just my 2c)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
roccerfeller, it is neat to compare the lists you have shown. As early as 2008, just 3 years ago Winnipeg was forecasting our CMA population of approximately 760,000 by 2021. This is where we are at today in 2011. We have definitely picked up the pace.

It would be nice to hit the 800,000 CMA mark by 2015 as predicted in this years forecast.
Yes, 800k by 2015 is very realistic, and I think it will be closer to 810k.

My estimates for Winnipeg CMA is, at the very least 10k-12k per year avg; given hypothetical growth increments in addition to that, I envision something like this:

Current CMA: ~765k

2012 +10k (~775k) / 1.013%

2013 +11.4k (~786.4) / 1.0147%

2014 +12.6k (~799k) / 1.0199%

2015 +13.8k (~812.8k) / 1.0173%

= ~812.8k

(numbers are based on current raw percentages where as of 2008, the population increase was less than 1.01% [1.008% - 1.009%], whereas currently it has grown to 1.011-> 1.0122 - > 1.0126%; I think it will start getting to 1.015%, 1.019%, 1.02+%)

So on the high end, we could be at even 815-820k; optimistic but the way we are moving right now I predict a growth rate at 1.02% becoming the norm, trending one day towards 1.05-1.06% which would be amazing.

But keep in mind we haven't even entered our "boom" phase yet; its still a progression towards that. Winnipeg's "boom" won't be anything like the Albertan cities or even Saskatoon & Regina's (rates); rather it will be a more steady, consistent pace...which should incrementally go up each and every year. We're progressing towards it but never quite hitting it. Perhaps we'll feel it once we pass the 800k mark? Consider during the same time we stabilized at ~10k per year, cities like Calgary dropped from 32k to 18k. The larger we grow, the more momentum we gain, and the population continues to stabilize at a new mark.

Once we pass the 800k mark, we will be something like a point of no return, if you will. That is when the momentum of the city is such that a "new" bottom line is set. Winnipeg will be in a very good position 30 years from now as a city to live in, with a stable economy; I believe perceptions about the city will be quite different then. The biggest thing Winnipeg has that no other city in this country, outside of the territories, can truly claim is that all the economy is centred around one major city in Manitoba. That will have some very strong long term effects methinks.

I think its going to start going to baseline at 15k per year after that, which in 5 years would be huge - a 5k increase on a baseline? That would be something (for Winnipeg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I think it would be pretty difficult to entice people from southern Ontario to Manitoba.
True. But some may have no choice; I see it a lot with some people I meet regularly, though it is mainly people relocating from Alberta believe it or not. Alberta and Ontario ex-pats are becoming more common in Winnipeg, and within the French community there are many (about 70 or so /year) from France coming which I find intriguing.

Fact is, Winnipeg is affordable and has job opportunities; a lot of these unemployed individuals are moving here with their hands cuffed out of need. And also to Saskatchewan, where most seem to be going, and is slightly more affordable than Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Yeah, but most people live in there own little worlds. I rarely hear good things about people from down here about Winnipeg, excluding of course the return of the Jets. Most people are ignorant about how Winnipeg is doing. Most people don't pay attention to the influx of amazing things happening outside a city of their own. When I tell people here that I am moving back there, their response always falls on the lines of, "Are you f---ing crazy? Why would you want to move there? It is way to cold up there for me." Most of whom have never been, and will never go to Winnipeg, but hold on to their ignorant bias.
Its strange how perceptions have changed over time; in the first half of the 1900's, Winnipeg was an "it" place. It had a very strong reputation around the country. Yet by the 1980s and 1990s that had completely changed to being a "cheap" town, where everyone wants a "deal" which is still echoed in many circles today. It will take decades before the perception changes again, but it will change. I don't see Winnipeg or the two main Saskatchewan cities going through the huge slowdown they did during the second half of the 1900's again, because of how their economies are shaping up. The premiers are smart. The leaders know they need to create a strong foundation, as strong foundations are more important than whatever is built on top of it. That will be key for the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
I never been to the peg, but it looks nice in the pics of seen on here. Im one of those sterotypical why would i live in winnipeg, then again i live in regina, just seems like your goin even further down the ladder if u move to the peg, even tho i do go there for jets games when i can cuz calgary sucks!! I just the think the 3 paraire citys, peg, stoon, and regina all get looked at like that, thats why its hard for our citys to grow consistantly.

Regina's boom is long lasting, i think our city has the potential to catch stoon in population in the next 10years( Just my 2c)
I agree that Regina will have a long lasting boom, as will Saskatoon, but these cities still have better days in front of them if you can believe it. I also think Regina has a good shot pass Saskatoon in population akin to how Calgary passed Edmonton, just because Regina seems to be the corporate HQ choice in Saskatchewan, but unlike Calgary, Regina is also a provincial capital and thus has the crown corporation focus. So something that played to Edmonton's favor might not play to Saskatoon's. That said, it won't happen for a long time...I'm not sure 10 years from now Regina will be bigger...I think Saskatoon will still be. Maybe in 20-30 years. It took Calgary a long long time to overtake Edmonton. But these two cities will co-exist quite well I think. Saskatoon will always be the more artsy, "cultural" student-oriented city too, just because that is one of its core cultures. Its going to be similar to the Calgary-Edmonton relationship during the 1940's-80's, till now, I feel.

Though your post confused the hell outta me: You've never been to the Peg, but you come here for Jets games when you can?

Last edited by roccerfeller; Dec 16, 2011 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:26 PM

Just like Calgary did to Edmonton is the 1980's, Saskatoon overtook Regina as the biggest cities in their provinces. Saskatoon has had a higher growth rate since and still does. I'm sure we could all argue back and forth about stats from all the prairie cities, we should be proud of our little corner of the world and all of our cities doing so fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:38 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalist View Post
Just like Calgary did to Edmonton is the 1980's, Saskatoon overtook Regina as the biggest cities in their provinces. Saskatoon has had a higher growth rate since and still does. I'm sure we could all argue back and forth about stats from all the prairie cities, we should be proud of our little corner of the world and all of our cities doing so fantastic.
Apparently, Morden MB is almost near mininum census population number for city status!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:34 AM

Its just that, yeah iv been there for jets games, but thats my only time going there, and only in the past 2 months, i just dont want to come off like i know stuff about the peg, which i dont, but i would like to go there one day, i think the chrm looks great, any city would love to have that building

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 1:31 PM

Quote:

The Global Transportation Hub will play a big role in it. They have already secured major tenants and its fully serviced. Rumors are that GENCO is looking to setup shop there.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 2:34 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
The Global Transportation Hub will play a big role in it. They have already secured major tenants and its fully serviced. Rumors are that GENCO is looking to setup shop there.
Whats GENCO?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
And what does this have to do with Winnipeg's population growth, or are you just trying to bring your annoying Saskatchewan boosterism into this thread?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
And what does this have to do with Winnipeg's population growth, or are you just trying to bring your annoying Saskatchewan boosterism into this thread?
Read up a couple of posts to the context replied to.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Its just that, yeah iv been there for jets games, but thats my only time going there, and only in the past 2 months, i just dont want to come off like i know stuff about the peg, which i dont, but i would like to go there one day, i think the chrm looks great, any city would love to have that building
That's awesome that you were able to get tics, being from out of town and having never been here before. Many of my friends are in the lottery for tics, and still haven't been drawn yet. Where did you stay when you were in town?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:

Greetings....first time poster, however longtime viewer of this site and forum. I live in Winnipeg, but have a decent job that has given me the opportunity to spend time in all major centers in this fine country of ours.

My travels have given me a perspective that I'd like to think is fairly based on experiences than perceptions, however, I readily admit that I have my hometown bias' like the next guy.

The bottom line is this....Winnipeg for its size ranks very high in terms of food and culture....in line with centers like Toronto. It's actully quite unreal how spoiled we are for the city of our size.

I must say, and I don't know why, but your "movin to the Peg would movin down the ladder" comment just based on nothing more than pure ignorance. I have spent lots of time in Regina and Saskatoon over the years and both are wonderful cities, but to make a comparison, let alone a judgement, I find comical.

I have had New Yorkers in town that think sushi begins and ends with Nobu. these same New Yorkers were texting their fellow I-banker co-workers in NY how they just found something better in Winnipeg (wasabi on broadway).

Next time
u catch a Jets game, spend a day or 2 here and experience the some of the best food and arts scene u will see anywhere in Canada, this much u'll realize, Wpg certainly is not moving down the ladder from Regina.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCanada View Post
Greetings....first time poster, however longtime viewer of this site and forum. I live in Winnipeg, but have a decent job that has given me the opportunity to spend time in all major centers in this fine country of ours.

My travels have given me a perspective that I'd like to think is fairly based on experiences than perceptions, however, I readily admit that I have my hometown bias' like the next guy.

The bottom line is this....Winnipeg for its size ranks very high in terms of food and culture....in line with centers like Toronto. It's actully quite unreal how spoiled we are for the city of our size.

I must say, and I don't know why, but your "movin to the Peg would movin down the ladder" comment just based on nothing more than pure ignorance. I have spent lots of time in Regina and Saskatoon over the years and both are wonderful cities, but to make a comparison, let alone a judgement, I find comical.

I have had New Yorkers in town that think sushi begins and ends with Nobu. these same New Yorkers were texting their fellow I-banker co-workers in NY how they just found something better in Winnipeg (wasabi on broadway).

Next time
u catch a Jets game, spend a day or 2 here and experience the some of the best food and arts scene u will see anywhere in Canada, this much u'll realize, Wpg certainly is not moving down the ladder from Regina.
Welcome aboard!

Someone from Regina (or from anywhere in Sask.) talking down about Winnipeg is laughable.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:16 PM

Will do!!! Thanks for the love winnipegers

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Welcome aboard!

Someone from Regina (or from anywhere in Sask.) talking down about Winnipeg is laughable.
I don't like how prairie people feel the need to bash those that live in other prairie cities. Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina for example all have many wonderful things going for them, as well as bad. All in all, we know we live in great cities. Just because people who live in large metropolises show their ignorance about us, there is no need for us to stoop to their same level. We should celebrate together that we are all growing and booming and be proud of what we have considering our geographical locations and small populations.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:48 PM
BANNED

There are many great things happening in Winnipeg today, in terms of construction:

- Plans for a hotel just north of the MTS Centre
- The new Airport terminal
- The new Winnipeg Stadium
- Centreport
- The Chief Peguis Trail extension
- The University of Winnipeg expansion
- The new student residential buildings at the U of M and U of W
- The Construction of the BRT from Downtown to Jubilee (and hopefully to the U of M)

It is an exciting time to be a resident of Winnipeg. I am anxious to return to the city and take some photos of the progress of some of these projects in the last four months.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 2:04 AM

[QUOTE=roccerfeller;5519417]Yes, 800k by 2015 is very realistic, and I think it will be closer to 810k.

My estimates for Winnipeg CMA is, at the very least 10k-12k per year avg; given hypothetical growth increments in addition to that, I envision something like this:

= ~812.8k

(numbers are based on current raw percentages where as of 2008, the population increase was less than 1.01% [1.008% - 1.009%], whereas currently it has grown to 1.011-> 1.0122 - > 1.0126%; I think it will start getting to 1.015%, 1.019%, 1.02+%)

So on the high end, we could be at even 815-820k; optimistic but the way we are moving right now I predict a growth rate at 1.02% becoming the norm, trending one day towards 1.05-1.06% which would be amazing.

This will never, ever happen. Even cities that have grown at ridiculous paces like Las Vegas, have not seen growth of 5% per year. 2% is certainly something to strive for, it is healthy while not overgrowing the infrastructure at an unsustainable clip.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:30 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Apparently, Morden MB is almost near mininum census population number for city status!
- we got enough people to be a city yet?

- nope. what do you suggest we do?

- Well we better get some Morden.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Yes, 800k by 2015 is very realistic, and I think it will be closer to 810k.

= ~812.8k

This will never, ever happen. Even cities that have grown at ridiculous paces like Las Vegas, have not seen growth of 5% per year. 2% is certainly something to strive for, it is healthy while not overgrowing the infrastructure at an unsustainable clip.
I think you misunderstood roccerfeller's post: 1.05% is not the same as multiplying by 1.05....

Last edited by Bdog; Dec 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
I was being realistic, not idealistic. No where did I state a 5% growth rate. Check the numbers again. I don't think you understood them

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan