HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
Here is a good article about our beautiful garage podiums.

https://austinonyourfeet.com/2018/01...build-parking/

According to a prominent local developer a good way to fix this is to, "have above ground parking count against allowable FAR."
That's not what he is saying at all. I'm not sure where your quote came from. He's saying that you could push developers to put parking underground by putting in a hight limit on the building which is the opposite of what most people here want.

Great point though from the writer of the article.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:37 PM

^The quote is from someone entirely different but I don't know him (although we all know of him) so I didn't want to put his name.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:52 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
That's not what he is saying at all. I'm not sure where your quote came from. He's saying that you could push developers to put parking underground by putting in a hight limit on the building which is the opposite of what most people here want.

Great point though from the writer of the article.
It's why the office buildings on S Lamar and elsewhere have below ground parking. Height limits.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
It's why the office buildings on S Lamar and elsewhere have below ground parking. Height limits.
I know that. That's how I summarized the article. My point is that the sentiment in this thread about this project is that the building should be taller. This is a solution that would have shortened this building even further.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I know that. That's how I summarized the article. My point is that the sentiment in this thread about this project is that the building should be taller. This is a solution that would have shortened this building even further.
I mean, I don't presume to know the general opinion of everyone in the forum, but I think most would like it to be taller and with less parking.

But if I'm being honest with myself, I'd sooner take a shorter, good-looking office building without a gigantic parking podium rather than have a 50-floor building with 22 floors of parking, or whatever such madness would be the matching ratio to what this has planned.

For example, 100 Congress has underground parking, and is only 22 floors tall. But I'd rather have something like that which looks good but might be shorter rather than another giant blue rectangle with a parking garage that could make even Dallas and Houston blush

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I mean, I don't presume to know the general opinion of everyone in the forum, but I think most would like it to be taller and with less parking.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
But if I'm being honest with myself, I'd sooner take a shorter, good-looking office building without a gigantic parking podium rather than have a 50-floor building with 22 floors of parking, or whatever such madness would be the matching ratio to what this has planned. For example, 100 Congress has underground parking, and is only 22 floors tall. But I'd rather have something like that which looks good but might be shorter rather than another giant blue rectangle with a parking garage that could make even Dallas and Houston blush
That's your preference. I really don't think most people here would be in favor of restricting high-rises to 300' in downtown in order to ensure developers are putting their garages below ground.

Changing the regulations so above ground parking counts against allowable FAR makes these projects worse investments. You might end up with buildings that you like more but you would have less overall development because you create office space projects that is less competitive with offices in other parts of the city because you have no parking. You could also discourage development of office space in favor of residential towers which is bad for the city. There is not a great answer here.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 11:05 PM

The reality to me is that if the tower height and square footage above the parking podiums stayed the same if all the parking was underground, we wouldn't even have any towers 600 ft and beyond. We'd be stuck at the 500' plateau, with a considerable amount of squatty buildings. The BoA building is one of the few that managed to incorporate the above ground parking into the whole of the design so that it is very difficult to even see there is above ground parking within the structure, except at night when it is more noticeable. I have a side entry garage at my house with windows that mimic the living space so you can't really tell there is a garage there. Choice of exterior and better disguise designing won't eliminate the debate about excessive parking or lack of parking downtown, but it would improve the aesthetics quite a bit. The BoA building is proof that it can be done.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Let's put all the downtown parking underground like they're doing with the Capitol Complex.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:13 AM

Regarding the Super Blocks conversation the other day I think these were the ones first referenced plus its an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORzsubQA_M

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 12:42 AM

The site plan application has officially been withdrawn due to the change in plans. A new site plan application is anticipated "in the near future". This one should move along faster than normal since the project is 100% leased. They already have the demo permit, so they won't have another go-round with the Historic Landmark Commission. But since it's a new project, they will probably have to get a density bonus from the Design Commission.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...57tbehNQ%3D%3D

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 9:12 AM
Meh

I hope the new site plan includes the elevations. When they changed the size and design of the Fairmont they never submitted a new site plan that showed the elevations for the new design which meant that we had to rely on an email for the building heights. The Four Seasons Residences was the same way.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:50 PM

HIGHLY recommend watching this discussion at the Urban Design Committee about the big parking podiums. It's about a different building but it's about the same type of parking issues discussed here: http://austintx.swagit.com/play/01222018-1373

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:18 AM
Meh

The layout plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...rado_PLANS.pdf

The spreadsheet file gives a construction timeline of May 1, 2019, to May 1, 2021.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The layout plans.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...rado_PLANS.pdf

The spreadsheet file gives a construction timeline of May 1, 2019, to May 1, 2021.
That makes me feel very old.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:59 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Let's hope it never breaks ground.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Let's hope it never breaks ground.
Fingers crossed!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:41 PM

Were there ever updated renderings released?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:51 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Were there ever updated renderings released?
Not yet. I wanted this one to be built at its original design and use, but now I can live without it. There are other vacant lots in the area where something can take its place.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 8:18 PM

The site plan for the office tower was filed today.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=624248

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:13 PM

A large file was attached to the site plan today. There isn't much new info. But there are 340,000 sq. ft. of office space, and there are no underground parking levels.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=624248

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin