HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which CMA will reach 1 million first?
Quebec City 18 13.53%
Winnipeg 69 51.88%
Hamilton 35 26.32%
Other 11 8.27%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Malhereusement je manque due pratique avec mon français. Il n'y a pas assez de chances de l'utilisez dans ma vie quotidienne, mais ceci est un de les raisons je veux demenager au Montréal.
Pas mal du tout! Impressionnant, même. Cependant, j'ai l'impression qu'un francophone ayant investi le même nombre d'heures que toi dans l'autre langue officielle n'aurait pas fait autant d'erreurs. (Il y en a plusieurs; aucune n'est critique, mais elles sont quand même là.) Ce qui est justement ma position dans le mini-débat (hors-sujet, évidemment) qui a eu lieu dans ce fil, et que j'essaie de démontrer indirectement.

Case in point...

1) "je manque de pratique": in English, an ESL writer wouldn't even have had the possibility to mess up the indefinite article as you just did, because there isn't one in that case: "I lack practice".

2) "l'utilisez": Again, an ESL writer couldn't have had the opportunity to misconjugate that as you just did: in this context, "to use it" is the infinitive tense, plain and simple.

3) "est un de les raisons": Same thing - in English those don't take as many different possible forms, so there's less opportunity to mess things up. "one of the", and that's it.

4) "un raison" - there are no genders in English, so an ESL writer cannot possibly ever misgender a word like you just did.

5) "déménager au Montreal": in English, "to" never changes shape, so there's again no risk of using the incorrect version (as you did).

Interestingly, every one of your mistakes highlights complications of French that English doesn't have, helping support my point.

P.S. don't get me the wrong way, what you said was really impressively good. French isn't an easy language. You kinda bragged that it was, so, I feel it was fair game to point out the corrections.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada