HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:10 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
But that would mean that Quebecois are Latinos.
That's true. But Latin America is also defined by places south of the US. To me, it can be limited to the countries that speak the languages of the Iberian Peninsula.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
How large is the third generation+ (non-Puerto Rican) Hispanic population in the US?
Its probably rather diluted. For example my Mother in law is a Cuban immigrant (though 100% European ancestry like many Cubans), my wife is half Cuban and my kids are 1/4 Cuban. Would they even be considered Hispanic?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Really? What kinds of ethnicities are you seeing out there? Hispanics, I'm guessing?
Probably Hispanic, but there are a lot of former (or even current) industrial towns that participated in The Great Migration that may have enough AA to tip the scale. 10% non-white isn't exactly a huge target to get to, especially if you're talking about a relatively small number as a base population. Towns and counties with colleges or universities probably also have an Asian component adding to the non-white count.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Hispanic is a very vague ethnic group (A Mexican has little in common with a Chilean) and "white" has become synonymous with "Anglo" which is incorrect because not all white Americans are of Anglo-Saxon origin. Polish, Italian and Greeks are all lumped in this category. Asian-Americans includes everyone from Iran, India to China. It's all bullshit.
For one thing, Chile has a much higher percentage of European-heritage, non-meztiso citizens, doesn't it?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:38 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
So does that mean that a WASP that becomes an atheist, or converts to another religion, is no longer a WASP because of the "P"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think it's cultural. A WASP who became an atheist is still a WASP; meaning even though they're no longer religious, they group up around it; family, upbringing...
The 'P' in WASP is almost as culturally significant as Jewishness is among non-practicing Jews, especially because it largely means Anglican/Episcopalian, Lutheran, and Presbyterian (church of Scotland), so brings in a stereotypical strong work ethic and related ideas.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 5:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
so brings in a stereotypical strong work ethic and related ideas.
yeah, and they're generally not nearly as drunk as us rowdy catholics (and cathgnostics).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, and they're generally not nearly as drunk as us rowdy catholics (and cathgnostics).
Protestantism is the worst thing to happen in human history.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 10:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I'd say they're every bit as drunk, but don't hold their liquor as well!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:15 PM

Funny, being Jewish growing up we thought of the WASPs as big drinkers (virtually no Jews abstain, but they have very low rates of alcoholism historically) - though maybe not as much as the Slavs and the Irish.

The Brits and Aussies seem to drink a lot too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:20 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Protestantism is the worst thing to happen in human history.
Off topic, but why?

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Funny, being Jewish growing up we thought of the WASPs as big drinkers (virtually no Jews abstain, but they have very low rates of alcoholism historically) - though maybe not as much as the Slavs and the Irish.

The Brits and Aussies seem to drink a lot too.
It's not unusual for Muslim slavs and eastern euros like Bosnians and Albanian to drink a lot but strictly abstain from eating pork. Same with Turks and Russian muslims. Whereas, reform/secular Jews will go on holiday to Asia and try anything they are served (unless they are vegan/vegetarian)

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Off topic, but why?

Because he's an idiot?

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:23 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Because he's an idiot?
Nah, pj3000 seems like a very smart guy. But I have to disagree with that comment from months ago. Protestantism was one of the things that helped Europe escape religious tyranny. Without it, the US probably wouldn't have a 1st amendment.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Nah, pj3000 seems like a very smart guy. But I have to disagree with that comment from months ago. Protestantism was one of the things that helped Europe escape religious tyranny. Without it, the US probably wouldn't have a 1st amendment.
"Protestants" are a diverse group. Some strains of "protestantism" are intolerant and anti-intellectual. Others favor education, are tolerant and progressive. Protestantism emerged as a reform movement in Roman Catholicism. The papacy and the church hierarchy was very corrupt in the time of Luther, who was a priest. Luther protested the sale of indulgences to the gullible, and it basically started the revolution. The Roman Catholic Church today is generally quite tolerant, and favors and supports higher education and science as does the more progressive strains of protestantism.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 4:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Off topic, but why?
Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDBTZ View Post

And I can show a picture of a Muslim child with a suicide vest. What does that prove?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions