HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
Need some help please! Fill in the blanks and the sites referencing the info

Total office space downtown:
U/C office space:
Proposed office space:

Thanks!
Data as of Q1 2018

Total urban office space: 12.4 Million SqFt
Total urban office space U/C: 730K SqFt

Percentage of metro office space being constructed in downtown: 730K / 1.9M = about 38%

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
Data as of Q1 2018

Total urban office space: 12.4 Million SqFt
Total urban office space U/C: 730K SqFt

Percentage of metro office space being constructed in downtown: 730K / 1.9M = about 38%

Don't know where you got those figures.

Cushman Wakefield's quarterly report for Q2 2018.... http://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/r...ffice-snapshot

Total downtown office space... 8.9 million sf
Total under construction in cbd.... apx 1million sf

Total Midtown office space... 4.5 million sf
Total under construction in MT... 350k+ sf

Total Metro Office space..... 38.6 million sf
Total under construction in 2Q... 1.6 million sf

Breakdown of all submarkets in 2018 and vacancy
Airport North 4,255,752 441,914 10.4%
Airport South 3,608,932 306,310 8.5%
Brentwood 5,606,745 554,013 9.7%
CBD 8,384,224 992,868 11.8%
Cool Springs 7,738,386 563,507 7.3%
Green Hills/West Nashville 1,947,648 46,188 2.4%
MetroCenter 1,871,717 140,034 7.5%
Midtown 4,486,554 218,235 4.9%
North Nashville 620,544 66,498 10.7%

Impending big projects breaking ground in 2018-19:
Asurion - 530K sf (CBD)
Broadwest - 430K sf (MT)
Nashville Yards Phase 1 - 480K sf (CBD)
One KVB - 490K sf (CBD)

Last edited by Texcitement; Aug 4, 2018 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
Don't know where you got those figures.
Got them from JLL's quarterly report. It seems all the big real estate firms' reports always vary a bit depending on how they define submarket borders and whatnot.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:56 PM

Deja vu soon to be only deja vu

Sitting here at lunch watching a trackhoe ripping down the Deja Vu stripclub building for the new office tower. I guess it won't be long before another tower crane goes up a block or so from my office. I exoect 3 or 4 more coming soon with the Division Street and 333 mentioned last week. Hey, fantastic box seat here!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:22 PM

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Sitting here at lunch watching a trackhoe ripping down the Deja Vu stripclub building for the new office tower. I guess it won't be long before another tower crane goes up a block or so from my office. I exoect 3 or 4 more coming soon with the Division Street and 333 mentioned last week. Hey, fantastic box seat here!
Can you take some pictures from your view, to share?

Last edited by Nashville; Aug 8, 2018 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Clarity

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 11:00 PM

Tony Giarratana's plans for a 60-story residential tower, exceeding ATT by more than 60', are coming together and appear to be heading to a groundbreaking early next year.

A land swap with the city for land he wants across from the main library downtown is being voted on by the Metro Council.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...ories-200.html

Last edited by Texcitement; Aug 8, 2018 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 12:15 AM
Nashville born and raised

New renderings for the Endeavor company's three tower development on the block bounded by McGavock and Demonbruen between 12th and 13th have been released. They give a better view of the 28 story apartment and 15 story hotel which are not currently scheduled to start yet. The 20 story office building will break ground within days or weeks as soon as they clean up the rubble from the former strip club.

From the west...the office building

And from the east....

This two blocks from a fourth Endeavor project on Broadway

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Tony Giarratana's plans for a 60-story residential tower, exceeding ATT by more than 60', are coming together and appear to be heading to a groundbreaking early next year.

A land swap with the city for land he wants across from the main library downtown is being voted on by the Metro Council.

It will be called the Paramount, 680+ft. tall. It will certainly impact the skyline as my sketch shows is possible. No official rendering has been released yet.

Just when you think it's going to be a slow news week.…

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:

Okay, I don't won't to get too excited about this just yet. Metro has a way of getting in the way when buildings exceed 30 stories in Nashville. So, I'm not going to explode with excitement over the prospect of a 60 story building right now. My hopes and dreams of that happening have been zapped too many times.

All that being said, lets say Tony gets the approval he's looking for with the land swap, will he have to request a height approval for that location? And, what are the real prospects that he'll be able to fund a 60 story residential tower? He wasn't able to pull together the funding for the 70 story mixed use Signature Tower he originally had planned for what is now the 40 story 505CST. Also, why would you build a 60 story residential tower with zero parking? Unless he plans on only selling to people who work in downtown that is just not reasonable to me. And, it might get in the way of him getting approval for the project. Nashville is not NYC. Even it they voted for a rail transit system it still wouldn't be reasonable. He probably needs to rethink that whole idea.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 2:17 PM

Interesting name choice, Paramount. For those of you who are non-natives, the Paramount Theatre was half a block west of Tony G's tower site. It was at
727 Church Street on what is now the site of the new federal courthouse. The Paramount was one of several long demolished theatres along the south side of Church Street. I remember them well. The Paramount, the Knickerbocker, the Tennessee and Loews Crescent.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:58 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Okay, I don't won't to get too excited about this just yet. Metro has a way of getting in the way when buildings exceed 30 stories in Nashville. So, I'm not going to explode with excitement over the prospect of a 60 story building right now. My hopes and dreams of that happening have been zapped too many times.

All that being said, lets say Tony gets the approval he's looking for with the land swap, will he have to request a height approval for that location? And, what are the real prospects that he'll be able to fund a 60 story residential tower? He wasn't able to pull together the funding for the 70 story mixed use Signature Tower he originally had planned for what is now the 40 story 505CST. Also, why would you build a 60 story residential tower with zero parking? Unless he plans on only selling to people who work in downtown that is just not reasonable to me. And, it might get in the way of him getting approval for the project. Nashville is not NYC. Even it they voted for a rail transit system it still wouldn't be reasonable. He probably needs to rethink that whole idea.
It doesn't have an attached parking garage, but it will have valet. So if you're thinking that the lack of a garage means residents will have to drive around the streets looking for parking everytime they come home, it doesn't. Residential buildings without attached parking are fairly common in other large cities, not just NYC.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
It doesn't have an attached parking garage, but it will have valet. So if you're thinking that the lack of a garage means residents will have to drive around the streets looking for parking everytime they come home, it doesn't. Residential buildings without attached parking are fairly common in other large cities, not just NYC.
I was thinking that before I was able to read his comments on the zero parking for the building. And, if he's able to convince people that valet parking is a viable option then that's fine.

You're right it is done in NYC as well as Chicago, Philly and Boston. I'm sure there are others as well. But alternatively he could still build an underground garage with the without ramps. I recently returned from NYC where I reserved parking for the entire weekend. The parking lot that I used happened to be set up with no ramps. I entered from the street into an area that was about two car lengths and at the end there were two car elevators. The parking attendant drives your car into one of the car elevators and parks your car on one of three levels below ground. I inadvertently left my phone in the car and went back to ask if I could retrieve it. The parking attendant walked me over to one of the car elevators and we went down to the second level and he walked me to my car. My car was parked on the lower rung of a car lift. So, there was a car above mine. There were about 10 of those lifts on the floor with about 5 other regular spaces along a wall. From what I could see through the window on the car elevator as we returned to the main level, the first floor was set up the same way. So, as an alternative he could still provide valet parking in the building without doing a garage with ramps.

Whatever he decides I just hope it doesn't cause Metro to pause and then come back and demand a solution to parking that he may not be prepared to do.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:

How is Nashville's public parking garage situation? Here in Norfolk I live in a building with zero parking(275 units) and my last building had zero parking(80 units). In fact, of the largest 10 apartment buildings downtown only two have parking under the building. We use public parking with residential parking permits. It works how well enough. I am assuming if Nashville has enough public parking in their garages yall could do there too?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
How is Nashville's public parking garage situation? Here in Norfolk I live in a building with zero parking(275 units) and my last building had zero parking(80 units). In fact, of the largest 10 apartment buildings downtown only two have parking under the building. We use public parking with residential parking permits. It works how well enough. I am assuming if Nashville has enough public parking in their garages yall could do there too?
How do you handle groceries?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 6:40 PM

Not to hijack this thread but Norfolk’s urban areas are really small compared to most city’s. The downtown is surrounded by water on all sides except on the west where the real sprawl begins. In addition, there are a high number of government buildings located there so land is at a premium.

DC/Baltimore and Richmond!

Last edited by guynvb; Aug 9, 2018 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Okay, I don't won't to get too excited about this just yet. Metro has a way of getting in the way when buildings exceed 30 stories in Nashville.
What evidence do you have of this? From what I've seen every developer who has requested a height or any other kind of variance has been given one.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:

Downtown has unlimited height restrictions. The governing factor is the FAA which apparently 'recommends' a lower height (750ish) due to one of the runways being lined up with downtown. This is all from discussions I have heard at coffee shop meetings, but supposedly you can go higher, you just can't get insurance. Private planes (like Taylor Swift's) can't get enough altitude soon enough to be safe, I was told by people who should know this stuff.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
I can't speak for Norfolk, but in the DC area I know people that use portable folding carts and others use wagons. I used to live on the 14th floor of a 16 story building in Alexandria, VA that had surface parking around the building. This was a 3-building complex with a massive number of people. People were very creative in transporting groceries and other items to their apartments. Most had some form of cart. Some used portable dollies with a box or laundry basket strapped to it with bungee cords. Some people used suitcases. Residents with toddlers would sometimes use their strollers. I even saw a guy using a belt that he fed through all the handles on the bags and then threw it over his shoulder. I used an expanding and collapsible rolling crate that I bought from Staples. I also kept a collapsible tote bag in my car that I would use if the crate could hold everything. I would just place the tote on top of everything that could fit in the crate. There was an convenience store in my building that had a about five shopping carts like you'd see at a grocery store. The store would loan them out to residents as well. But I also noticed one day while standing on my balcony that several of the units had grocery carts on them, so I can only assume that people "borrowed" them from nearby stores.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
What evidence do you have of this? From what I've seen every developer who has requested a height or any other kind of variance has been given one.
None. I was being sarcastic.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Great question. From the door of my garage to the door of my building it is about a 15 second walk across a really quiet st that has a lot of PED Xing signs. Would it be way more convieniet to have parking under the building, yes(YES!). But I think its a good compromise and shows a cities that isn't DC or NYC can build without parking because we already have so much, in Norfolk's case anyways.

But to me actually holding groceries I have reusable bags which seem to hold twice the amount of a plastic bag. It sucks, but yeah.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations