HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 4:22 AM

Last edited by Corndogger; May 22, 2018 at 4:48 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The federal government is at fault, not BC. All Horgan and Weaver need is a way to save face, which the feds could easily provide by citing the constitution. The feds need to provide out of province RCMP to arrest any and all protestors that violate the restraining order. The Trudeau government won’t do that for fear of loosing votes, probably more so in Quebec than in BC.
No this is 100% the fault of BC not Ottawa. It`s the BC government that is obstructing this pipeline despite all the legal challenges {including constitutional jurisdictional ones} that the TM has won repeatedly. If BC was not holding this up then this would not be an issue.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:04 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
No this is 100% the fault of BC not Ottawa. It`s the BC government that is obstructing this pipeline despite all the legal challenges {including constitutional jurisdictional ones} that the TM has won repeatedly. If BC was not holding this up then this would not be an issue.
What exactly has BC done? Like tangible things that have been written into parliament, not just words.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:08 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Notley pulls out of Western Canadian premiers meeting
And now BC is suing Alberta over its "turn off the taps" legislation.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
What exactly has BC done? Like tangible things that have been written into parliament, not just words.
Failure to enforce the restraining order against protestors

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Basically BC is engaging in a version of SLAPP, they know that can't win in court against the Feds but by dragging KML and the Feds into court they hope KML will just give up on the pipeline. It may not be illegal but it is certainly BC's fault for the impasse. Ironically BC is legislating anti-SLAPP laws to protect people against frivolous lawsuits by big corporations.

A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate, and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition.[1] Such lawsuits have been made illegal in many jurisdictions on the grounds that they impede freedom of speech.
The typical SLAPP plaintiff does not normally expect to win the lawsuit. The plaintiff's goals are accomplished if the defendant succumbs to fear, intimidation, mounting legal costs, or simple exhaustion and abandons the criticism.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:25 PM

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...gainst-alberta

So let me get this straight... first BC says they don't want AB oil traversing across their province and tries to stop the TM Pipeline Expansion, then AB threatens to stop flowing AB oil across BC, now BC decides to sue AB for threatening to stop sending oil.... if you search the dictionary and lookup the word hypocrite you will likely find a picture of John Horgan and George Heyman.

One step closer to the end of Confederation. Every province to look out for their own best interests, minority governments or not... Trudeau exemplifies a complete lack of leadership. Instead of being present in a time of crisis in western Canada, he instead attends an NYU graduation to provide a speech on what leadership means to the graduates.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:13 AM

Soooo, the BC NDP government is now suing the Alberta NDP government for NOT sending oil... WTF is going on?

This is really getting stupid now.

The federal Liberals really need to step in and end this now.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Soooo, the BC NDP government is now suing the Alberta NDP government for NOT sending oil... WTF is going on?

The federal Liberals really need to step in and end this now.
How?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:21 AM
DRINK

So if the bill passed here in Alberta, why haven't the taps been shut off yet? All threats, no bite. just like her one week ban on BC booze.

Pretty obvious she's just grandstanding and giving her colleague in BC the same chance to reciprocate. Both can act tough and convince their bases they are looking out for them. This isn't BC vs Alberta. It's the NDP vs the economy and common sense.

I can't wait for the UCP to kick the shit out of these losers.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
How?
Send in out of province RCMP to arrest and criminally convict all protestors who violate the restraining order. If any of those convicted are foreigners (i.e. on visas or visitors from visa exempt countries like the US), deport them and ban them from re-entry. Send the final bill to the BC government.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
So if the bill passed here in Alberta, why haven't the taps been shut off yet? All threats, no bite. just like her one week ban on BC booze.

Pretty obvious she's just grandstanding and giving her colleague in BC the same chance to reciprocate. Both can act tough and convince their bases they are looking out for them. This isn't BC vs Alberta. It's the NDP vs the economy and common sense.

Yeah I suspect it is all bark and no bite. Only the Feds can resolve this. That won't happen as Alberta and non-Laurentian dominated industries are expected to take one for the team on all issues. The Feds were all over resolving American duties on Bombardier products, which is laughable given how much less revenue was at stake.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:

I agree... I’ll go even further and say I can’t wait for the UCP to propose Alberta separate from the rest of the nipple sucking “Confederation”. AB has more in common, socially and economically, with the USA

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

I agree, disappointing move by BC! I'd have been more impressed if they'd told AB to shove their oil where they know, and use this opportunity to make a permanent one-time switch to renewables.

Notley was quoted today on CBC with my thoughts exactly: "they don't want our oil passing through, but at the same time they're about to sue us to make sure we continue to send AB oil to BC?!?"

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Send in out of province RCMP to arrest and criminally convict all protestors who violate the restraining order. If any of those convicted are foreigners (i.e. on visas or visitors from visa exempt countries like the US), deport them and ban them from re-entry. Send the final bill to the BC government.
Uh, the RCMP have already been arresting people, and they're being charged with criminal contempt of court. Have you been paying attention to the news?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:42 AM

Notley slams B.C. over Trans Mountain 'legal rope-a-dope,' says pipeline agreement close

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...6-1a3cbef72656

Brilliant, Notley:

“But in representing Alberta at that table, we’re going to make something very clear — if we want to make sure every Canadian can get the medication they need, we need to be able to pay for it,” Notley said.

“So while they are at the premiers’ meeting talking about how to spend that kind of money, I’ll be here in Alberta talking about how we can earn that kind of money.”

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:52 AM

Quote:
That's precisely the type of attitude that will ruin any chances of getting pipelines built for good. While it might feel good to the mouth breathers in Alberta, having Kenney blow hot air and insult everyone outside of Alberta will win no friends and give no reason to have a mutually beneficial relationship.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I agree, disappointing move by BC! I'd have been more impressed if they'd told AB to shove their oil where they know, and use this opportunity to make a permanent one-time switch to renewables.

Notley was quoted today on CBC with my thoughts exactly: "they don't want our oil passing through, but at the same time they're about to sue us to make sure we continue to send AB oil to BC?!?"
Yeah, it doesn’t matter what side of the debate your on, it is just a dumb move.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
This isn't an accurate summary though. The BC government never wanted to ban oil shipments to BC from AB (and the substances we are talking about aren't all the same; there are different refined and raw materials, some of which are useful in BC and some of which are not). BC is supporting a court challenge related to the construction/expansion of a pipeline that is being built for export purposes. Kinder Morgan already has a pipeline and as far as I know nobody is proposing to shut it down. It makes perfect sense for BC to want finer-grained control over shipments than open season on all petrochemical shipments vs. none whatsoever.

Maybe the optics are bad if you don't know the details but the stance isn't nonsensical. We'll see what the outcome of the court cases and political games is.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:38 AM

This really is bizarre. BC is now going to be suing Alberta for NOT sending oil? In other words `we don`t want you to export your dirty oil because we want it all to ourselves.` Wouldn't it be a hoot if the extreme environmental groups ended up AGREEING with Notley cutting off the taps because it would help BC reduce it's GGH emissions even furthered and there would be no dirty oil running thru the province.

BTW, isn't BC one of the provinces that selects which wines can be sold in it's province? BC forbids any wine from anywhere else in the country to be sold in BC. You can get wines from every corner of the planet but not from Ontario or anywhere else in Canada. Apparently their reasoning must be that oil hurts the planet and the environment so is fair game but alcohol which kills tens of thousands every year is still benign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada