HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:32 PM

Looks to me that Yuma is the one out of the way.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ That doesn't really tell the whole story.

There used to be a "Phoenix West" line between Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and Yuma (Wellton), but Amtrak was the last customer using it. The line was sabotaged by a lone-wolf terrorist in the middle of the desert causing the crash of the Sunset Limited. UP abandoned it leaving Phoenix a spur for the last 20 years.

The remoteness of the line makes providing security around it difficult, although the terrorist was dedicated enough to do the job with his working knowledge of track circuits.
Amtrak could kill Maricopa and follow exsist it lines north through chandler Tempe and Phoenix then out the west valley and back to Yuma.

What doesn’t make sense is keeping a stop on a town like Maricopa and passing right by one of the larger metro regions in the country

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:30 PM
'Sunny'

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
^ That doesn't really tell the whole story.

There used to be a "Phoenix West" line between Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and Yuma (Wellton), but Amtrak was the last customer using it. The line was sabotaged by a lone-wolf terrorist in the middle of the desert causing the crash of the Sunset Limited. UP abandoned it leaving Phoenix a spur for the last 20 years.

The remoteness of the line makes providing security around it difficult, although the terrorist was dedicated enough to do the job with his working knowledge of track circuits.
True but not true. If it was a high capacity line, that would not thwart the usage of the line, they would find a way to keep it operating, but because Phoenix did not have numbers high enough to support it, it was abandoned.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
True but not true. If it was a high capacity line, that would not thwart the usage of the line, they would find a way to keep it operating, but because Phoenix did not have numbers high enough to support it, it was abandoned.
I'm sure the numbers would be significantly different in today. It would be interesting if they were to do an actual study instead of going off of pre-1996 numbers.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:34 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I forget whether we were discussing the corner of Central & Camelback in this thread or another, but I noticed this morning that workers were finally building the pedestrian path between the rail platforms and the corner. Actually, the path doesn't go quite to the corner. It emerges onto Central just south of the corner next to the bus stop there. It's nothing fancy -- just a path lined by palo verdes, but it offers a shorter walk for people transferring between bus and rail, not to mention those walking between the rail station and neighborhood destinations. It's supposed to be interim until the lot is developed, but I hope that whatever goes there permanently includes some sort of pedestrian corridor.
I just missed a train this morning. While waiting for the next one, I noticed that it's actually two paths that are being built. One is the path mentioned above. The other goes from the northwestern end of the rail platform to a location along Camelback a little bit west of the corner. It may not be feasible to build a path directly to the corner because of some water / irrigation infrastructure there, so instead there is a pair of paths, one to each of the intersecting arterial streets.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:11 AM

Koch Inc Waging War Against Transit

Normally, I don't give a rip about KochInc and their chicanery, but this anti-transit crap has got to end.

How the Koch Brothers Are Killing Public Transit Around the Country

Quote:
The Kochs’ opposition to transit spending stems from their longstanding free-market, libertarian philosophy. It also dovetails with their financial interests, which benefit from automobiles and highways.

One of the mainstay companies of Koch Industries, the Kochs’ conglomerate, is a major producer of gasoline and asphalt, and also makes seatbelts, tires and other automotive parts. Even as Americans for Prosperity opposes public investment in transit, it supports spending tax money on highways and roads.
Ugh.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:25 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Normally, I don't give a rip about KochInc and their chicanery, but this anti-transit crap has got to end.

How the Koch Brothers Are Killing Public Transit Around the Country

Ugh.
It's interesting that the author mentions Phoenix as an example of AFP's anti-transit influence. AFP opposed Proposition 104 back in 2015, but didn't put much effort into the campaign. Maybe they've scaled up their operations, explaining their success in Nashville. It may also be the case that Nashville was an easier target because it was poised to make the transition from no rail transit to a big investment in rail. Phoenix, on the other hand, was just building on its prior success with light rail.

I do wonder if AFP is somehow operating in the shadows with the current "4 Lane or No Train" movement that has put the South Central light rail extension in jeopardy. The public faces of the movement were originally concerned business owners, but since then political forces have transformed the movement into "No Train at All." By the way, there will be a special city council meeting on the South Central extension today at 3 PM. Show up and speak out if you have an opinion on the project.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:47 PM

The Koch's are the leftwing boogyman "billionaire with influence" just like Soros is fro the right wing.

Rich people that are politically motivated are going to use their influence.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's interesting that the author mentions Phoenix as an example of AFP's anti-transit influence. AFP opposed Proposition 104 back in 2015, but didn't put much effort into the campaign. Maybe they've scaled up their operations, explaining their success in Nashville. It may also be the case that Nashville was an easier target because it was poised to make the transition from no rail transit to a big investment in rail. Phoenix, on the other hand, was just building on its prior success with light rail.

I do wonder if AFP is somehow operating in the shadows with the current "4 Lane or No Train" movement that has put the South Central light rail extension in jeopardy. The public faces of the movement were originally concerned business owners, but since then political forces have transformed the movement into "No Train at All." By the way, there will be a special city council meeting on the South Central extension today at 3 PM. Show up and speak out if you have an opinion on the project.
I was planning on attending the special meeting today, but I won't be able to get off of work in time. Someone please keep us in the loop if you attend today. The supporting voices need to start speaking up and quit letting the opposition sound like they are the overwhelming majority, even though they are not

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:09 PM

Kinda sorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The Koch's are the leftwing boogyman "billionaire with influence" just like Soros is fro the right wing.

Rich people that are politically motivated are going to use their influence.
Rich people gonna rich, mos def. KochInc are definitely a bit like the Soros boogeyman, but in this case, they actually have a connection. Like I said, I normally don't give a rip about those weapons/fossil dudez, but this sort of infuriates me. Get the hell out of our transit talk. Dig uranium out of the Grand Canyon or somesuch. The reversal with Glendale has their markers all over it, and I'm suspicious about the South Phoenix "grassroots" push. Hopefully, these South Phoenix folks get an audience with the city, and then iron something out.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:06 PM
self-important urbanista

I'm watching the Transportation & Infrastructure Subcommittee right now on YouTube. Councilwoman Pastor just asked if BRT could be used on South Central instead of light rail. Ugh. My negative feelings about BRT aside, it's much too late to ask that question after the locally preferred alternatives analysis has been done years ago.

Note: This is not the special meeting about South Central light rail. That's coming up in an hour.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:08 PM

These people are idiots if they think light rail is going to be a net negative and busses are the answer to make it a positive.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:04 PM

Why are we spending billions and billions of dollars on a highly subsidized, antique form of transit when we are on the cusp of self-driving buses.....?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

why are we spending tens of thousands on cars when we're on the cusp of fully automated ride sharing?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:18 PM

The self driving car thing will take time before its fully adopted however it will severely change how we think of transpiration.

Still we will probably want trains or some other solution for high density areas.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 10:43 PM

OMG. Watching the special meeting. I am intent on getting DiCiccio voted out. He's an idiot.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
why are we spending tens of thousands on cars when we're on the cusp of fully automated ride sharing?
That's a personal choice. You have no choice what the moron's in City Hall end up voting to do....

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:57 AM

My response was sarcastic.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
OMG. Watching the special meeting. I am intent on getting DiCiccio voted out. He's an idiot.
Yup.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:58 AM
Skyriser

That guy would have never had a job if Phil Gordon didn't appoint him, the reasons for which I will never fully understand. His presence on the Council has been a disgrace and a shame on District 6.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest