HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 1:54 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
We are consistently just about the hottest place imaginable yet you never see anyone wear shorts to any job but the blue-est of blue color outdoor jobs. I work in a STEM field as well and you would never see anyone with shorts. We have showers though so people can bike to work in shorts and shower and change. Plus its always too cold inside most places in Miami anyway. We have to make up for the heat with having the AC blast at obnoxious levels.
You will see people wear shorts to go out to lunch in most places, especially outdoor seating. For dinner though shorts are pretty rare in restaurants (I guess it depends on the restaurant).
to be sure, it's infrequent that i wear shorts to work, usually if it's a half day and i'm going to do something, but i see it happen. i'm in environmental consulting/engineering and you're lucky if an environmental scientist is even wearing business casual, so it's not like a big civil consulting firm.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
I'll be glad to see the day all shorts disappear from the surface of this earth.
That's because you live in Montreal where it's a few degrees warmer than the surface of Titan. Shorts are a must during Houston summers..

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Can we all at least agree that socks and sandals is just unacceptable, always?
Yes.

Do people still wear Tevas or did that fad go away with the fanny pack?

Keep it simple, pair of flip flops will do.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

It's fairly rare but I have actually seen shorts in my workplace (a professional office), though primarily worn by those who work on the technical side of things and don't have to interact with other divisions / the public. Some of my friends who work at agencies or in the broader creative sector have pretty lax dress codes as well, particularly on Fridays during summer. This wouldn't fly in the financial industry though, and my best friend who's in a STEM field has a strict no shorts/jeans policy since many of those who work there would show up in shorts and a tshirt if they could.

I did actually wear shorts a few times when we were having a massive heat wave two years ago - work was extremely quiet given the time of year (no external meetings) and our office building went on "energy saving" mode. That means minimal a/c and half the lights off. Think 25C inside instead of the usual 20C or so (which in of itself is warmer than most American offices). We actually got an email saying that it was ok given the circumstances. Granted I still made sure I had a pair of pants just in case something came up where I'd need to meet with someone!

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 2:47 PM
video et taceo

Here in Scandinavia the trend has been to abandon the wearing of socks altogether, even when it's -10.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i guess you don't work in the north american STEM sector but we uh...don't have the highest standards for dressing at the office and i have actually worn shorts to work. it's an office where it's preferred you have an advanced degree (masters) so it's not not "professional."

i'm not saying it's ideal, we are the slobs of the white collar world. BAD!

it's kind of weird because we are in class A space sharing an office bldg with people dressed to courtroom standards.
I know - you can sometimes be the exception that confirms the rule. Perhaps over time you'll become "the rule" though. (Not all STEM workplaces are like that though, AFAIK.)

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 3:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Angus Young's AC/DC thing was a schoolboy's uniform, though (just an aside).
I know, but I've definitely seen pictures of Australian businessmen with a relatively snazzy "suit"-style getup where the pants were shorts. From the 60s or 70s...

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I know, but I've definitely seen pictures of Australian businessmen with a relatively snazzy "suit"-style getup where the pants were shorts. From the 60s or 70s...
Are you sure they were Australian? It sounds like another British related territory: Bermuda. Bermuda suit/shorts.

Last edited by AbortedWalrus; May 1, 2018 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That's because you live in Montreal where it's a few degrees warmer than the surface of Titan. Shorts are a must during Houston summers..
Worse than Bangkok? There, shorts are considered to exclusively for juveniles and tourists. I believe that line of thinking is common throughout SE Asia, which is interesting considering how hot and humid that region is.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:40 AM

^--- Yup! BK, KL, Singapore, HMC, Jakarta.... shorts are for school boys and that's it. Blue collar or white, adult men don't wear shorts in public settings.

This is how you can spot tourists from ex-pats immediately.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:54 AM

I wouldn't fit in on the east coast. I like all the fancy big buildings where there's cool plays and good music in them though. I don't think that's big over here, maybe in la and the sf.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:07 AM
The City

Milwaukee is becoming a challenger to New York’s dining scene

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Australia did dabble with the concept of office shorts in the 60s and 70s. But it was considered a dubious and oddball fashion choice even back then, limited to government workers and low level office clerks. No serious business or professional person would have done it. Nowadays, you definitely can’t wear shorts to the office. But you still come across other workers like bus drivers who do it (mostly older men in places like regional Queensland or the Northern Territory).

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 12:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commentariat View Post
Australia did dabble with the concept of office shorts in the 60s and 70s. But it was considered a dubious and oddball fashion choice even back then, limited to government workers and low level office clerks. No serious business or professional person would have done it. Nowadays, you definitely can’t wear shorts to the office. But you still come across other workers like bus drivers who do it (mostly older men in places like regional Queensland or the Northern Territory).
That's probably where I got that idea from. Thanks.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Milwaukee is becoming a challenger to New York’s dining scene
Don't forget Jacksonville... Do they wear shorts in amazingly tall-towered skyline impressive downtown Jacksonville though?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions