HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Let's not bother about those what if scenarios yet... because had KD been healthy, Golden State would have won in 6 max.

The Raptors need to sign Kawhi. Anything else is unimportant at this point.

Oh SaskScraper...
Not the case, Toronto had no problems with GSW with Durrant during the season.

Toronto has been a top 3 team all year long and the result would have been similar with a regular GSW team or not. The matchups all favoured Toronto. With Currant on the floor GSW composition and play style is much different and does not lend to Klay having his lights out shots and makes it more difficult for Stephen.

Outside of the finals they lost more playoff games with Durrant healthy versus not. This is not saying they are not a better team, just different and much easier to game plan for.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 6:46 PM

What a great ending for both Hockey and basketball!

The perennial underdogs, the Saint Louis winning the cup, followed by the Raptors!

A little side note to the is great series. What really impressed me was GSW's Klay Thompson's shooting. My heart sank every time he shot from outside and nailed those 3 pointers which seemed like always.

Last edited by Razor; Jun 15, 2019 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 1:08 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Let's not bother about those what if scenarios yet... because had KD been healthy, Golden State would have won in 6 max.
They certainly looked scary good for the twelve minutes he played in game 5, but I don't think KD's adrenaline would have lasted for the entire game. I'm not convinced it would have turned out all that differently. Golden State won in 2015 and went 73-9 the next year without KD, after all.

I think another good hypothetical is how good the Raptors would have been if Kawhi Leonard hadn't been injured. Apparently he was at about 80% healthy for the EC finals and the NBA finals, and in retrospect he never really truly dominated in any of the games against Golden State (though 80% Kawhi was good enough for the team to win).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thought Vancouver was one of the first cities to have a viewing party? Jurassic Park West?
You’re thinking of Mississauga.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:08 AM

That Lakers trade is fucked.

There is a power void in the west with KD and Klay out for next year. Dont want to sound like too much of s homer but looks like masai might have set the precedent for going all-in on one year

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:58 AM

With what Masai did and Columbus Blue Jackets at the trade deadline (swept record beating TBL in 1st round), ya, this philosophy could spread throughout all sports.

It was such a stroke of genius from Masai. At the time, it was hard to lose Demar, but I was on board all the way. Either we win a championship or we don't win and Kawhi leaves and we go full rebuild with a nice core of Spicy P and OG.

I would love to see a video looking back at the fanboys on the street after the trade who said "ah man, how can management be soooo stoooopid". And then ask them how they feel now.

It was always okay to disagree with that risky trade, but it was the fanboys with their uninformed opinions and twitter type reactions that irked me.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 3:03 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
...we go full rebuild with a nice core of Spicy P and OG.
Funny how I've totally forgotten about OG. He was out for the entirety of the playoffs. Imagine if he'd been available?

Thing is though, while last year it seemed like Pascal and OG were about even keel with the same potential as young players, this year Pascal went stratospheric and OG stalled a bit.

Maybe he'll have a breakout season next year?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 3:06 AM

Really? I have to admit, I've never been in a sports store in other city in Canada. I guess being Canada's lone NBA team it would make sense for Sports Chek, Foot Locker, Champs or National Sports (Ontario) to have Raps gear, along with a couple of trendy teams like GSW or LAL.

Walmart too? Like in Edmonton or Regina or Montreal or Halfax?

Not that I pay attention to this much, but I don't recall seeing any CFL team gear in stores other than Argos. Ticats too if in Burlington. Definitely see lots of gear from the other Canadian NHL teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Yes, same as any other sport.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 3:11 AM

So, if you're Masai, and it's true that Washington is offering him $10 mil a year, do you leave? I guess it depends on whether Kawhi stays or goes. But damn, $10 mil for GM is a sweet pay day. Raps could let him leave like the Caps let Trotz go after delivering their long awaited first cup because... mission accomplished!

What a track record, with Denver and Toronto!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 3:14 AM

So does Plant Guy become the next Dart Guy? Is he going to get hooked up with court side seats next year? Though he does give off that unlikable, scummy vibe, while Dart Guy was like a teddy bear, but you can't judge a book by its cover.

One of you guys mentioned that he must have been on coke. I have a feeling you were half joking, half serious, but you can't be far off.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 5:10 AM

Masai has to go, does he not? He built a winner, went all in on this season, and it paid off. Time to move on to his next challenge.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thought Vancouver was one of the first cities to have a viewing party? Jurassic Park West?
Ha no Vancouver was the biggest city to not have a viewing party.
Yet with the second most NBA viewers in the country.
Bring back the Grizzlies.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 9:34 AM

Must you reference getting the Grizzlies back in every post to make yourself feel better? The bottomline is it's likely not going to happen and it will be some time before the opportunity would even present itself. The NBA would go to places like Vegas and Seattle before Vancouver, if they want to go international they'll go to Mexico City to have the whole continent represented. Vancouver is well down the list of potential expansion cities. Adam Silver has said the NBA would like a team in Vancouver but he says the same about every city that inquires about an NBA franchise. What else is he going to say?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

DeAdder cartoon. Moncton Times & Transcript:

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
So, if you're Masai, and it's true that Washington is offering him $10 mil a year, do you leave? I guess it depends on whether Kawhi stays or goes. But damn, $10 mil for GM is a sweet pay day. Raps could let him leave like the Caps let Trotz go after delivering their long awaited first cup because... mission accomplished!

What a track record, with Denver and Toronto!
Caps didn't want Trotz to leave...

The owner, who is the same owner of the Wizards was being cheap and didn't want to give a Chamionship winning coach marker value so Trotz left. This owner is well known to be a challange to work for.

There is a plus to working for a bunch of suits and a board as they leave Masai alone to run the basketball team how he sees fit. If I recall the only selling he has to do each year is the budget and payroll he presents (justify going into luxury tax for example), all personal matters are his to execute no questions asked. You don't have owners trying to chime in on player moves or override your decisions, from a power standpoint he won't find a more autonomous situation.

Unless Masai is tempted from the potential of being in the DC ecosystem full time ro leverage his African foundation work then he will likely stay put in Toronto. Wizards have the worst cap situation in the league and will be a 5-year project at least to get from the wood to relevancy. The Raptors upcoming rebuild will.be much quicker as Masai has had his hands on cresting the cap situation since he got here.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 8:31 PM

Ya that's what I meant. Let him leave without matching his new market value. Which I think was a sound decision.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Must you reference getting the Grizzlies back in every post to make yourself feel better? The bottomline is it's likely not going to happen and it will be some time before the opportunity would even present itself. The NBA would go to places like Vegas and Seattle before Vancouver, if they want to go international they'll go to Mexico City to have the whole continent represented. Vancouver is well down the list of potential expansion cities. Adam Silver has said the NBA would like a team in Vancouver but he says the same about every city that inquires about an NBA franchise. What else is he going to say?
This thread is basically a Raptors thread in the Canada section, and that's fine, but if somebody wants to talk about the NBA returning to Vancouver in the Basketball in Canada thread, they have every right to do so. This is the place to do just that. Go to a different basketball forum if you don't like hearing about other things besides the Raptors and Drake the Fake.

And Vancouver is not way down on the list.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 9:53 PM

Now this is funny. A Toronto writer decided that she needed to do a story on the Raptor celebrations in Toronto vs Vancouver. I swear Toronto is obsessed. With itself or Vancouver. I'm not sure which. lol.

Quote:
But, it wasn’t just Torontonians that got into the festive spirit. Canadians from coast to coast celebrated. Unfortunately, some cities didn’t couldn’t celebrate quite as hard as Canada’s largest metropolis.

For example, or cousins on the west coast also took to the streets, however, celebrations in Vancouver weren’t as extravagant as those in Toronto...
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/toro...ebrations-2019

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Now this is funny. A Toronto writer decided that she needed to do a story on the Raptor celebrations in Toronto vs Vancouver. I swear Toronto is obsessed. With itself or Vancouver. I'm not sure which. lol.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/toro...ebrations-2019
lol. fyi, that girl (writer) is originally from Vancouver.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I, too, find the celebrations and attention to the NBA finals and win vastly overblown, and it rankles when I turn on the national news, expecting to hear some world and national news of consequence, and see nothing but "Raptors win/parade plans" for the first 15 minutes. It's neato that the Raptors won, and it's good for this city, but let's move on. There are important things going on in this country and across the globe.
But I can tell you one thing: a small proportion of Torontonians may be fixated on all-things-Toronto, as some denizens of all cities are with their hometowns, and those boosters and homers are as intensely irritating to me as they are to you (hopefully you feel the same way about Vancouverites of that ilk), but not a single person in Toronto looks to or cares what Vancouver thinks about Toronto. Sorry to break the news. I would venture with some assurance that Vancouver and Montreal have far more city-aggrandizers and city-solipsists per capita than Toronto. Torontonians as a rule are very critical of this city, which has a reputation among longtime residents of "working despite itself".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada