HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 1:20 PM

Cool AUSTIN | Seven | 263 FT | 24 FLOORS | Complete

Showing up only in the cover blurb on In Fact Daily as of now - and I don't have a subscription. Anybody?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 7:42 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK
Showing up only in the cover blurb on In Fact Daily as of now - and I don't have a subscription. Anybody?
INTERESTING! Our city is getting an Insane amount of proposals... wow. I'll see if I can track down additional info on this. I'm hoping in 2 or 3 years that our city page at emporis is not full of 'orange' cancelled tower listings. Time will tell...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 8:39 PM

32-story condo may spring up downtown

Austin Business Journal - 2:40 PM CDT Thursdayby A.J. MistrettaStaff writer

In the latest move to transform the downtown skyline, a Dallas-based development company plans to build a 32-story condominium tower at the intersection of 7th Street and Rio Grande Avenue.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/st...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 8:52 PM
Austinite

Wow, amazing. Well CLB has a good Austin track record thus far, so I'm hopeful of this one. I like that CLB is taking the lead in preserving the local establishments. So where is this in relation to Katz's deli? Directly behind or catty-corner on Rio grande?

Yet another tower planned for the west-end!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 11:46 PM
Meh

CLB PARTNERS

DOWNTOWN AUSTIN
Condo high-rise could be Katz's Deli neighbor
CLB Partners plans 32-story project downtown at West Seventh and Rio Grande.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, October 19, 2006

CLB Partners plans to build a 32-story condominium high-rise at West Seventh and Rio Grande streets, extending the downtown residential development boom.

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...0downtown.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 3:34 AM
Meh

Here's a larger/closer rendering of it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 3:47 AM

The amount of proposals never ceases to amaze me, I like how these thirty story plus projects just pop up out of nowhere. What I like about this project is that the developer is keeping the local flavor in at ground level, while pushing for an edgy and bold design that will affect out skyline, and not just settle for a filler building.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 6:22 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK
In Fact Daily
Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thirty story condo planned for 7th and Rio Grande

Another high-rise residential development—this one stretching to 30 stories if developers get the density requested—is headed for Downtown Austin, at Seventh Street and Rio Grande.

Dallas-based CLB Partners will be partnering with land owner Mike McGinnis to develop the project, which will back up to the Ranch 616 restaurant. Attorney Steve Drenner, who represented the developers at last night’s Downtown Commission meeting, described the 400-foot tower as the right kind of urban infill for downtown. He compared the project, in scope and size, to the nearby Spring condo point tower.

Still in its conceptual design phase, the Seventh and Rio Grande project would start with ground-floor retail followed by four floors of garage space. Atop that would sit 25 floors of condominiums. The developers intend to dig into bedrock to provide two additional levels of underground parking for the project, which will feature 158 condo units.

CLB Partners is the developer of the Austin City Lofts. In Dallas, the group is known for its hip upscale loft projects on McKinney and Cedar Springs avenues. CLB Partners is also behind the 104-unit Bridges on the Park, which is under construction on Lee Barton Drive in South Austin incorporating the Paggi House. Units in the six-story condo project will start in the low $300,000s.

The Capitol Corridor for the Lamar Bridge clips the edge of the property, Drenner said. That’s one reason why the floor plates for the retail and parking garage will be slightly larger than the actual condominium tower, although it’s not quite a point tower.

Drenner described, at length, the developers’ desire to enhance the Ranch 616 restaurant next door, providing both parking and clientele for the restaurant. The project will relieve the restaurant of the tax burden of its parking lot that ended up costing $100 per space in property taxes each year, Drenner said.

CLB Partners originally proposed a waiver for 12-to-1 floor-to-area ratio. Drenner said it would only be necessary to seek 11-to-1 FAR. Questions on the project were few except for those that are offered on most projects: Teresa Ferguson of the Music Commission wanted to make sure the building, close to semi-open music venues like Opal Divine’s, was properly sound-proofed. Richard Halpin wanted to make sure the building was going to provide sustainable construction.

The Downtown Commission approved the project, with its waiver, unanimously

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 7:08 AM
Meh

^ So then it's only 30 floors, not 32. I'm surprised then to hear that it'll be 400 feet tall. I guess they're using that 400 foot mark as a ceiling, or "goal height" to achieve?

Anyway, this sounds like one of the more solid proposals that we've heard of in a while. The neighborhood is backing it, surrounding neighborhoods are backing it, it'll likely get approval from the city, as long as they can secure funding, (have fun with that LookingUp), and sell the units, it should be fine. And so far, I'm liking the design of it. Some of the other proposals lately have been a bit too bland. This has potentional.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 2:33 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
^ So then it's only 30 floors, not 32. I'm surprised then to hear that it'll be 400 feet tall. I guess they're using that 400 foot mark as a ceiling, or "goal height" to achieve?

Anyway, this sounds like one of the more solid proposals that we've heard of in a while. The neighborhood is backing it, surrounding neighborhoods are backing it, it'll likely get approval from the city, as long as they can secure funding, (have fun with that LookingUp), and sell the units, it should be fine. And so far, I'm liking the design of it. Some of the other proposals lately have been a bit too bland. This has potentional.
From the rendering, it would appear there is a fairly large crown comprised of what looks to be translucent paneling (backlit?), covering the mechanical penthouse, etc. This might place the height upwards of 400ft The photo containing the rendering appears to be taken from the upper floors of the Nakonah condo tower.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 2:55 PM
Endless Moments...

From the pics it looks to be on the west side of downtown, like the area of 360 and what not. I like the design, very nice.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 3:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

It's kinda interesting. Damn, I wish I had bought land in Austin 10 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 6:23 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas

No, it's actually 32 floors (according to CLB Partners)... With regards to the 400-ft. height, I'll have to check. Nonetheless, it's far too early in the entitlement phase to put any definates on the final design of this project.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 10:41 PM
Meh

^ Thanks.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 3:26 PM

An update on this project from this week's Naked City in the Austin Chronicle:

In other city-planning news, the Planning Commission declined to support zoning for a point tower on West Seventh Street Tuesday night. The 32-story tower, planned by CLB Partners on land owned by Mike McGinnis at Seventh and Rio Grande, was broadly supported by Downtown boosters but nixed by a couple of neighboring business owners and the Austin Woman's Club, which is located on San Antonio Street. The 400-foot-tall point-tower concept allowed CLB to put in two stories of underground parking and preserve 616 Ranch, which sits on the property. At the final vote, Planning Commission agreed to a less intense zoning that would allow a height of 120 feet. One analysis of the vote was that the staff recommendation and the commissioners clearly split over where high-density towers should begin and end Downtown. Should tall towers be allowed north of Sixth Street, especially in an area of historic homes? Or is Seventh, in this case, acceptable? Council will have the final say, probably at the end of January.

I liked this project. Maybe the Council will approve it in spite of the Planning Commission.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I liked this project. Maybe the Council will approve it in spite of the Planning Commission.
Unlikely. I can't remember a major case where the City Council went further out on the height/density limb than the PC recommended (it's always the opposite).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:48 PM
Meh

There's no way they'll meet that goal if they continue to suggest 120 foot tall buildings. I hope they do approve it. I don't see the big deal with that tower rising there, that close to those neigborhoods when you've got buildings like 300 West Sixth and the Chase Bank Tower just a few blocks away and the main bulk of downtown's density just a block or more away from that. It seems dumb to me.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 7:48 PM

I'll go out on a limb and place a bet that it does get approved. Didn't the council up the height limit beyond what was approved by the planning commission with Spring? I think there is a real appetite on the council (including the mayor of course) to increase downtown's vertical presence. Plus, other cities (Boston comes to mind) have proven that old/historic can sit next to new/tall very nicely.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:27 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Unlikely. I can't remember a major case where the City Council went further out on the height/density limb than the PC recommended (it's always the opposite).
Actually, regarding central Austin zoning change requests, if the City's decision differs from what the PC has recommended, it more than likely leans toward more density. There are many recent cases where the Council has rejected a lower density/height recommendation from the PC. Most notably, earlier this year, PC recommended that Spring not exceed 350' and Council approved the developers’ request for 400'.

With regards to this case, I see a bit of trouble ahead if CLB desides to push for 400’. Right now, today, I’d say that there are 3-4 council members (Cole, McCracken, Leffingwell and maybe Martinez) who would decide to keep (or lower) the PC’s density recommendation for this project – effectively killing it. Even at 120’, I don’t see a viable project here – especially because they’ll have to tear down Ranch 616. And all hell will break loose if they try to do that (see Las Manitas).

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Dec 14, 2006 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:30 PM
the air is great up here

I agree. Will Wynn will don his diplomat hat and do what it takes to get this thing hashed out and approved more or less as proposed. And rightfully so -- it adds greatly to the tax base with a very small footprint, brings hundreds more people downtown, and has broad support from everyone but a couple of shortsighted NIMBYs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin