HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 8:50 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
from the Jazz thread

Has anyone actually been to Corktown Tavern (or Ye Olde Corktowne Taverne hehe) since being taken over by the Slantes people?

We REALLY want to try it out as it's so close, but are still kinda hesitant given the bar's well-known history!
I was there about a month ago. It was pretty quiet on a weekday night, my friends and I were actually the most loud and rambunctious people in the place (and we were trying to be polite as well). The place was actually a bit of a snooze fest. I guess it was an off night or something. Was also VERY expensive... we quickly ended up with a $200 bill before we knew it (and none of the 4 of us were even feeling warm and fuzzy after that). Just a couple of rounds of rye and ginger was the rule of the night and a round of shots of tequila (ew). No food (the kitchen had actually closed by the time we went there).

Kind of funny, we wanted to go to the Rebels Rock but it was closed. wtf

The history of Corktown that I was told about certainly doesn't exist any more (a couple of my friends were regulars back then and they find the place boring now).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
from the Jazz thread

Has anyone actually been to Corktown Tavern (or Ye Olde Corktowne Taverne hehe) since being taken over by the Slantes people?

We REALLY want to try it out as it's so close, but are still kinda hesitant given the bar's well-known history!
I absolutely love it. The food is awesome...Friday nights from 6-8 are awesome with a bluegrass style band playing and a mussel bar.
I've been a ton of times since it re-opened.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 9:38 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

I agree that the Corktown is often rather dreary nowadays. Rebels Rock is the place to go for a good crowd. The food at Corktown is fine but nothing to write home about IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
I agree that the Corktown is often rather dreary nowadays. Rebels Rock is the place to go for a good crowd. The food at Corktown is fine but nothing to write home about IMHO.
Rebel's Rock looks like such a dive from the outside, and a tiny one in a crappy neighbourhood at that. Is it really a worthwhile place?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
yes, you are right on here. Rebels Rock is awesome. Great crowd and GREAT food.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
yes, you are right on here. Rebels Rock is awesome. Great crowd and GREAT food.
This is all I needed to know.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:18 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
This is all I needed to know.
Close your eyes, pretend it's a Walmart and just walk in.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 12:30 PM
Closed account

Thanks for all the responses! I walk by every now and then and see/hear bands playing, so I always wanted to check it... but ya, it's history is always enough to make me reconsider! haha

Expensive, eh? I like places where one can get a pitcher of dom beer for like $13! Not $17 like at Hess :s

So general consensus: If I'm happy with my Augusta pubs, stick w/ em? It's only an extra 2 min walk, so I'm kewl!

Thanks again everyone!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Rebel's Rock looks like such a dive from the outside, and a tiny one in a crappy neighbourhood at that. Is it really a worthwhile place?
Rebel's Rock is as close to an authentic Irish pub you'll ever get. The Chapmans do not rely on a disney-esque facade with stereotypical antique reproductions as adornments to lure in the Kelsey's crowd - the pub draws those who crave a true pub experience from all corners of the city and beyond.

Everything (and everyone) inside the pub is real and authentic and, like the pubs across the pond, usually are accompanied by a colourful story or two. It may not look like much to you on the outside, but for the regulars (and I count myself a regular) it is indeed a community living room showcasing amazing local musical talent, both as scheduled gigs and spontaneous sessions. And it is a welcome oasis for an often overlooked and under-appreciated part of town.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post

Kind of funny, we wanted to go to the Rebels Rock but it was closed.
Must have been a Monday. As a general rule, Rebel's Rock is closed on Mondays.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Rebel's Rock is as close to an authentic Irish pub you'll ever get. The Chapmans do not rely on a disney-esque facade with stereotypical antique reproductions as adornments to lure in the Kelsey's crowd - the pub draws those who crave a true pub experience from all corners of the city and beyond.

Everything (and everyone) inside the pub is real and authentic and, like the pubs across the pond, usually are accompanied by a colourful story or two. It may not look like much to you on the outside, but for the regulars (and I count myself a regular) it is indeed a community living room showcasing amazing local musical talent, both as scheduled gigs and spontaneous sessions. And it is a welcome oasis for an often overlooked and under-appreciated part of town.

again, bang on. the less 'Kelseys-like' a place is, the better!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:39 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Must have been a Monday. As a general rule, Rebel's Rock is closed on Mondays.
I believe it was. We honestly hadn't done any research into it at the time, I had simply seen a good review of it in View magazine and suggested we go there. I'll try again in the future though, for sure. Not on a Monday...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I absolutely love it. The food is awesome...Friday nights from 6-8 are awesome with a bluegrass style band playing and a mussel bar.
I've been a ton of times since it re-opened.
That'd be Randall Hill and the boys:

http://www.hamilton365.com/index/photo/43

One of Hamilton's "hidden gems" indeed. Do yourselves a favour and check them out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 10:52 PM
Closed account

If this isn't too wildly off topic, then I don't know what is, although it tangentially relates to cuisine: I'm eating leftover risotto right now made with saffron purchased at The Spice Emporium on Ottawa ST. If you haven't bought there yet, you should. Good stuff, reasonably priced, and you can make your own spice combinations right there in-house. The owner is a transplanted Torontonian who is pleasant to chat with. Check it out, if you haven't.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 10:23 PM

Stopped in at Three 16 Lounge today for a late lunch. I had the King (chicken caesar wrap) and my girlfriend had the nachos. The nachos are a new addition to the menu it seems. Lime flavoured chips with marble cheese, tomatoes, green peppers and salsa. The chicken in my wrap was a little dry, but I've had it there before and it has been outstanding every other time, so no harm done. There is a note on the menu now about the coffee being fresh from the market. I had the chocoate raspberry coffee and it was very good. We made a trip down from the west mountain just to go there. I love that place more every time.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:18 PM
Closed account

where did the rest of this discussion go?? the burrito boyz etc....

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
where did the rest of this discussion go?? the burrito boyz etc....
The "87-89 King St. E." thread. I am a big fan of Burrito Boyz.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:34 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

we need some good steak houses. I miss that place on Barton.... can't remember the name "Harry's" or something? across the street was the Aquarium seafood.

All we have is the Keg. I'd like to see a Ruth's Chris or Hy's, downtown or Jackson Sq. Maybe Harry will point one in the new Connaught.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:02 PM
Closed account

^there's the sirloin cellar, shakespeare's and the magill house. never been to any of them, so they might be shite. a keg-esque place like you mentioned would be a nice addition to the downtown. it seems to be everyone's guess as to what will be located in the connaught.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
we need some good steak houses. I miss that place on Barton.... can't remember the name "Harry's" or something? across the street was the Aquarium seafood.
Are you thinking of Martin's Steak House? It has reopened as the Purple Pear - great food there too - including some impressive steak dinners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation