HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 10:06 PM

HOUSTON | Dynamo Stadium

Thought I would start this one up since we have renderings.

http://www.khou.com/video/index.html?nvid=328757

HOUSTON—On the east side of downtown sits the future site of the new Dynamo stadium.

“We think it’s about an $80 to $85 million stadium. (It will have) 21,000 seats, but nothing fancy though. It’s very functional,” said Dynamo GM Oliver Luck.

Many say that the stadium will be functional enough to keep in Houston a championship team that has made noises about moving into the suburbs. It’s hoped it will be functional enough to keep the fans happy.

“It’s gonna be much more fan friendly in terms of concessions and restrooms and some of those things that we just don’t really have over at Robertson Stadium. Most importantly, it’s going to be much easier to get to in terms of the parking and access. A rail line will literally run right next to the stadium,” said Luck.

The new stadium is expected to encourage new development. When it’s finished, it’s expected to increase the property values of everything around it.

It’s reported that after the Dynamo moves in, that extra property tax money would kick $20 million into the project.

Reports indicate that the city is already in the game, but county commissioners still have to approve the deal.

“No one’s taxes are increased. It’s just taking the increased taxes, some of that money and allocating that to help build the stadium,” said Houston council member Peter Brown.

TSU will also pass along $2.5 million for the right to play its football games there, said TSU Athletic Director Charles McClelland.

“We’re gonna’ have our own locker rooms. We’re gonna share the sales for concessions, on ticket sales so it’s gonna’ be the home of the Texas Southern University fighting tigers,” said McClelland.

The players should take to the new field in the first part of 2011.

Renderings (look closely and you'll see the METRO train on the left)

From KHOU

______
New Renderings, June `09
]

Thesite is already cleared; on Texas, Dowling, Hutchens and Walker in the Warehouse Discrict.

Courtesy of Dynamo Board at BigSoccer

The rendering of the stadium looks like a space ship (UFO whatever you call it) and it will probaly light up the area; send property values up in the area as well.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Thanks ()_T for making a thread on this. The first rendering on Swamplot looks different from the rest, also does anyone thinks this will spark new developement like Discovery Green has?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:07 AM
H-town Baller

Yeah, good move. I think the stadium and its proximity to other development in the area will spur plenty of longterm discussion.

I was somewhat disappointed in the rendering, as it didn't really show much detail, but the location is pretty sweet, IMO.

Off topic: I didn't know Sherry Williams had switched over to Channel 11.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:54 AM
Ex Houstonian

I dont know, Minute Maid park really did nothing at all for the area. There were no new developments after it went in, there is still an old abondoned hotel across the street from it. Although, there was a new hotel that came due to the ballpark, I think its called Ballpark Inn or something like that. They just renovated an older 1960s building and made it look historic. Other than that though, Minute Maid Park did nothing for the area unfortunately.

I would love to see some better renderings of the stadium and is this for sure a go? Id love to see that shitty part of town get some interest in it. Who knows though, that stadium, when coupled with DG, the Convention Centre, Enron Field, and Toyota Center could make for a pretty bad ass reincarnation of the shittiest part of downtown. How many cities can boast a pro baseball field, basketball stadium, soccer stadium, bad ass park, rail lines, tons of vacant parking lots and land, and a huge convention center within about a 10 block area? Not many. Me thinks something huge could happen because all of this stuff being in that small of an area. Can I get a what what!?

I like how in the rendering that metro rail train is just floating on grass, lol Maglev anyone

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 6:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I dont know, Minute Maid park really did nothing at all for the area. There were no new developments after it went in, there is still an old abondoned hotel across the street from it. Although, there was a new hotel that came due to the ballpark, I think its called Ballpark Inn or something like that. They just renovated an older 1960s building and made it look historic. Other than that though, Minute Maid Park did nothing for the area unfortunately.

I would love to see some better renderings of the stadium and is this for sure a go? Id love to see that shitty part of town get some interest in it. Who knows though, that stadium, when coupled with DG, the Convention Centre, Enron Field, and Toyota Center could make for a pretty bad ass reincarnation of the shittiest part of downtown. How many cities can boast a pro baseball field, basketball stadium, soccer stadium, bad ass park, rail lines, tons of vacant parking lots and land, and a huge convention center within about a 10 block area? Not many. Me thinks something huge could happen because all of this stuff being in that small of an area. Can I get a what what!?

I like how in the rendering that metro rail train is just floating on grass, lol Maglev anyone

I think the stadium will spark some new developement. Discovery Green and Reliant Park has so why not this? Also the new rail line will run right next to the stadium, that will probaly help as well.

Last edited by HOUSTONIAN57; Feb 6, 2009 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 6:34 AM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
Did you read the rest of my post?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
^^^
Did you read the rest of my post?
Oh yeah, I read it, just really was'nt paying attention to your last two sentences in your 2nd paragraph.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Is Dynamo stadium on th Eve of being a done deal?

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com...done-deal/1977

Quote:
With the Houston Dynamo’s opening match of the CONCACAF Champions League’s knockout stage quickly approaching on February 24th, it’s time to take a quick look at what’s going on here in Houston.

The franchise made the move from San Jose to Houston, with the impression that it would be easier to obtain a stadium deal in Houston. With the Dynamo’s fourth season starting next month, the club still calls the rundown Robertson Stadium, located on the University of Houston campus in the Third Ward, home. Without rehashing the long, tortuous route the stadium process has taken, it appears that the Houston Dynamo will be starting the 2011 MLS season in a new stadium located on the eastern edge of Downtown Houston. This afternoon, Houston Dynamo CEO Oliver Luck made an appearance on the Ken Hoffman show on 1560 The Game. While Luck was primarily there to promote the Dynamo’s new $150 season ticket package and the $32 special for 4 tickets to the Dynamo’s game against Atlante on Wednesday February 24th. However, Hoffy asked Luck about the status of the stadium negotiations, Luck did not say a final deal had been forged, but nonchalantly and openly stated the team would be in a new downtown stadium in 2011. Gone were the caveats and spin of the past.

More importantly, Luck stated that an unnamed bank has agreed to involve itself in the financing of the Tax Increment Redevelopment Zone a/k/a TIRZ that is at the heart of the public funding associated with the potential stadium. Unlike the sporting palaces recently built for the Astros, Rockets, and Texans, the Dynamo stadium carries a projected cost of under $100 million with only a fraction of the cost coming from public sources. This means that instead of relying on local taxes, which would require a vote, to fund the stadium, the City of Houston and Harris County will provide funds through the TIRZ that will go towards infrastructure improvements. Little, if any, public money will be used on the actual stadium. While a deal has not been finalized, the fact that a bank has agreed to finance the TIRZ, despite the credit crunch and current economy, is an indication that the Dynamo, the City, and the County are on the eve of finalizing a stadium deal.

Speaking of the current economic situation, MLS and the Dynamo, as well as most of the other MLS teams, should be applauded for providing affordable season ticket packages.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 7:40 PM
Ex Houstonian

Good news, good news indeed. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:41 PM

New Dynamo stadium is done deal

From Khou...

Quote:
HOUSTON -- The Houston Dynamo are finally going to get their new stadium.

They cleared the final hurdle this week by getting funding from a Spanish bank based in Madrid.

The Dynamo is paying about $60 million toward the cost of the stadium.

The City of Houston and Harris County will pick up the rest of the tab.

The stadium will be built across Highway 59 from Minute Maid Park where the Houston Astros play.

It will seat 21,000 fans and will have around 35 suites.

The Dynamo say they hope to keep the average ticket price under $20.

Construction will begin in the fall and is expected to take about 18 months.

The Dynamo plan to play their season opener at the new stadium in 2011.
http://www.khou.com/topstories/stori....694b5ecd.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Great news!!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 10:06 PM
H-town Baller

Doesn't mention whether TSU will be an active participant in the facility.

Or did I miss it?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 12:05 AM

Here's another rendering of the Dynamo Stadium from Watteleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
Here's a screengrab of one of the renderings I was able to catch on the news this evening...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 12:46 AM
BANNED

Sorry im late but....

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:26 PM
FYHA

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6405166.html
Dynamo pushing ahead with stadium

May emerges as critical month to solidify plans

By BERNARDO FALLAS Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
May 3, 2009, 12:45AM

An artist’s rendering of the Dynamo’s proposed new downtown stadium.

Oliver Luck’s spacious 34th-floor corner office is cluttered with plans and renderings of what the Dynamo and their president envision Houston’s new soccer stadium will look like less than two years from now.

A slick, intimate, futuristic-looking building with orange accents. Sold out, of course.

Meanwhile, across downtown and just east of U.S. 59, a city-owned, six-block tract of land, the proposed site of the stadium, is flat and empty, awaiting a required archeological excavation to begin next week.

Indeed, after months of negotiations, the proposed stadium looks closer to reality, if only because of these and other subtle signs and developments. But not before deals are reached with two key players — the city of Houston and Harris County.

With that in mind and time against them, the Dynamo view this month as pivotal in their quest to go from a routine archeological dig to a bowl excavation and from renderings to the real thing — all the while staying on schedule and on budget.

“May is a make-or-break month,” Luck said. “In the sense that it is important we get into this building by 2011.

“To use a soccer analogy, we’re in extra time now.”

Targeting 2011

The Dynamo want to have the roughly $85 million, 22,000-seat stadium ready for opening day 2011. They envision an all-round two-level, all-seater venue with 34 suites, 86 concession point-of-sales, a 3,000 square-foot club level and a party deck on the southeast corner.

Plans also call for at least one canopy (west stands) and a stage (permanent or removable) on the south end. The field would be 13 feet below street level. The first seating level would be set on concrete, with aluminum for the upper level.

For it to be ready on schedule, work on the 16- to 18-month project would have to start no later than this fall.

For that to happen, Luck said, the team will need to complete its financing package agreement with the city and have the county, by way of Commissioners Court, vote in favor of contributing $10 million to the project (an amount similar to what the city would contribute) by joining the city’s East Downtown Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone, which includes the site.

“No one wants to commit until all the financing is lined up,” Luck said.

Dynamo ownership is willing to incur 75 percent (approximately $60 million) of the stadium cost, with the rest of the financing coming from the TIRZ ($20 million total) as well as federal tax credits and incentives. Another reason May is key.

“Some of these federal programs have deadlines, if you will,” Luck said.

A weak economy made it difficult for the Dynamo to secure financing, but it has yielded favorable conditions for building a stadium and keeping it on budget. Prices of commodities have gone down, and the construction industry is hungry for work.

City, check

The Dynamo could check the city off their to-do list this month. The city and team ownership have concurred the parties are close on most points. Getting the county on board might take longer. Though discussions are ongoing, there has been no signal from the county commissioners suggesting the issue will be added to Commissioners Court agenda any time soon.

Commissioners Court protocol dictates that formal proposals to participate in such projects must come from the commissioner whose precinct would be affected. The TIRZ — and the proposed stadium site — are mostly in County Commissioner El Franco Lee’s precinct, with a portion in Sylvia Garcia’s precinct.

Still, the Dynamo have reasons to remain confident.

Team ownership secured financing to cover what it hopes the city and the county will contribute to the project. BBVA Compass has agreed to loan the Dynamo the money and accept payments on most of that debt by the TIRZ.

And the Dynamo have expressed their desire to work with the county on a set of conditions set forth by Garcia and Lee.

Texas Southern University has expressed interest in investing in the project in exchange for the rights to use of the facility for its football team.

The city invested $15.5 million and swapped a parcel of land to secure the six-block tract of land near the corner of Texas and Dowling streets that would house the stadium.

“Our sense is that the project, the fact we’re investing a good bit of money at a time when a lot of companies aren’t, speaks for itself,” Luck said. “It should hopefully sway the city and the county to get this resolved.”

bernardo.fallas@chron.com

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC View Post

New Houston Stadium.
From SSC
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 1:43 AM
Administrator

^Saying where the pics are sourced from is no good. You must LINK to them please.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 2:27 AM

Im waiting for a link... I looked on Skyscrapercity and can't find those renderings.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 4:29 AM

"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 2:32 PM
Ya Dig!!

So I wonder where the person on SSC got that from. That looks good. I'd prefer a roof because this is Houston and summer in Houston? LOL. But this is the MLS and they don't have that type of money yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development