HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:29 AM
I've been around

Metro rail - list of politicians for/against, chance to vote out the bad ones

Well, we have some elections coming up later this year, so I think it's a good time to start making a list of all the politicians metro Atlantans have a chance to vote for, and who we should NOT vote for if we are for metro rail and other progressive measures. Let's list both county and state officials, and also anyone who may be running associated with these individuals. I think we should make a statement against all the politicians who have sat around doing nothing! What do you say? Once we have a real list, we can start handing it out to people we know.

We'll need to do some research and gather articles, to see different stances on the issues. It will take some time. I would be completely for clearing everyone out since nothing has been done in the last so many years, however that'd be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are some rail advocates who have just not had enough people on their side.

I'll start it with the one who has probably done the most damage.

Don't vote list -- people against rail:

Vote list -- people for rail:
  • Congressman David Scott.
  • Sonny Perdue - Governor. Has constantly fought against capital improvements for light rail and commuter rail but strangely did a 180 degree turn after David Scott visited him and is now behind commuter rail.

Last edited by netdragon; Aug 31, 2008 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 8:51 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Well, we have some elections coming up later this year, so I think it's a good time to start making a list of all the politicians metro Atlantans have a chance to vote for, and who we should NOT vote for if we are for metro rail and other progressive measures. Let's list both county and state officials, and also anyone who may be running associated with these individuals. I think we should make a statement against all the politicians who have sat around doing nothing! What do you say? Once we have a real list, we can start handing it out to people we know.

We'll need to do some research and gather articles, to see different stances on the issues. It will take some time. I would be completely for clearing everyone out since nothing has been done in the last so many years, however that'd be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There are some rail advocates who have just not had enough people on their side.

I'll start it with the one who has probably done the most damage.

Don't vote list -- people against rail:
  • Sonny Perdue - Governor. Road advocate, has constantly fought against capital improvements for light rail and commuter rail. Has pushed BRT as only viable option while at the same time he also pushed for money to help improve rural freight rail for farmers.

Vote list -- people for rail:

1. The Georgia PIRG (Public Interest Research Group) is an advocate for the public interest...and from the information on their website, more and better public transportation is the state's #1 key issue: http://www.georgiapirg.org/ There is a section that might give you most of the information you're looking for, titled:

How did they vote? Are your elected officials voting in the public interest or with special interests? Find out: Legislative and Congressional Scorecard

2. Citizens for Progressive Transit is described as "simply locals who are passionate about public transportation being a key piece of the great city puzzle. We strive to be an information conduit between our transit agencies and riders like us." There is a plethora of information as well as a transit bog on the website: http://www.cfpt.org/

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 1:14 PM
Reliable Source

Citizens for Progressive Transit is a front for transportation special interests who think they can dig into taxpayers' pockets. They haven't come up with any economically viable proposals. Just saying.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Citizens for Progressive Transit is a front for transportation special interests who think they can dig into taxpayers' pockets. They haven't come up with any economically viable proposals. Just saying.
Fiorenza, CPT is a small organization of citizen volunteers interested in improving transit options.

Are you thinking of Georgians For Better Transportation? Although they describe themselves as "a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization," they are actually made up of powerful highway contractors, heavy equipment dealers and engineering firms with major financial interests in highway construction. They hold functions like $10,000 a plate dinners for state legislators and DOT officials (with Travis Tritt for a little entertainment).

Last edited by Andrea; May 12, 2008 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:05 PM
Reliable Source

Sorry, you're right.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 7:39 PM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
1. The Georgia PIRG (Public Interest Research Group) is an advocate for the public interest...and from the information on their website, more and better public transportation is the state's #1 key issue: http://www.georgiapirg.org/ There is a section that might give you most of the information you're looking for, titled:

How did they vote? Are your elected officials voting in the public interest or with special interests? Find out: Legislative and Congressional Scorecard
Sadly, it has an empty list for my address in Smyrna.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 2:39 AM
I've been around

Strangely, Perdue reversed his stance, so I had to move him to the "for" list.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta