HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 5:55 AM

Not exactly a trustworthy opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Well, that's not a huge shock. When I looked up Lawrence Solomon, who is executive director of Urban Renaissance Institute which is a division of Energy Probe Research Foundation, I found this on wiki.

"Energy Probe is a non-governmental social, economic, and environmental policy organization based in Toronto, known for denying man-made climate change"
"Additional divisions within Energy Probe are the Urban Renaissance Institute, Probe International"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Probe

There are eight external sources to back this up. In short, if the climate change conspiracy theorists are against bike lanes, I think I'll take up cycling (I won't; I have no balance, and walk/transit everywhere).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 6:07 AM

^^^^^

This type of BS funded by the Koch brothers elected President Trump. It's so easy to see through, yet it works.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 8:14 AM

South False Creek Seawall Improvements - Nov. 25 2017

My photos - Taken after the False Creek South Walking Tour

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
My photos - Taken after the False Creek South Walking Tour
It kind of looks like they're only going to install a strip of pavement for bikes and leave the flagstones in place for the pedestrians. That would be unfortunate - my wife always used to complain loudly about how bumpy and uncomfortable that stretch was when I pushed her wheelchair along it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
It kind of looks like they're only going to install a strip of pavement for bikes and leave the flagstones in place for the pedestrians. That would be unfortunate - my wife always used to complain loudly about how bumpy and uncomfortable that stretch was when I pushed her wheelchair along it.
http://vancouver.ca/streets-transpor...k-seawall.aspx

Its city policy to keep the walking path next to the water. So no need to worry, those horrible flagstones are on the way out for everyone!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Its city policy to keep the walking path next to the water. So no need to worry, those horrible flagstones are on the way out for everyone!
Great to hear, thanks for the info!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 1:16 AM

Though I like the improvements on the SP Causeway, I wish that the pedestrian side was the original sidewalk and the new asphalt was for cycling. More smooth and farther away from that fence!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:40 AM

^^agree!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 3:15 AM

10th Avenue Corridor Project - Health Precinct Upgrades

September 25, 2017 -It started with a fire hydrant relocation.

November 29, 2017

December 18, 2017

The traffic flaggers working here deserve a serious round of applause. While there's the expected traffic (patients, personnel, ambulances, etc), there's still a surprising amount of vehicles rat-running down the street. I really believe, if it wasn't for the quality efforts of the construction crews, this area could have been a nightmare. Instead, it is being managed effectively, and will ultimately result in a better corridor for all. Construction is scheduled for completion in Summer 2018.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 8:55 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...pril-1.4489706

Why not just replace it with a modern 4 lane structure. Good old power mainland just patching up piece of shit infrastructure instead of just replacing it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 9:12 PM

So, what the hell are those huge boxes outside the VAG doing? The ones that are on top of those manholes and are made of wood and plastic mesh.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
September 25, 2017 -It started with a fire hydrant relocation.

The traffic flaggers working here deserve a serious round of applause. While there's the expected traffic (patients, personnel, ambulances, etc), there's still a surprising amount of vehicles rat-running down the street. I really believe, if it wasn't for the quality efforts of the construction crews, this area could have been a nightmare. Instead, it is being managed effectively, and will ultimately result in a better corridor for all. Construction is scheduled for completion in Summer 2018.
Living at Laurel and 7th I can also give the people working this project a big thumbs up for trying their best.

With that said, I still cannot understand how coastal health is ok with this?

First 7th was cut off at several places (with large areas turned into permit only parking or 2 hour max) and now this. I actually think utilising side roads for this sort of infrastructure is a good idea but cannot see how this is good for this corridor with emergency having it's access cut off by forcing people/ambulances to go around the block if they are coming from the east. Just my opinion and observations.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
Living at Laurel and 7th I can also give the people working this project a big thumbs up for trying their best.

With that said, I still cannot understand how coastal health is ok with this?

First 7th was cut off at several places (with large areas turned into permit only parking or 2 hour max) and now this. I actually think utilising side roads for this sort of infrastructure is a good idea but cannot see how this is good for this corridor with emergency having it's access cut off by forcing people/ambulances to go around the block if they are coming from the east. Just my opinion and observations.

I also Rove Concepts furniture was driven out of their space at 7th and Oak, doubtless having the street severed there didn’t help. So much for truly mixed neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I also Rove Concepts furniture was driven out of their space at 7th and Oak, doubtless having the street severed there didn’t help. So much for truly mixed neighbourhoods.
The impact was actually two fold.

The street was severed and all non permit parking on 7th was eliminated.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:37 PM

The day after a 15-year old girl was struck and killed by a driver in a Burnaby crosswalk on Cariboo Road, a cyclist was struck and taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Neighbours who use the crosswalk say they've been "trying to get some lights and stuff put on for a long, long time, but it keeps being denied." [source] On the same morning the girl was killed Burnaby RCMP responded to three other incidents involving pedestrians and cyclists struck by drivers.

Burnaby has a billion dollar surplus, yet they don't use any of that money to make improvements to a crosswalk that neighbours have been calling for for years. It's bordering on negligent, their lack of action to keep people safe.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:10 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
The day after a 15-year old girl was struck and killed by a driver in a Burnaby crosswalk on Cariboo Road, a cyclist was struck and taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Neighbours who use the crosswalk say they've been "trying to get some lights and stuff put on for a long, long time, but it keeps being denied." [source] On the same morning the girl was killed Burnaby RCMP responded to three other incidents involving pedestrians and cyclists struck by drivers.

Burnaby has a billion dollar surplus, yet they don't use any of that money to make improvements to a crosswalk that neighbours have been calling for for years. It's bordering on negligent, their lack of action to keep people safe.
Are you implying that we should be spending Corrigan's retirement fund on trivial things such as crosswalks?

I have been trying to persuade the city to at least paint the crosswalk lines on a local street where many kids cross to go to Marlborough school to no avail...Apparently, CoB pedestrian stats do not support the case for that "major" expenditure. And yet the same city has no problem spending 500K a year on flower beds at city hall and those gaudy flower statues...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:36 PM

Amazing driving down 10th this morning. Witnessed two seperate drop off's happening of limited mobility senior citizens, one on laurel, one on willow having to be dropped off a ways away from the building. I cannot see how this is "OK" with coastal health and the operations of the health services facilities along 10th ave? The entrance to emergency alone should have put the brakes on this project entirely.

Bike infrastructure good, using side streets for said infrastructure is great with that said interrupting access and operations of health care facilities shows the lack of logic when ramming through these projects.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Amazing driving down 10th this morning. Witnessed two seperate drop off's happening of limited mobility senior citizens, one on laurel, one on willow having to be dropped off a ways away from the building. I cannot see how this is "OK" with coastal health and the operations of the health services facilities along 10th ave? The entrance to emergency alone should have put the brakes on this project entirely.

Bike infrastructure good, using side streets for said infrastructure is great with that said interrupting access and operations of health care facilities shows the lack of logic when ramming through these projects.
And yet VCH, with their considerable weight, doesn't seem to be protesting very much. Maybe they know something you don't.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:

Aren't the 10th Avenue improvements still under construction? How is this disruptive interim stage any different from sewer/utility work or development-related construction?

Clearly, access to the hospital precinct for those with mobility limitations is critically important. The documents supporting this initiative couldn't be more clear about the inclusion of numerous on-street parking spots on 10th Avenue that will offer better accessibility for those with mobility limitations because they will be flush with the sidewalk and absent of a curb or the pathetic excuse for boulevard landscaping - gravel and mud ditches between the curb and sidewalk - that has been the norm for decades.

Let's talk numbers: for the Laurel to Willow block, there will be eight on-street parking spaces on 10th Avenue, located in front of the Arthritis Society over to the VGH Skincare pavilion. See PDF doc page76.

For the Willow to Heather block, there will be a dozen on-street parking spaces on 10th Avenue, located in front of the eye care center. See PDF doc page 77.

Here's the whole Council report with the approved (and under construction) improvements: http://council.vancouver.ca/20170516/documents/rr4.pdf

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:18 AM

10th Avenue Corridor Project - Health Precinct Upgrades

Ignore the date. The photos were taken Feb 7th, 2018

Oak and W 10th - Looking East

Laurel and W 10th - Looking West

Laurel and W 10th - Looking East

828 W 10th - Looking West

820 W 10th - Looking East

End of construction, 818 W 10th - Looking West

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure