HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 12:06 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
I'm not sure if this question has ever been asked before. Does anyone know what sort caliber league MLS is equivalent to? Is MLS more like the UK's League 2 or Football League Championship? I was looking into English stadiums and as far as facility size comparisons go MLS is more like Football League Championship but what about the quality of players? Reading F.C's Madejski Stadium looks very similar to empire field, but has slightly less seats.
In my opinion, MLS teams are no better than lower League Championship teams, but that might be giving them too much credit. Perhaps they'd more likely fall into the League one or two level. If you look at the current players on the Whitecaps for example, you've got at least half from last years USSF D-2 team. These seem to be players who either were not good enough to make it overseas, or decided it wasn't worth the effort. Other players like Jay DeMerit and Terry Dunfield, considered among our top players, had brief stints in the English Premiership, but were relegated to lower divisions. The player salaries will always be a drag factor in how quickly the league skill level moves up.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation