HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:01 PM

At least someone is getting something good out of this scheme: Personalized "I'm number 1" Jerseys for the politicians involved.
Ooh, and it looks like they all got ReAL scarves as well.

As long as politicians get free gifts for mishandling my money, I'm happy

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:59 PM
100 days to economic ruin

designs

I think these are on the thread somewhere, but here they are again.

Artist Renderings of the new RSL Stadium :: 2/9/2007

Any other new renderings out there?

Last edited by SmilingBob; Feb 9, 2007 at 6:34 PM. Reason: renderings

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 5:29 PM

No, hopefully now that we're moving on we will get some more renderings and specifics.

edit:Ooops, Suddenly they appear. Wow, this will be an exciting project to watch.I can see why Checketts wanted that particular spot. Same reason Gehry wanted Lehi. A nice big canvas to work with.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 9, 2007 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 7:30 PM

Thanks Wikipedia.

. . .

I like this aerial view the best. Thank goodness for wikipedia. I found this photo on the Rossetti Architect page, but couldn't copy it over.

I take it the big building on the North end is the hotel? Remember to draw the curtains closed if you stay there. Could be 8-10 stories?

Lots of green space and practice fields. This is supposed to have 12-16 soccer fields for community use. With all the changes taking place I wonder how that will play out.

Also looks like a lot of buildings around the stadium. Must be the additional $650 million worth of office, retail and misc. real estate projected by Checketts for this deal.

This will be an exciting development to watch.
I

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 8:37 PM

The big building in the picture is the LHM office building. Right in front of it towards the stadium is the movie theater. I don't think the Hotel and Broadcast studio are in the picture. If they are, they are small.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 8:51 PM

you are correct bob.. that building at the north end is the hotel/broadcast studio.. that rendering is old though, so I am sure a lot has changed...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 11:07 PM
Bring out the cranes...

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT]

I wonder what that building is on the north end there. I does look to be around 8-10 stories. But I'm not sure what it is. Also I notice that in the new renderings that building isn't there.

Whatever building that is I hope it gets build since Sandy really needs more taller buildings to add to their skyline.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 11:38 PM

like I said to bob, that building IS the hotel/broadcast studio.. but that is the first rendering that ever came out of the stadium back in 05. I am sure it looks different now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 5:17 PM

RSL Stadium planning

* Sandy officials expect to meet with the Governor's Office of Economic Development early next week to begin drafting contracts.
* The City Council will huddle Tuesday to discuss details of agreements with the state and RSL.
* The Planning Commission is scheduled to review - and could
approve - the stadium's preliminary site plan Thursday. A final site plan could be up for review as soon as March 15.
After final approval, construction can begin, perhaps in early spring.

* The city intends to review RSL's private financing and the securities the city will have for its investment. And officials will complete a study of the stadium's economic impact. All will be done before asking the City Council to sign off on a final deal.
* The Redevelopment Agency will create a Community Development Area (CDA) around the stadium site. The public will have an opportunity to comment on the CDA before it is finalized.
* Sandy plans to issue a $10 million bond three or four months before construction is completed - in mid-2008 - to pay for infrastructure around the stadium. The bond will be paid off with new property-tax revenue generated within the CDA. Another $5 million bond, completing Sandy's $15 million pledge to RSL, could be issued if the team boosts the stadium's property value by building a broadcast studio and hotel.
- Rosemary Winters

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 12:35 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Good for the Intermountain West

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
you are correct bob.. that building at the north end is the hotel/broadcast studio.. that rendering is old though, so I am sure a lot has changed...
Wrendog, ok I've read about the hotel/broadcast studio is at the north end. But, I'm having trouble placing it in my mind. What hotel are you refering to? Something like the Marriott Residence Inn, or did someone finally build an upscale hotel in Sandy? I thought Embassy Suites was still coming. They've only been rumored about the last 9 years.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think this is good just for Utah but the entire Intermountain West. Look at Boise, would they really be serious contenders for a D-NBA team if the Jazz weren't here and hadn't done summer camps in Boise? I think residents of several other states benefit from this too.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 12:41 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Wrendog, ok I've read about the hotel/broadcast studio is at the north end. But, I'm having trouble placing it in my mind. What hotel are you refering to? Something like the Marriott Residence Inn, or did someone finally build an upscale hotel in Sandy? I thought Embassy Suites was still coming. They've only been rumored about the last 9 years.

Thanks for the info.

I don't think this is good just for Utah but the entire Intermountain West. Look at Boise, would they really be serious contenders for a D-NBA team if the Jazz weren't here and hadn't done summer camps in Boise? I think residents of several other states benefit from this too.

The only Embassy Suites that is planning on getting build that I know of is the one down in P.G. and that is going to be 14-stories.

As for Sandy that Hotel is part of the stadium rendering. It hasn't been build yet. As far as I know there hasn't been any word on just what kind of a hotel RSL is going to get with their Stadium.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiLDing GuRL View Post
A sport has to start somewhere and I think in 10 or so years soccer is really going to take off and Utah is going to be really happy they were in on it from the begining.
I'll bet they said these same sorts of things 10 years ago when they started the MLS in places like Denver, Dallas, Columbus, Washington D.C., and NYC. Yet here we are in 2007 and still nobody cares about soccer in the U.S. and these cities are having a hard time selling tickets and getting people to care about the sport.

I'm glad for the development in Utah and hope it's successful, but I'm highly skeptical. I just don't see much of a market for soccer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 1:19 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'll bet they said these same sorts of things 10 years ago when they started the MLS in places like Denver, Dallas, Columbus, Washington D.C., and NYC. Yet here we are in 2007 and still nobody cares about soccer in the U.S. and these cities are having a hard time selling tickets and getting people to care about the sport.

I'm glad for the development in Utah and hope it's successful, but I'm highly skeptical. I just don't see much of a market for soccer.

That's not really all true. Sure MSL isn't big as of yet. But Soccer is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. Alot of people don't know about the sport or hear about it is because of all the other major sports out there such as NBA, NFL, ect. And I'm not saying those other sports are bad. But if there is a MSL game vs a NBA game on the same night showing at the same time in the same city then most people would go see the NBA game. That's just a exsample.

But if MSL isn't growing and no one cares about it then why did they expand to Salt Lake City and other cities? If there was a dieing sport out there I would have to say it would be the WNBA. Salt Lake had a WNBA team a few years back. But we ended up selling the team. WNBA will die out long before MSL will.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 12:52 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Parking is a big problem in Sandy

Proposed stadium isn't the only venue that needs spaces
By Amelia Nielson-Stowell
Deseret Morning News
SANDY — In the first City Council meeting since a Major League Soccer stadium was approved for construction in their city, Sandy officials wasted no time Tuesday night in planning for the future soccer mecca.
As the city begins rounds of meetings with the governor's office and Real team officials to finalize details of an inter-local agreement, the south Salt Lake Valley city is also working on parking around the stadium.
At the council's planning meeting Tuesday night, staff and council members discussed what to do about parking in the ever-growing entertainment corridor around 9400 South and State Street. In addition, Sandy's Planning Commission is expected to approve a preliminary site plan for the stadium Thursday night.
A state-approved plan will give the team $35 million of Salt Lake County's hotel-tax revenue for 20 years. The team will be permitted to use those dollars to purchase land and parking on the northwest corner of 9400 South and State Street. An original plan with the county called for the county to build a parking garage with 1,000 stalls for use by the South Towne Expo Center and Real Salt Lake.
But state agreements dictate that Real is now in charge of building parking, be it a garage or surface parking. The inter-local agreement between the team, city and state will include a guarantee that Real builds the stadium near South Towne.
"The parking is a huge issue, and they have to solve it," said Randy Sant, Sandy's economic development director. "They're asking us to help, and we're willing to help."
A parking committee — requested by Mayor Tom Dolan and made up of City Council and Planning Commission members, Real officials and state leaders — will start meeting to research what Sandy can do about short-term and long-term parking in the area. Sant said the city does not just have parking problems with Real and South Towne. BD Medical needs additional parking and Jordan Commons often needs more spaces on popular weekend nights.
So the committee will look at what the surrounding businesses need and study whether it's in the city's best interest to help fund a parking structure for the area that could have as many as 3,000 stalls.
"The bottom line is, when Real opens, there's plenty of room for people that want to park their cars. But we want to encourage people to use mass transit," Sant said.
For game days, Sandy is planning on organizing a free bus route. In addition, the city will help arrange parking for soccer fans at surrounding entities, such as Jordan High School or businesses that are not open during matches. Parking in residential streets will be prohibited.
Councilman Bryant Anderson brought up the idea of providing "objective material" to the public about what public money is being provided for the soccer stadium site.
"It's extremely evident to me that there is a gross misunderstanding about the funding of the stadium by the residents," he said. "Everyone I've talked to, when I've explained what's really going on, what's really happening, it's changed their position."
Sandy plans to use a tool of redevelopment-agency law, known as a Community Development Area, to redirect $10 million in property taxes for phase one of the $110 million stadium. That CDA dollar amount from the city could bump up to $15 million if Real expands to phase two of the stadium project, which includes a hotel and broadcast studio.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 1:32 PM

They shouldn't have built the Southtowne Expo Center without a parking garage...every time I've gone to an event down there, parking has been a big problem.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 1:16 PM

Sandy planners decline to OK a site plan for Real's stadium

Parking and traffic flow worry city officials; a panel is to study them

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell
Deseret Morning News
SANDY — The legislative fast-tracking of the planned Real Salt Lake soccer stadium hit a speed bump Thursday night.

An artist's rendering depicts the proposed Salt Lake Real soccer stadium. The 23,000-seat stadium is to be 111 feet tall and 524,766 square feet.

In a surprising vote, Sandy's planning commission held off approving a preliminary site plan for the stadium until parking concerns are addressed.
Parking and traffic flow are a big concern for commissioners, city council members and staff alike. At the urging of Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan, a special parking committee will start meeting soon to research what the Major League Soccer team can do to accommodate the 20,000 fans Real expects to come to the games.
Commissioners do not want to give the stadium site approval until that committee can come up with some solutions.
Chairman Bruce Steadman said other than that, commissioners are excited about the stadium and "comfortable" with plans.
"What everything seemed to come down to is for you to get a better grab on this parking issue. I think that's where the discussions need to go," he said.
The stadium would sit on the northwest corner of 9400 South and State Street — one of the city's busiest intersections. Restaurant and movie theater district Jordan Commons sits at one corner, the South Towne Expo Center at another. Both are tight on parking, and the city worries the stadium will exacerbate the problem.
A state-approved plan gives the team $35 million of hotel-tax revenue for land and parking at the stadium site. State agreements dictate Real is in charge of building that parking, be it a garage or surface lot. An interlocal agreement among the team, city and state will also include provisions that Real build the stadium near the South Towne Expo Center with at least 1,000 stalls.
A study done by Hales Engineering shows that 15-20 percent of soccer fans will come to games on mass transit. That leaves more than 4,000 cars that will need to park for 18 home games. The city is also weighing options to chip in on the stadium for the expanding entertainment district.
"We want it to be right from the beginning," Councilman Steve Smith said. "We also don't want it to negatively impact the other property owners in the area."
Real has brought up the idea of providing parking for game nights at other nearby lots, such as Jordan High School, but has yet to make those arrangements. In fact, the only public comment during the meeting was from a nearby business owner who was wondering if he could charge for game parking.
Architecture firm ASWN+ presented plans Thursday that show a 524,766-square-foot stadium with 23,000 seats that will be 111 feet tall with canopies meant to mitigate sound and light. It will include two driveways to access the property off of State Street and 9400 South and a road north of the stadium that will loop around the property to State Street.
The property is labeled as "undeveloped farm land" and is surrounded by numerous businesses and other residential properties. Real will eventually try to buy out those properties.
"They don't really want to go forward until they have cash in hand," Randy Sant, Sandy's economic development director, said Wednesday. Real has already purchased the large Ardell Brown RV location north of the property.
Other concerns raised by planning staff include height, operating hours and requirements that the final site plan include trails complying with the Sandy City Trails Master Plan.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 1:34 PM

Sandy
Real Salt Lake gets OK to ready site for stadium
Team executive says he expects demolition and grading to begin at the site in March

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 3:28 PM

lol.. so they got the OK or they didn't? what's going on?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 4:44 PM

Parking hiccup

Quote:
Sandy City still is a go with the project, but just because the funds have been allocated doesn't mean that RSL can do whatever they want. A MAJOR part of the government funding is for the parking, and Sandy City is going to push for as much parking as possible.

I hope they push for at least a 4 story parking structure with 1000 spaces on each level rather than a "gi-normous" parking lot. There should be more value in building a parking garage than a parking lot.

I know Checketts wants to build more than just a stadium, hotel and broadcast center. His original plan was a $650 million dollar retail/office project. He will need all the land he can get to build out the project as envisioned. I think the complete $650 million dollar project was also part of why the various governments were willing to push their portion through.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I know Wrendog, It's really interesting how the take and or headline and perspective can be so different when the it's on the same day,same topic but two different papers. Probably ought to include the entire TRIB> Article:

Sandy
Real Salt Lake gets OK to ready site for stadium
Team executive says he expects demolition and grading to begin at the site in March

By Rosemary Winters
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 02/16/2007 01:12:11 AM MST

SANDY - Planning commissioners gave Real Salt Lake the go-ahead Thursday to begin preparing its 29-acre site for a $110 million soccer stadium.
But the team will have to prove parking in the area is adequate before it can gain preliminary site-plan approval, a vote the commissioners tabled.
The decision came just one week after the Legislature rescued a public funding plan that channels $35 million in hotel taxes to the site.
To pay for infrastructure, Sandy also has pledged up to $15 million of property-tax increment generated by the project.
Earlier Thursday, city officials huddled with the Governor's Office of Economic Development and the team's chief executive Dean Howes to negotiate the details.
Sandy Economic Development Director Randy Sant expects to have a final agreement signed in the next 30 to 60 days.
The Planning Commission asked that the team's engineering consultant, Ryan Hales, participate in a committee with City Council members, planning commissioners and staff to create a parking management plan.
Although the stadium will have only 641 parking spots onsite, up to 5,000 cars could arrive at the venue for sold-out games and concerts.
But Hales said 9,100 parking stalls are within a 15-minute walk.
And some of the public funding is expected to pay for a parking structure at the nearby South Towne Expo Center.
RSL executive David Kerschner expects demolition and grading to begin at the site, 9256 S. State St., in March.
"We can't wait to get started," Kerschner said after the meeting.
The team is shooting for its first game in the stadium to be held July 4, 2008, but Kerschner acknowledged opening day could be delayed four or five weeks.
The team had planned to begin construction at the end of last year.
rwinters@sltrib.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West