HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:08 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Take pride, Kirjtc. You're among friends.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 3:20 AM

Newfoundland Highways

First off I'm going list off the primary inter-provincial highways linking the different regions of island.

Primary Routes:
Route 1 - T.C.H St. John's <-> Port aux Basques
Route 210 - Goobies <-> Marystown
Route 230 - Thorburn Lake <-> Bonavista
Route 320 - Gambo <-> New-Wes-Valley
Route 330 - Gander <-> New-Wes-Valley
Route 340 - Norte Dame <-> Twillingate
Route 360 - Bishops Falls <-> Harbour Brenton
Route 410 - Sheppardville to Fleur-de-Lys
Route 430 - Deer Lake <-> St. Anthony
Route 480 - Southwest Brook <-> Burgeo
Route 500 - Labrador City <-> Happy Valley - Goose Bay
Route 510 - Quebec Border (Blanc Sablon) <-> Happy Valley - Goose Bay *Not Yet Opened

Explanation of Route Numbering:

Newfoundland is divided into five areas based on different the regions of the province (West Coast=3, Labrador=5, etc..). Usually roads are assigned a 3 digit number; the first digit is the area number (indicating the roads location), the second is identifier number, and the third indicates if the road is a primary route (ends with 0) or a branch road (ends with 1-9). Branch roads are assigned numbers based off primary route they branch from, for example Route 432 is a branch from Route 430.

Exceptions to this plan are the Avalon Peninsula, where mostly two digit route numbers are used, the St. John's Metro area, where there are some single digit routes, and of course the TCH. A possible explanation for this is the Avalon is area 0 and signage just omits the zero. On the Avalon there are also some routes in the 100, and 200 ranges

**This is based on information I read years ago, and may be incorrect. Though looking at the route map it makes sense. If you have correct or updated information please post it.

Next post regional roads.....

Last edited by ConundrumNL; Nov 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:01 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Thanks for the clarfication kirjtc2 and ConundrumNL. I was basing my assumption of NB numbering merely on driver observation, and trying to compare the numbering system to one which I knew well (ie-NS). Having driven on the 1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 15, 16, and 17, they could pass as 100-series in NS (though in some parts of the 100-series system, that's not hard to do), and the 100, 102, 105 and 112 reminded me of NS trunks where it's a mix of urban arterial and inter-urban connector (ie- the old main highways before the "freeways" started popping up).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It would be nice if there was a coherent highway numbering system in Canada, like there is in the U.S.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:29 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Thanks for the clarfication kirjtc2 and ConundrumNL. I was basing my assumption of NB numbering merely on driver observation, and trying to compare the numbering system to one which I knew well (ie-NS). Having driven on the 1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 15, 16, and 17, they could pass as 100-series in NS (though in some parts of the 100-series system, that's not hard to do), and the 100, 102, 105 and 112 reminded me of NS trunks where it's a mix of urban arterial and inter-urban connector (ie- the old main highways before the "freeways" started popping up).
On the other hand, there are other routes like the 104 or 122 that would probably more remind you of the "brown" routes in NS.

There are some sections of 100-series in NS that slow to a crawl (Antigonish), but they're at least still bypasses per se. On the other hand, there are definitely portions of the "green" system in NB that still go through the middle of towns (Caraquet), and would be trunk routes in NS...3, 4, 10, 17, 11 along the Acadian Peninsula, maybe 8. On the other hand, the only NS 100-series route (that I've been on, at least) that is mostly non-controlled access is 105.

I'd say the comparison would go something like this (hope the formatting works):

NB PRIMARY.............| COLLECTOR.......| LOCAL.........|
NS 100-SERIES....| TRUNK ........| COLLECTOR.....| unsigned
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It would be nice if there was a coherent highway numbering system in Canada, like there is in the U.S.
A national highway system like the Interstates would be great, but I don't think it will happen, namely because of Canada's Constitution. The British North America Act (the primary document of Canada's Constitution) states that things like road construction, and railways are solely under the jurisdiction of the provinces (for the most part!). The Feds can provide funding though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_and_Undertakings

That being said a national system could still happen if all the provinces could agree on a numbering scheme and construction standards, but all I can say is good luck with that.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
A national highway system like the Interstates would be great, but I don't think it will happen, namely because of Canada's Constitution. The British North America Act (the primary document of Canada's Constitution) states that things like road construction, and railways are solely under the jurisdiction of the provinces (for the most part!). The Feds can provide funding though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_and_Undertakings

That being said a national system could still happen if all the provinces could agree on a numbering scheme and construction standards, but all I can say is good luck with that.
If I were to design it, here is what I would do:

1-4: Main interprovincial and transcontinental east-west highways:

1 - Trans-Canada Highway from Montreal to Vancouver, then Autoroute 40 and Route 138 along the North Shore of the St. Lawrence.

2 - Highway 401, Autoroute 20 and then the Trans-Canada Highway on to Halifax (or St. John's).

3 - Southern Alternate route: Crowsnest Highway and Highways 13/18/3. Could also extend to Thunder Bay, but there would be a gap in the route due to the US border and Lake of the Woods.

4 - Yellowhead route (Portage la Prairie to Prince Rupert).

5-99: Primary routes. There would be no real geographic system, but the following priority order:

a) Highways acting as continuation of 2di US Interstates would keep that number. That affects 5, 15, 29, (35?), (75?), 81, 87, 89, 91, 95 and 96.

b) Routes of historical importance should keep/regain their historical importance.

c) If that route is clearly the most important of provincial routes with that number, it should take that number if not yet used. For example, Vancouver Island should have 19 run the entire length.

d) Remaining routes should be designated with no real priority.

100-199: Secondary routes: These are generally found in remote areas. Numbering is the same as for 5-99.

200-999: Loop and spur routes. The last two digits would indicate the route it is a deviation of. These numbers CAN repeat.

First digit 2, 4, 6 or 8: Alternate route. It could be an urban beltway/bypass/downtown route (such as Highway 7 in Fredericton) or it could be an alternate to the main route.

First digit 3, 5, 7 or 9: Spur route. It could be a route that reaches into a city (such as the Ville-Marie Autoroute in Montreal or Highway 118 in Halifax), or a connector route to another primary or off-route community.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
On the other hand, there are other routes like the 104 or 122 that would probably more remind you of the "brown" routes in NS.

There are some sections of 100-series in NS that slow to a crawl (Antigonish), but they're at least still bypasses per se. On the other hand, there are definitely portions of the "green" system in NB that still go through the middle of towns (Caraquet), and would be trunk routes in NS...3, 4, 10, 17, 11 along the Acadian Peninsula, maybe 8. On the other hand, the only NS 100-series route (that I've been on, at least) that is mostly non-controlled access is 105.

I'd say the comparison would go something like this (hope the formatting works):

NB PRIMARY.............| COLLECTOR.......| LOCAL.........|
NS 100-SERIES....| TRUNK ........| COLLECTOR.....| unsigned
That comparison sounds pretty much bang on. I've never been on the 104 or 122 in NB (at least, not that I can recall). The 100-series in NS has come a long way. When the numbering system first came into play, it was far from a "freeway" or "bypass". Now however, with the exception of 105 as you said, it's mostly controlled access freeways, whether divided or not.

As for NS trunks, they tend to go through the heart of small and major towns on their way. That's why the 100, 102 and 105 in NB reminded me so much of NS Trunks. Here's the trunks and the major towns they go through (I'm not cross-referencing with population, so forgive my use of the word "major" in some of these cases).

Trunk 1
Bedford (starts)
Lower Sackville
Windsor
Wolfville
New Minas
Kentville
Kingston
Cornwallis
Yarmouth (ends at Ferry Terminal)

Trunk 2
Halifax (starts following Barrington St - Bedford Hwy)
Bedford
Truro
Springhill
Amherst (follows S. Albion St - LaPlanche St, ends at LaPlanche St Overpass of Hwy 104)

Trunk 3
Halifax (starts following St. Margaret's Bay Rd)
Timberlea
Chester
Lunenburg
Bridgewater
Yarmouth (ends at Starrs Rd/Main St intersection)

Trunk 4
Truro
Bible Hill
New Glasgow
Port Hawkesbury
Sydney River
Sydney
Glace Bay (ends at Union St/Main St intersection)

Trunk 6
Amherst (starts following Victoria St)
ends at Pictou Rotary (just outside town)

Trunk 7
Starts just outside Bedford
Dartmouth (following Windmill Rd, Alderny Dr, Prince Albert Dr, Main St)
Lake Echo
Porter's Lake
Ends at Intersection with Hwy 104 just outside Antigonish

Trunks 8, 10, 12, and 14 are connector trunks between Hwy 103 and 101, and don't seem to go through anything, though they start and end near "major" towns. Trunk 16 serves Guysborough County between Monastery and Larry's River, and, well, even calling Guysborough Town major would be stretching it. Trunk 19 is a similar story, just substitute "Inverness" where I said "Guysborough" before.

Trunk 22
Sydney (starts on George St, winds through Mira cottage country to get to Louisbourg where it ends)

Trunk 28
Sydney (following Victoria Rd)
New Waterford
Dominion
Glace Bay (follows Main St, and South St to end of street)

Trunk 30 is the Cabot Trail, Trunk 32 is a short trunk that mostly follows NW Arm Dr in Halifax from what I can gather, and Trunk 33 is another short trunk between Trunk 7 (Magazine Hill) and Hwy 101.

Collectors in NS are shorter (usually) versions of Trunks with even lower standards of design and maintenance (as scary as that sounds).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 2:10 AM

Quote:
This is meant to be an informative thread on the highway traffic situations in our region. I will be using three different measures for the maps, but only 2 for the tables. For the maps, I'll be using ADT (Average Daily Traffic which can show how high or low traffic can go with seasonal variations depending on when the count was taken), AADT (Average Annual Daily Traffic which is adjusted to account for seasonal variations and shows the average volume of traffic per day over an entire year), and AADT/lane (Average Annual Daily Traffic per Lane - this is one I'm using as a partial level of service measure...please note that this is not meant to be a complete LOS analysis as these take into account many other things such as pavement condition, topography, %trucks, etc). I'm simply going to post the maps and tables and stay out of the political stuff, as there is an abundance in every region.

I'll start this one with 100-series highways, and I plan to eventually do Trunk Highways and possibly even Collectors, though I'm not sure about that last one yet.

All statistics were taken from the book: Traffic Volumes Primary Highway System 1999-2008 by the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. All maps were created in Google Maps.

This thread will also be open to people posting similar things for highways in New Brunswick, PEI, and Newfoundland, though I will only be tackling Nova Scotia. I also ask, for simplicity sake, that maps use the same legend I will be using so we can have easy comparisons across the board.

That's the information/disclaimer post out of the way. Please be patient as I'm going to start the next post "NS 100-series higways" ...now!
Just wondering...where can you obtain this book?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 4:09 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Just wondering...where can you obtain this book?
From the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, it's in the "publications" section iirc. It cost me about $30-40 per book I think. They should be coming out with the 2000-2009 edition soon. I'm not sure what the release dates are, but when December comes to a close, so do the last counts, signal analyses, etc for the year. If you have any questions on a specific highway, road, or section, let me know and I'll see if I have it in my edition.

I'm currently going through the number crunching on the trunks when I have time, so they should show up sometime early in the new year hopefully.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Trunk 7
Starts just outside Bedford
Dartmouth (following Windmill Rd, Alderny Dr, Prince Albert Dr, Main St)
Lake Echo
Porter's Lake
Ends at Intersection with Hwy 104 just outside Antigonish
Actually Trunk 7 starts at Trunk 2 (Bedford Highway) here in Bedford. Its called the Dartmouth Road.

I'm not positive on this point but because of the proximity of Trunk 1 (two short stoplights away) I think Trunk 1 is extended to the intersection.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 3:00 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Actually Trunk 7 starts at Trunk 2 (Bedford Highway) here in Bedford. Its called the Dartmouth Road.

I'm not positive on this point but because of the proximity of Trunk 1 (two short stoplights away) I think Trunk 1 is extended to the intersection.
Ok, I knew about Dartmouth Rd being part of it, just wasn't sure of the boundaries of Bedford. Trunk 1 looks to start at the intersection of Trunk 1 and 2, where Bedford Hwy becomes Trunk 1 to Lower Sackville and Trunk 2 follows Rocky Lake Dr. Both Bing and Google show it this way.

The two trunks that I can't find labeled on either map are 32 and 33. I know a bit about their alignment by the description of their count locations, but I'd probably be a bit off on doing their maps. For 32, it seems to mostly follow NW Arm Dr between Main Ave (just north of Hwy 102) to Old Sambro Rd for a length of just under 5km. Trunk 33, all I know is it goes from Trunk 7 to Hwy 101 and crosses Trunk 2, again for a length of just under 5km. If any of you guys could confirm 32's alignment, and point out 33's alignment, it would be greatly appreciated for the next set of info.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 8:28 PM
Nashwaaksissy

32 is that segment of Northwest Arm Drive you mentioned, 33 is the Bedford Bypass.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Ok, I knew about Dartmouth Rd being part of it, just wasn't sure of the boundaries of Bedford. Trunk 1 looks to start at the intersection of Trunk 1 and 2, where Bedford Hwy becomes Trunk 1 to Lower Sackville and Trunk 2 follows Rocky Lake Dr. Both Bing and Google show it this way.

The two trunks that I can't find labeled on either map are 32 and 33. I know a bit about their alignment by the description of their count locations, but I'd probably be a bit off on doing their maps. For 32, it seems to mostly follow NW Arm Dr between Main Ave (just north of Hwy 102) to Old Sambro Rd for a length of just under 5km. Trunk 33, all I know is it goes from Trunk 7 to Hwy 101 and crosses Trunk 2, again for a length of just under 5km. If any of you guys could confirm 32's alignment, and point out 33's alignment, it would be greatly appreciated for the next set of info.
Bedford's official boundaries are actually very interesting. Officially we stretch from the end of Windmill Road in Dartmouth (where it becomes Magazine Hill) to the Bi-Hi (Hwy 102). Where the 2 and 7 meet is one of the main intersections in town and for a long time was the heart of the town. In one form or another that intersections been around for 200 years (if not longer).

Trunk 32 is the entire length of Northwest Arm Drive (Main Ave @ Dunbrack St to Old Sambro Road in Spryfield).

Trunk 33 is as kirjtc2 pointed out the Bedford Bypass. All maps I've ever seen list it as Highway 101 (probably for simplicity reasons since it is what you end up on or off of depending on direction).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 3:17 PM
Nashwaaksissy

I think that whole area goes like this:

(credit: me and Google Earth)

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 6:01 PM

^Yep you nailed it.

I really think to alleviate traffic problems on Dartmouth Road (7) they should have a full diamond interchange at Trunk 2 and Trunk 33.

Of course Parker's Brook and the rail line could be a problem for building the ramps but in about 4 years when BJH is closed down a half diamond could be done easily (northside ramps only). Even a half interchnage could get traffic off of the Bedford Highway and with the Bedford Commons ever so slowly being developed the traffic will only get worst.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 8:08 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Perfect, thanks guys.

kirjtc2, yeah, that's why I was confused. It was labeled as Hwy 101 on both online maps I tried.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 1:44 AM

One thing I don't like in Nova Scotia: their exits are sequentially (and often confusingly) numbered, not in kilometre-post. IMO, they should all be changed - some of them are downright confusing (1D before 1A? 13A, 13, 14, 14A?)

For example, on Highway 102, they should be changed to the following:

Exit 0 (Joseph Howe Drive) - Exit 1 (southbound)
Exit 1D (Northwest Arm Drive) - Exit 2
Exit 1A (Highway 103) - Exit 3
Exit 2A (Bayers Lake/Lacewood Drive) - Exit 5
Exit 2 (Kearney Lake Road) - Exit 9
Exits 3A/B (Route 213/Hammonds Plains Road) - Exits 14A/B
Exits 4A/B (Trunk 1/Highway 101) - Exits 17A/B
Exit 4C (Glendale Connector) - Exit 19
Exit 5 (Trunk 2, Waverley) - Exit 25
unnumbered (Highway 118) - Exit 26 (southbound)
Exit 5A (Route 212) - Exit 33
Exit 6 (Halifax Int'l Airport) - Exit 36
Exit 7 (Trunk 2, Enfield) - Exit 41
Exit 8 (Route 214) - Exit 48
Exit 9 (Trunk 14) - Exit 59
Exit 10 (Route 215) - Exit 66
Exit 11 (Trunk 2, Stewiacke) - Exit 72
Exit 12 (Route 289) - Exit 85
Exit 13A (Millbrook Connector) - Exit 96
Exit 13 (Truro Heights Connector) - Exit 99
Exit 14 (Trunk 2/Route 236) - Exit 101
Exit 14A (Trunk 2/Onslow) - Exit 102 (northbound)
Exit 15 (Highway 104) - Exits 103A/B

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 2:26 AM

^I would go further and change the A's and B's to the directionality (north, south, east, and west).

So for example Exit 4A/B would become Exit 17N/S.

One project they really need to do soon is widening the Bi-Hi by the airport. The three lane section northbound (from Halifax) is great but the other direction is just horrible for overcrowdedness. The airport on-ramp lane should be extended right to the Miller Lake exchange (Hwy 118). It would become three lanes then (right lane for Hwy 102 traffic, left lane for Hwy 118 traffic and the middle lane would split).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 3:08 AM
Nashwaaksissy

eternallyme: It makes more sense, and other places are seeing the light. Maine switched from the sequential exit numbers to the milepost system about 5 years ago. And the way NS adds random letters (I remember our family getting lost once when I was little because the map said exit 1 but the sign said 1D) makes it even more confusing.

Can anyone explain all those weird letter suffixes at the 1/101/102 interchange? If there's an "Exit ##K" anywhere else in North America, I'd be shocked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces