HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 1:39 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 185 Broadway (7 Dey Street) | 404 FT | 35 FLOORS

SL Green plans office tower near WTC

June 21, 2017 12:15PM

Quote:
SL Green Realty TRData LogoTINY is planning to build a Financial District office tower close to the World Trade Center.

The real estate investment trust received permits last month to put up scaffolding and begin demolishing three buildings it owns at 183 and 187 Broadway and 5-7 Dey Street, the New York Post reported. Simultaneously, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority issued a request for proposals to buy 62,750 square feet of unused air rights over a subway entrance next door to the development.

If SL Green bought the air rights, it could construct a building as big as 200,000 square feet.

The company bought 183 Broadway for $28.5 million last year and paid $63.7 million for the other two buildings in 2015. The Post reported that SL Green also approached the owners of two office properties at 179 and 181 Broadway but has yet to convince them to sell.
200k square feet might not seem big, but I do think they will try to further enlarge the site. Also, since there is still a lot of space at the WTC, it might be some time before we see action beyond demolition happening here.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:44 PM

A prominent site. There have been a lot of sad demolitions on this tiny stretch of Broadway (Singer, city investment bldg, St. Paul Building)- and downtown in general. It's always struck me as sad then that this block of Broadway has been left with tiny crummy buildings after all of this.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
A prominent site. There have been a lot of sad demolitions on this tiny stretch of Broadway (Singer, city investment bldg, St. Paul Building)- and downtown in general. It's always struck me as sad then that this block of Broadway has been left with tiny crummy buildings after all of this.
Yeah, this block kinda sucks. I always thought it would make sense to expand the WTC site eastward towards Broadway, redeveloping the Century 21 tower and the lowrise junk along Broadway. Something like a 6 and/or 8 WTC.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a full-block assemblage. SL Green is very patient, so may have its eye on a larger site. They waited forever to assemble the One Vanderbilt site.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, this block kinda sucks. I always thought it would make sense to expand the WTC site eastward towards Broadway, redeveloping the Century 21 tower and the lowrise junk along Broadway. Something like a 6 and/or 8 WTC.

Hopefully this is just the beginning of a full-block assemblage. SL Green is very patient, so may have its eye on a larger site. They waited forever to assemble the One Vanderbilt site.
I hope that's the case. Rather wait a couple of years and add some more developable area... a 25-35 floor office building would be a nothingburger for this area.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]200k square feet might not seem big, but I do think they will try to further enlarge the site. Also, since there is still a lot of space at the WTC, it might be some time before we see action beyond demolition happening here.
Article says they filed demo permits for a few buildings on Broadway, and the building on Dey.

Really hope they purchase everything on this block that faces Broadway, it's a total turd on an otherwise gorgeous stretch of Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 11:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I hope that's the case. Rather wait a couple of years and add some more developable area... a 25-35 floor office building would be a nothingburger for this area.
I like the idea of another WTC addition. Hopefully they will convince the owners to sell the nearby structures, to really build something nice. A mixed used is always good. Pure office sounds risky given the competition.

Quote:
The company bought 183 Broadway for $28.5 million last year and paid $63.7 million for the other two buildings in 2015. The Post reported that SL Green also approached the owners of two office properties at 179 and 181 Broadway but has yet to convince them to sell.
This could be way bigger if they can buy the properties.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:23 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Wonder if they could buy more airrights from the subway station.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:32 PM

This spot really needs a full block assemblage and be a WTC8 or something similar. Obviously there is not the demand right now, but I would love to see a supertall on this site. With the right design, a 1500-1600 foot tower could be amazing (that would take some rezoning right?)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:38 PM

Also, some 175 and 179 are relatively handsome historic buildings. I'm a proponent of preservation by relocation in some cases, such as in the case of demolition. I've thought that if there were ever to be a low rise development in the Seaport parking lot at Beekman and Water street, why not relocate some of these buildings (or their facades) to that location?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 11:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Wonder if they could buy more airrights from the subway station.
I believe thats the goal + buying the nearby structures. To build a bigger assemblage.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 7:24 PM

I'd imagine they're looking to expand the site...200k feet in that area (especially at the entrance to the Fulton Street hub, is very tiny.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I'd imagine they're looking to expand the site...200k feet in that area (especially at the entrance to the Fulton Street hub, is very tiny.
Yes it is, unless they are looking to build hotel space on the site. An office tower would be ideal because the site sits directly between the Fulton transit center and the PATH terminal.
The bulk of the block, in terms of footprint, is currently occupied by Centuy21 and the larger tower on top.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 5:17 PM

Oh, so that's where this assembly is.

The C21 building and the tower on top are horrendous...much worse than the hated Liberty Plaza next door. Maybe they will be included and razed...one can only hope.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:16 AM

^The Art Deco portion of the century 21 store on Church street is gorgeous and has a wonderful interior (Marred by poor signage and decals no doubt). The 60s tower is trash though.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 11:09 PM

Assuming they acquire everything they can on this block and some nearby air rights, this tower can get quite big, up to 1.9 million square feet. That's already bigger than 10 Hudson Yards, Salesforce Tower or the Wilshire Grand and very close to Manhattan's Bank of America tower!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Assuming they acquire everything they can on this block and some nearby air rights, this tower can get quite big, up to 1.9 million square feet. That's already bigger than 10 Hudson Yards, Salesforce Tower or the Wilshire Grand and very close to Manhattan's Bank of America tower!
Yeah, 1BP is about 2.3 msf, about on par with 4 WTC (2.5 msf).

I think this block would be an excellent choice for an office development. Of course, I would like to see anything here happen after 2 WTC is built.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 11:12 AM

Demo in progress!

Credit goes to rbome at NYYimby

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 1:01 PM

I'm guessing this will be a skinny residential or hotel/residential condo. The footprint would be very odd for office.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 1:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm guessing this will be a skinny residential or hotel/residential condo. The footprint would be very odd for office.
I'm fairly sure that SLG said it will be a boutique office tower. I'm pleased that they're preserving the nicer buildings on this stretch and getting rid of the two junky ones. However, I'd love to see something happen with the small eyesore on the south end of the block that has the rancid sushi shop.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:19 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2017/12/04/s...-york-program/

SL Green to build FiDi rental under Affordable New York program
REIT assembled site at 183-187 Broadway over two years

By Konrad Putzier
December 04, 2017

Quote:
SL Green Realty plans to build a mixed-income residential rental tower at 183-187 Broadway under the 421a-successor program, the company announced during its annual investor conference Monday.

The real estate investment trust expects to finish construction by 2020, it said, with 30 percent of the units designated affordable. The project would be one of the first Manhattan developments to use Affordable New York, the program that succeeded 421a. It wasn’t immediately clear how many units the project will include.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive