HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:00 AM

So the emergency stairs at Sterling Lofts are being closed in with perforated sheet metal/mesh. It’s more solid than translucent so it’s not awful, but it’s def not the nicest. I can see why they wouldn’t want to spend money on glass because maybe omen day Dollarama gets developed, and something solid would need to be ventilated/heated.

With the planned mesh at Osborne Place I just really hope this doesn’t become a trend the city is ok with. Here it’s not as brutal as OP will be

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:19 AM

I don’t think the Richardsons own the Fairmont.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:38 AM

Looks like hotels you see in Chicago or NYC, love it!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:16 AM

The reno they did in St. Paul is really nice! The rooms are incredibly spacious with ridiculously high ceilings!

http://newsroom.hyatt.com/022615-Hya...for-Saint-Paul

https://m.hyatt.com/mt/stpaul.place....otel/home.html

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:50 AM
surely you agree with me

That’s very exciting. Another reason to open portage and main. That area is the next frontier.

Richardson’s don’t own the fsirmont anymore. I have heard they are considering some changes to their street presence.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:17 PM

The contract between the owner and the franchise would include specific work at specific intervals. For example, Year 8 - carpet change. Year 10 - room refresh. Etc.

I have a buddy that owns a local hotel that is under Marriott and he's coming up on a specified refresh point. You're always dumping money in.

Unless Fairmont has different rules.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:42 AM

New coffee shop in the Scott block lofts http://www.scottblocklofts.com/

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...485402781.html

Quote:
Coffee shop inspired by pubs of Scotland
Grey Owl combines camaraderie of a good pub with beans and brews from across the world
Movers and shakers By: Jill Wilson | Posted: 06/13/2018 7:00 PM

Grey Owl Coffee and Pub is named for Manitoba’s official bird, but the new downtown café/lounge has international inspirations.

While mulling over whether to get his doctorate in philosophy, owner Bryan Goertz moved to Britain, where he had friends.

While in the U.K., he decided to become a "computer nerd." Studying web design, he found himself spending a lot of time on his computer in cafés.

"I came to realize I didn’t want to be working on my laptop in coffee shops," the Winnipegger, 37, recalls. "I wanted to be working in the coffee shop."

Goertz was already passionate about java. He cut his teeth at Winnipeg’s Parlour Coffee and worked at Thom Bargen.

He saw his own venture being a bit different, however.

"We’re doing the third-wave coffee thing in Winnipeg quite well, but I didn’t want to do the austere, white thing," he says of the trendy, minimalist café esthetic. "I like it, but I’m not going to do it."

Instead, he turned to another U.K. inspiration: the pubs of Scotland.

"You can have a coffee house where conversations flow, but with a social lubricant, it’s so much better," he says.

He envisioned a marriage of coffee house and pub, with a cosy vibe that encouraged socializing but also allowed for customers who want to settle to work on their computers.

"It doesn’t have to be like Central Perk on Friends, with the comfy armchairs, but it should be comfortable."

Grey Owl’s general manager, Jessica Preachuk, a self-described "hospitality lifer," also lived in Scotland, so she shares his appreciation for the camaraderie of a good pub.

She also shares his love of coffee. Grey Owl will be a true multi-roaster shop, featuring revolving products from all over North America and beyond.

"We’ll always have at least one Canadian roaster represented," she says. "And we’ll have people behind the counter who can help you find what you like. If you like a certain flavour profile, we can recommend something you’ll enjoy."

Goertz also had a specific vision for the food. As someone with several dietary restrictions himself, he wanted a menu that didn’t just grudgingly accommodate them, but catered to them.

As such, it will feature lots of items that are vegan or vegetarian and gluten-free, but not in a way that feels manipulated.

"We will have soups, quinoa bowls... café food," Preachuk says of the planned menu, which will focus on light bites that can be packed up for takeout during the day and transition to shareables and small plates at night. (The evening menu has more meat options.)

Beverages will include beer, cider and a short list of classic cocktails. There will be a small wine list featuring some natural wines and, in what’s a first for Winnipeg, bone broth on tap, from local company Bones & Marrow.

Bone broth — essentially meat stock like your baba used to make — is huge in places like Brooklyn, N.Y., and Portland, Ore., where there are entire restaurants dedicated to serving up the flavourful stock with fancy add-ins such as ginger or kelp.

Because of Grey Owl’s downtown location — it’s on the main floor of the Scott Block, the century-old office building at 272 Main St. that has been converted to micro-suite lofts — Goertz and Preachuk predict and hope for a transition in the kinds of customers throughout the day, and plan to be open long hours.

Grey Owl Coffee & Pub is scheduled to open Friday, June 15. For hours and more information, email info@greyowlcoffee or call 204-951-1535.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:48 AM

Beautiful!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:22 AM
surely you agree with me

Wow. It’s the anti-parlour.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:32 PM

great stuff!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:00 PM

Huge fan of that. Owner is a nice guy, also.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 9:43 PM

Reminds me a bit of Langside Grocery (https://www.instagram.com/langsidegrocery/?hl=en), looks great. I much prefer this style over the minimalist white trend...those ones tend to feel a bit unwelcoming and definitely aren't as cozy during winter. This will be a great little hideaway when Main Street is windswept and looks like the Arctic tundra. I hope they put up a very visible and unique sign to draw some attention in the evenings when there isn't much foot traffic around there.

I also like my coffee shops licensed

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:31 PM

Hey look, really surprising news – the city doesn't have any money to maintain infrastructure being built in sprawling suburbs. Who woulda guessed?!

Quote:
South Winnipeg suburbs' amenities take hit in city, developer spat

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...485693631.html

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Huge fan of that. Owner is a nice guy, also.
Looks awesome. And they actually have a sign on the building, unlike the new Garry Street Coffee which is too cool for a sign apparently.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:30 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hey look, really surprising news – the city doesn't have any money to maintain infrastructure being built in sprawling suburbs. Who woulda guessed?!
I hear its because of the expense of opening portage and main and nothing to do with the half billion expansion of route 90 to support that sprawling suburb.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 9:20 PM

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I hear its because of the expense of opening portage and main and nothing to do with the half billion expansion of route 90 to support that sprawling suburb.
Yeah it's so inconsiderate that we spend a small drop money of money improving our most iconic and central intersection for human use, and build lanes so people can bike without dying. How will we continue to afford destroying neighbourhoods with half-baked expressways, overbuilt bridges, and $150m underpasses to save a select few people 3 minutes?!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah it's so inconsiderate that we spend a small drop money of money improving our most iconic and central intersection for human use, and build lanes so people can bike without dying. How will we continue to afford destroying neighbourhoods with half-baked expressways, overbuilt bridges, and $150m underpasses to save a select few people 3 minutes?!
In all honesty, Route 90 and Bishop Grandin needs to be redesigned to be proper free-flowing freeways within the city, of which would be a nightmare to design and construct. However, you have to keep in mind that the MAJORITY of Winnipeg's population lives out in the suburbs and that Route 90/Bishop is probably the top 2 (if not, then top 3) most used routes in the city.

Sorry to break it to you, but until we properly design our road infrastructure to be efficient then downtown developments will always take a back-seat to this car-centric city.

P.S: Sterling lofts is a SOLID redevelopment! They did a great job!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 1:45 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but until we properly design our road infrastructure to be efficient then downtown developments will always take a back-seat to this car-centric city.
That's how we got into this problem in the first place...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's how we got into this problem in the first place...
....and that's why we need a proper plan to deal with it now. We can't be living in our heads thinking that downtown is going to be this resurrected utopia without dealing with the major traffic problems happening in the suburbs.

And again, most people live in the suburbs in this city. You're committing political suicide by promising to redirect all funds into downtown. People will just straight-up not vote you in.

I personally believe that a balance can be achieved but you need to cater to the voters (read: drivers) to a significant extent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan