HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Isn't great to live in a city... where folks actually want to live in the city??

is that sarcasm? or are you for real?, is'nt the city poor and has crappy transit and other stuff

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:54 AM

With respect to the 1 Bloor Project - I liked the original design much much better. This new design is simply another boring Toronto box - I don’t see anything inspiring about the architecture of this building at all. Yah yah yah so its taller than some of the others – big deal, its boring. I dont blame the Architect of course, his design skills are closly governed by the meatheads at city hall who don’t want to see anything dramatic in this city and by the jerks who provide the financing in this boxville, who likewise refuse to entertain anything that doesn’t look like everything else.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:20 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
is that sarcasm? or are you for real?, is'nt the city poor and has crappy transit and other stuff
I would argue that everyone living in any particular city, including Toronto, has their own view on how 'great' the city is. An unemployed bum living on the street might feel that its a crappy city, while a multi-millionaire living in his condo in the sky might feel on top of the world. Or maybe their feelings might be reversed. Its all in the eye of the beholder...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgo100 View Post
You're kidding right?

Downtown Toronto has more life than most cities in the world and is certainly second only to New York from a North American perspective.

The city may be under financial pressure and the transit system over loaded. However, it is quite obvious there is a draw to downtown life that most cities would envy.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
"I hope its not reduced" certainly implied it

I think its quite clear something tall will be built on the sales centre site but probably not the same Signature Tower we've all shared a few laughs about. However the notion that some part-time construction worker would know the future plans for Cityplace is a tad ridiculous. I doubt the general contractor hired by Concord Adex to hire the dozens sub-contractors needed to get the building built on time and budget would have the foggiest idea (not that he would care to know in any regard)

It's will remain a vison (at least for me) until I see some sort of confirmation on Concord's intentions regarding 'the phallus' that satisfies me
Agree. The site will not be ignored. However, what will end up there I'm sure will have little similarity with previous designs. The builders intention was for Signature to be the tallest residential building in Canada.

Even under a strict definition of residential building they would probably need a height increase over what is likely to be approved for ROCPIII.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:51 PM
gettin' rich!

In it's Yorkville Context

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 7:57 PM
gettin' rich!

pics of HVAC going in on BA- pics courtesy of paul451 on UT

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 9:17 PM

anyone know what is going on with....

Burano
The L tower
James Cooper Mansion
EQ3
Coutoure or countore??

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 12:53 AM

I don't know about the others, but L Tower is just cutting through the red tape. The thing is all but sold out and only because the developer has held back some suites. Shouldn't be too long before we here something.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I would argue that everyone living in any particular city, including Toronto, has their own view on how 'great' the city is. An unemployed bum living on the street might feel that its a crappy city, while a multi-millionaire living in his condo in the sky might feel on top of the world. Or maybe their feelings might be reversed. Its all in the eye of the beholder...
i guess your right, every city has there problems

Old Posted Oct 3, 2007, 3:34 AM
Sophisticated Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep View Post
anyone know what is going on with....

Burano
The L tower
James Cooper Mansion
EQ3
Coutoure or countore??
- Sales at Burano have been very strong. Should have a public release soon (if it hasn't already).
- L Tower has had strong sales too. Both projects are moving forward and I'd expect both to start construction spring-ish next year.
- Don't know what's going on with James Copper Mansion.
- EQ3 is starting sales.
- Couture is building a sales centre. Thus far all we know is it will be similar in size to the nearby X Condo.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt, 1918.
"As Canadian as possible under the circumstances."
Urban Toronto

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 12:14 AM

thanks...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 3:25 PM
gettin' rich!

Bay Adelaide in a bit of scale to humans.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 2:43 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
With respect to the 1 Bloor Project - I liked the original design much much better. This new design is simply another boring Toronto box - I don’t see anything inspiring about the architecture of this building at all. Yah yah yah so its taller than some of the others – big deal, its boring. I dont blame the Architect of course, his design skills are closly governed by the meatheads at city hall who don’t want to see anything dramatic in this city and by the jerks who provide the financing in this boxville, who likewise refuse to entertain anything that doesn’t look like everything else.

I liked the first design for 1 Bloor Street East but the new one is much much better! I dont know how City Hall would have anything to do with the change?

All I do know is with the quality of architecture and urban design we see on this thread, it is easy to see why Toronto has one of the most progressive planning departments of any city I know.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:08 PM
gettin' rich!

city planning, keeps Toronto from looking like Las Vegas...

or Shanghai, or Dubai..(etc, etc)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yue Yi View Post
...I dont know how City Hall would have anything to do with the change?
I have spent 25 years acquiring approvals for commercial projects all across the GTA and many areas of Canada - specifically out west - and I can tell you negotiations for approval of a project of this size are huge. City hall has an entire team of "Urban Planners" who's job it is to ensure the buildings are "suited" to their neighbourhood etc. etc (and they absolutely do tell developers what height and/or what type of materials and finishes would help to get the project approved). And all projects must make financial contributions (cash in lieu of parkland for example if the site doesn’t provide for park space or not enough park space, or cash for schools) these items are used by the city as "chips" when the developer negotiate for such things as density improvements etc. In fact the city rubs its hands when a deep pocketed developer comes knocking on the door. They will make it as difficult as they can for the developer to extract as much cash as they can. These “negotiations” go on all the time. Building a building taller is not impossible – just extremely expensive. Many developers make concessions on height or location or design simply because they cannot afford the city’s “requirements”. Believe me, the city plays a big role in the design of these projects.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 1:16 AM

Quote:
his design skills are closly governed by the meatheads at city hall who don’t want to see anything dramatic in this city and by the jerks who provide the financing in this boxville, who likewise refuse to entertain anything that doesn’t look like everything else.
10-01-2007 08:16 PM
Hey Big Daddy... here's a draft of one half of a compilation render I'm working on.... I'm sure you see dead people (nee boxes) but out-of-towners with nothing going on in their city may get a kick out of some of these:

^SPECIAL NOTE: please do NOT re-post or link without permission. UPDATED RENDERS CAN BE VIEWED HERE:http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139288

Last edited by Maldive; Oct 12, 2007 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 1:31 AM
JoeCooper

OMG! Great job!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 3:22 AM

To make a great City one needs the collaberation of a strong development industry, talented architects AND progressive and skilled planners and urban designers. The first two deal with buildings individually. City planners deal with buildings individually and collectively. Those amazing projects that are on this thread have all gone through a planning process whereby buildings have been improved. Although the examples above are quite diverse archtecturally, they all work with their surroundings to frame and create great public spaces and great streets.In many cases these new projects create new public spaces and enhance the public realm. This is where Toronto, in my opinion, succeeds beyond cities like Dubai or Miami, where the buildings in those cities just don't seem to work together.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 7:30 PM

Thanks, you make your point - I do get frustrated when I see good projects sidelined by or negatively altered by political forces. (ROCP 3 for example)

Your compilation is very nice, you do good work. I hope all of these projects make it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations