HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 4:55 PM
Kegger Kegger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Acre 21 has it temporary web page up that confirms Save-On is a tenant. I am not sure what the second Co-op location is? It seems too large to be just a car wash. The Co-op gas bar is in the west corner and already has 2 buildings.

You can see the new bypass u/c in the lower right and Green Falls Landing directly west. This will also includes 25k sf of retail on the main floor.

http://www.acre21.ca/

http://www.reveraliving.com/about-re...-falls-landing
I am willing to bet that the second Co-Op location would be one of the new private liquor stores. One of which is supposed to be in that end of town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 5:47 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I am willing to bet that the second Co-Op location would be one of the new private liquor stores. One of which is supposed to be in that end of town.
I never thought of that. Sounds like a good bet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:41 PM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I never thought of that. Sounds like a good bet.
But they have to win the bid first. Half of the shortlisted candidates are probably banking on that location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 7:07 PM
Treesplease Treesplease is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The acre21 site looks interesting. Is that whole corner going to be commercial eventually? ie. all the land directly SE that is between the bypass and the creek?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 7:39 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
The acre21 site looks interesting. Is that whole corner going to be commercial eventually? ie. all the land directly SE that is between the bypass and the creek?
The area between the creek and bypass is listed as mixed use on the SE Neighbourhood Plan. I doubt there would be any single family in there though. I believe it is still owned by Long Lake Investments. This company has owned a lot of land in the area. Edit: the parcel was indicated as owned on the last City draft plan by the City and by CHUKA CREEK DEVELOPERS LTD.

The parcel next to Arcola immediately SE of the Sterling Manor apartment complex is zoned medium density residential.

More info on Acre21 http://forsterprojects.com/assets/Ac...2016-09-27.pdf

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:45 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
I am willing to bet that the second Co-Op location would be one of the new private liquor stores. One of which is supposed to be in that end of town.
There will be 2 new liquor store permits for Regina - one for the Broad St SLGA conversion; and 1 for another location in Regina.

None of the documents that I can find specify the east-end as an underserved area... though the fact that Quance is the busiest SLGA store in the province does tend to imply there's strong demand.

I only question the southeast location because Emerald Park/White City will also be getting a private store. Add to this the fact that current Off-Sales (e.g. Birminghams & 4Seasons) will operate under the same retail store permit as all other liquor retailers (including private stores and government ones)... so the southeast should be well-served even without a new liquor store in Acre21.

Not saying it a liquor store in Acre21 won't happen, just that the southeast should be better served than it currently is once the liquor retailing changes are fully implemented.
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 12:20 AM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
There will be 2 new liquor store permits for Regina - one for the Broad St SLGA conversion; and 1 for another location in Regina.

None of the documents that I can find specify the east-end as an underserved area... though the fact that Quance is the busiest SLGA store in the province does tend to imply there's strong demand.

I only question the southeast location because Emerald Park/White City will also be getting a private store. Add to this the fact that current Off-Sales (e.g. Birminghams & 4Seasons) will operate under the same retail store permit as all other liquor retailers (including private stores and government ones)... so the southeast should be well-served even without a new liquor store in Acre21.

Not saying it a liquor store in Acre21 won't happen, just that the southeast should be better served than it currently is once the liquor retailing changes are fully implemented.
I have personal knowledge that there are a lot of big drinkers in the SE
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 1:09 AM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I have personal knowledge that there are a lot of big drinkers in the SE
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 9:01 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
But they have to win the bid first. Half of the shortlisted candidates are probably banking on that location.
Co-op didn't win any of the bids in major markets, so this 2nd site at Acre 21 won't be a Co-op Liquor (Co-ops did get 14 smaller market locations, though).

Sobeys looks to be the big winner in cities: Regina, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Emerald Park, Yorkton, Melville, Kindersley, Battleford, Tisdale.

Regina & Saskatoon are also each getting a Metro Liquor, and Stoon is getting a Liquor Depot.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...n-saskatchewan
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 9:59 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
So are any SLGA stores in Regina closing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 10:28 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
So are any SLGA stores in Regina closing?
No Regina stores are closing, but Broad St will be converted to private (so, either Sobeys or Metro). The RFP doesn't require the new owner to remain in the existing building, but does require it to serve the same general geographic area... so they'll either stay in the current building, or find another downtown location.

(if you're asking if any new closures/conversion were announced - no, this list of 40 SLGA locations are still the only ones being converted to private). 20th St W & Market Mall in Stoon are also being converted (which explains why Stoon has 3 new private operators while Regina only has 2: both cities are net 1 more store, but Stoon has 2 SLGA stores that are being converted, whereas Regina only has 1 store being converted)).
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 10:51 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
No Regina stores are closing, but Broad St will be converted to private (so, either Sobeys or Metro). The RFP doesn't require the new owner to remain in the existing building, but does require it to serve the same general geographic area... so they'll either stay in the current building, or find another downtown location.

(if you're asking if any new closures/conversion were announced - no, this list of 40 SLGA locations are still the only ones being converted to private). 20th St W & Market Mall in Stoon are also being converted (which explains why Stoon has 3 new private operators while Regina only has 2: both cities are net 1 more store, but Stoon has 2 SLGA stores that are being converted, whereas Regina only has 1 store being converted)).
No surprise SLGA wants to dump Broad and 12th. It is a tiny and scary location. Lots of visibly intoxicated patrons. It is the only one that closes at 6pm (for security reasons).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:33 AM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
No Regina stores are closing, but Broad St will be converted to private (so, either Sobeys or Metro). The RFP doesn't require the new owner to remain in the existing building, but does require it to serve the same general geographic area... so they'll either stay in the current building, or find another downtown location.
It is my understanding that the contract was amended and the geographic restriction was removed. The Broad St. location is going to close and I wouldn't bet on anything near downtown opening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:37 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
It is my understanding that the contract was amended and the geographic restriction was removed. The Broad St. location is going to close and I wouldn't bet on anything near downtown opening.
SLGA doesn't explicitly say that in their news releases, but it's implied in the RFP process document issued on July 7, 2016.

Interesting. It seems quite clear that one store will go in the east, wonder where the other area will be. SLGA did evaluate site proposal during the RFP, so one would expect it'll still be a location in Regina that SLGA considers to be 'underserved.' I guess extreme NW could be in the running.
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 1:15 AM
BrutallyDishonest2 BrutallyDishonest2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
SLGA doesn't explicitly say that in their news releases, but it's implied in the RFP process document issued on July 7, 2016.

Interesting. It seems quite clear that one store will go in the east, wonder where the other area will be. SLGA did evaluate site proposal during the RFP, so one would expect it'll still be a location in Regina that SLGA considers to be 'underserved.' I guess extreme NW could be in the running.
I think they still have to be operational in 18 mo which I think kills the extreme NW.

It'll be interesting how the rules ultimately play out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 10:56 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
I was in Edmonton recently and noticed that Loblaw had done the same type of box build-out at its Edmonton South Common store as they have done in Regina. The startling thing is that the buildings were completed but were 100% vacant in contrast to the Regina projects that are virtually 100% leased.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:17 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I think they still have to be operational in 18 mo which I think kills the extreme NW.

It'll be interesting how the rules ultimately play out.
Yeah - I thought about this after I posted. Hard to think of a place that's truly underserviced, looking at SLGA, the 2 existing private stores, and assuming 1 private store goes in the SE. Downtown actually strikes me as an underserviced market. No that out-of-town visitors are the target, but my colleagues are always surprised that we don't have a decent liquor store in the downtown core (some have ventured to the Broad location & warn others again such a trek). They end up going to Amy's Winehouse or Beer Bros' offsales... Amy's is overpriced, and BeerBros requires a food purchase.

A niche store in the downtown core might work well - the downtown crowd could be a perfect target market for niche products (not you high-volume, mass-market products like MolsonCoors, E&J Gallo, Constallation, Diageo, etc) - think of deVine Wines & Spirits or Vine Arts in downtown Edmonton & Calgary, respectively.

Assuming Sobeys goes in the east, that means Metro Liquor got the Broad Street SLGA... Metro's website sure doesn't mention anything from the major breweries (no MolsonCoors, AB-InBev, etc). I'm not a wine guy, but I don't see very many of the major brands. Maybe they are looking at a niche store downtown.

====
EDIT: scratch that. I stuck around their main page for a few seconds & see many major labels on their splash images... they just don't list them in their online catalogue.
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 4:37 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is offline
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,299
^ Yeah, I thought the same thing regarding downtown actually being the most "underserviced" area of the city. Not sure where they'd really locate though... They could possibly take the Michi space and pull in the Amy's Winehouse since they likely wouldn't be able to compete on price, or perhaps one of the still open spaces in the Ag building on Hamilton. Can't really think of any other sizable vacant storefronts (if downtown was actually their aim, which as others have mentioned, is somewhat doubtful).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:36 PM
Drofmab's Avatar
Drofmab Drofmab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
^ Yeah, I thought the same thing regarding downtown actually being the most "underserviced" area of the city. Not sure where they'd really locate though... They could possibly take the Michi space and pull in the Amy's Winehouse since they likely wouldn't be able to compete on price, or perhaps one of the still open spaces in the Ag building on Hamilton. Can't really think of any other sizable vacant storefronts (if downtown was actually their aim, which as others have mentioned, is somewhat doubtful).
Actually, Ag Place would likely work really well - they're trying to make that strip of Hamilton a destination.

Don't get me wrong, I still think a niche store is a tough sell in the best of markets - but if that's what they're thinking of, that block of Hamilton is probably the best bet.
__________________
@drofmab
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 7:36 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Actually, Ag Place would likely work really well - they're trying to make that strip of Hamilton a destination.

Don't get me wrong, I still think a niche store is a tough sell in the best of markets - but if that's what they're thinking of, that block of Hamilton is probably the best bet.
Don't know you work there? Sounds like wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.