HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:53 PM
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver/Waterloo
Posts: 563
Sometimes I can't help but wonder why it is so darn hard to deal with small towns along major (not just continental) highways.

Before
"Build the bypass because we don't want trucks on streets where our kids are playing." "Build an interchange, not just lights. Lights kill just like 1/16 near Portage La Prairie."

After
"Yo our local economy is suffering. Darn you who built the bypass and interchanges."

__________________
Highway expansion (especially going from undivided 2 lanes to divided 4 lanes), practically speaking, is all about political will, not AADT.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:24 AM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Sometimes I can't help but wonder why it is so darn hard to deal with small towns along major (not just continental) highways.

Before
"Build the bypass because we don't want trucks on streets where our kids are playing." "Build an interchange, not just lights. Lights kill just like 1/16 near Portage La Prairie."

After
"Yo our local economy is suffering. Darn you who built the bypass and interchanges."

It was noted when they built the access in the 1990s? That it was to be temporary, now granted temporary was 20 odd years but hey they got around to it. Yea it sucks that you have to drive farther, yes emergency vehicles are going take a little longer (which every second counts) but the merge distance by which you require is no longer there if you add the access back. But how many people wee it that way. Some, this will likely never happen as the town is supplied by a more than adequate overpass. And the town of Balgonie will grow towards it.

It will sting some but likely never change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:27 AM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Balgonie is getting a massive benefit from this project. They have their own 100 million dollar interchange. Did they even contribute a nickel of local taxes to that? It is a freeway. Access must be limited.
$100M not likely $35-40 at most but the point is still valid, and yes their tax dollars funded it. They also got a lot of local upgrades in lieu of the lost access and council has accepted them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:36 AM
Dengler Avenue Dengler Avenue is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver/Waterloo
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
It was noted when they built the access in the 1990s? That it was to be temporary, now granted temporary was 20 odd years but hey they got around to it. Yea it sucks that you have to drive farther, yes emergency vehicles are going take a little longer (which every second counts) but the merge distance by which you require is no longer there if you add the access back. But how many people wee it that way. Some, this will likely never happen as the town is supplied by a more than adequate overpass. And the town of Balgonie will grow towards it.

It will sting some but likely never change.
Now that you brought it up, I wonder if it were possible (in hindsight) to erect signs to ban turns off TCH onto Main Street and vice versa except for emergency vehicles. The pet peeve, though, is that RCMP basically needs to patrol that emergency access point 24/7 to make sure people don't take advantage of it.
__________________
Highway expansion (especially going from undivided 2 lanes to divided 4 lanes), practically speaking, is all about political will, not AADT.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:51 PM
HomerSPC's Avatar
HomerSPC HomerSPC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Now that you brought it up, I wonder if it were possible (in hindsight) to erect signs to ban turns off TCH onto Main Street and vice versa except for emergency vehicles. The pet peeve, though, is that RCMP basically needs to patrol that emergency access point 24/7 to make sure people don't take advantage of it.
Give them the option, and people will just ignore the signs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted May 16, 2018, 6:03 PM
pappcam pappcam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Now that you brought it up, I wonder if it were possible (in hindsight) to erect signs to ban turns off TCH onto Main Street and vice versa except for emergency vehicles. The pet peeve, though, is that RCMP basically needs to patrol that emergency access point 24/7 to make sure people don't take advantage of it.
That's a terrible idea. People wanted safer limited access highways and they finally get them and it's still not good enough. People just love to complain.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:23 AM
jadeddog jadeddog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 17
Does anybody know what that MASSIVE hole by the west construction site is being used for? Is it really just being used for all the dirt required for the overpasses in that section of construction?

Whatever it's being used for, does anybody know what they are going to do with that hole afterwards? It is very, VERY big.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:07 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Does anybody know what that MASSIVE hole by the west construction site is being used for? Is it really just being used for all the dirt required for the overpasses in that section of construction?

Whatever it's being used for, does anybody know what they are going to do with that hole afterwards? It is very, VERY big.
I believe there are at least three massive borrow pits. There is one in the east one in the South and one in the northwest. They are still looking for future uses for these I believe. I believe they ask for some proposals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:35 PM
Festivus Festivus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I believe there are at least three massive borrow pits. There is one in the east one in the South and one in the northwest. They are still looking for future uses for these I believe. I believe they ask for some proposals.
The one by the WEst #1/Bypass intersection is directly adjacent to to the intersection, so I wonder how it could be used for anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:17 PM
sastaunik44 sastaunik44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
It sure would be nice if they increase the speed limit crossing east over the first bridge on the #1. Plus in the left hand lane there is a massive dip just after the bridge. If they even increased the speed to 90 it would help. I can see a lot of accidents happening there with the right hand lane closing. People are in a hurry to get across to the middle or outside lanes and with people doing 70 it creates a huge congestment
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:06 PM
Festivus Festivus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
It sure would be nice if they increase the speed limit crossing east over the first bridge on the #1. Plus in the left hand lane there is a massive dip just after the bridge. If they even increased the speed to 90 it would help. I can see a lot of accidents happening there with the right hand lane closing. People are in a hurry to get across to the middle or outside lanes and with people doing 70 it creates a huge congestment
Which intersection are you talking about?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:48 AM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sastaunik44 View Post
It sure would be nice if they increase the speed limit crossing east over the first bridge on the #1. Plus in the left hand lane there is a massive dip just after the bridge. If they even increased the speed to 90 it would help. I can see a lot of accidents happening there with the right hand lane closing. People are in a hurry to get across to the middle or outside lanes and with people doing 70 it creates a huge congestment
It's designed that speed because of the super elevation and the vertical curves. The speed of 90 is easily attainable but for safety 70 shall remain. However increasing the speed to 110 on the downslope would allow drivers more time to get to highway speed as there are some people who are afraid to accelerate till they see the faster sign. I really with there was a sign that said accelerate to 110 as soon as you cross the bridge.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:56 PM
sastaunik44 sastaunik44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
It's designed that speed because of the super elevation and the vertical curves. The speed of 90 is easily attainable but for safety 70 shall remain. However increasing the speed to 110 on the downslope would allow drivers more time to get to highway speed as there are some people who are afraid to accelerate till they see the faster sign. I really with there was a sign that said accelerate to 110 as soon as you cross the bridge.
That would make sense. Right now you have someone doing 70 I n the left lane and 120 in the right lane and cars cutting in and out and crossing the solid white lines, its amazing there hasn't been an accident yet
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.