HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 8:06 AM

03/02/17

03/05/17

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

Personally I think this looks perfect. Keep in mind that buildings all need support columns. I'd rather have the column in the corner be boxed out and give a space to hand artwork or place a table against, rather than a round column that floats six inches in front of the windows, with nothing but dead unusable space behind. That's not luxury nor impressive.

As for the baseboard section below the window, I just moved into a new office with floor to ceiling windows. There is a heating register that runs the entire length of the windows and which also floats six inches in front and to me just looks silly. Would have been better to build the heating vents into the wall. Make it look integrated and planned instead of an afterthought. (Probably was).

To me, the full floor to ceiling wrap around window looks cold and cheap.
Agreed. I don't want to live in a fish bowl, and really high end luxury buildings generally aren't.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:23 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The baseboards and support columns look fine, but these look like pretty low ceilings for a luxury building.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The baseboards and support columns look fine, but these look like pretty low ceilings for a luxury building.
I agree. The building is 832 ft tall over 68 floors and that is an average of 12. Subtract the floor/ceiling space, the extra height in the penthouse and the lobby and you're probably looking at 10.5 - 11' ceilings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:42 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ ^

No......actually, 10-11' floor-to-ceiling heights are at least average, and maybe a bit on the high side for luxury residential new construction buildings in Chicago, and in a majority of cities in the US and globally......their are some notable outliers to the high side for certain - exhibit one among others being those supertall, superthin towers going up in midtown manhattan.....

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:21 AM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^^ ^

No......actually, 10-11' floor-to-ceiling heights are at least average, and maybe a bit on the high side for luxury residential new construction buildings in Chicago, and in a majority of cities in the US and globally......their are some notable outliers to the high side for certain - exhibit one among others being those supertall, superthin towers going up in midtown manhattan.....

Is the penthouse in this one going to have "bonus ceiling height" like in trump?

^^^^^^
Sweet pictures Bvic. Whered you find those. Did you put them together?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Is the penthouse in this one going to have "bonus ceiling height" like in trump?

^^^^^^
Sweet pictures Bvic. Whered you find those. Did you put them together?
Went to an event, they were shown, my camera was at the ready.

I think the ceilings will be quite generous in the penthouse.

This tower will also have a dampening system.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 1:22 PM

^^^ Ugh, that is one ugly building. Good lord.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:43 PM

Going to need to take a page out of Maupassant's book and eat breakfast in this building everyday so I can't see it from where I sit.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 5:58 PM

One Bennett Park looks larger than it should in both of these images.

In the first image only about 1/4th of the overall building height should be above river east.

In the second image OBP should appear to be somewhere in the middle but closer to the height of Aqua than to the height of Water Tower Place considering that all three are pretty much the same height but OBP is closer to Aqua than to Water Tower Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:14 PM

it's definitely not that thick if you go look at it now going up

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:23 PM

It will also likely be obscured by whatever goes up at the Spire from some perspectives, by Vista from others, and hopefully by whatever goes up at the parking garages directly north across the street (the condo building put theirs up for sale already a couple years ago, if I'm not mistaken).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
going to need to take a page out of maupassant's book and eat breakfast in this building everyday so i can't see it from where i sit.
lol!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:05 PM
BANNED

remember when david copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear? How'd he do that?!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
It will also likely be obscured by whatever goes up at the Spire from some perspectives, by Vista from others, and hopefully by whatever goes up at the parking garages directly north across the street (the condo building put theirs up for sale already a couple years ago, if I'm not mistaken).
Even when something goes up at the spire site it would only block OBP from as far southeast as Adler or 31st Street Beach. It will have a huge impact from the North, South, East and even West. The only perspectives where it will be blocked in most views are from the Southwest or Northwest.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 12:49 AM

Possible facade mockup. Posted to instagram by a partner at RAMSA but the project wasn't identified.

https://instagram.com/p/BRZ8KOehcC8/

"Client Ann" is Ann Thompson of Related Midwest

Last edited by JDMChicago; Mar 11, 2017 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:00 AM

^ Geez I hope thats not for Bennett

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 1:50 AM

What they are trying to do under the middle and lower left windows. Also, the windows are on such different levels that has got to look pretty awkward on the inside.....you going to have a window go from the floor to 3/4 up or from ceiling to 3/4 down.....strange.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2017, 3:12 AM

The mockup is split into three vertical sections. There are so many different kinds of windows on this building I think this is the only way they could preview them all at once.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive