HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:48 AM

Green roofs

Quote:
A new law in France -- the first of its kind at the national level -- requires all new buildings constructed in commercial areas must feature either a green roof or solar panels.

Aside from being a sustainable and economic move, the new law will help minimize urban heat island effect -- the increase in temperature due to large quantities of asphalt and concrete structures.

Many cities have bylaws that ensure a similar concept -- among them, Toronto.

Ontario's capital garnered attention worldwide for being the first North American city to enact a law of this kind. In 2009 Toronto required specific buildings to incorporate rooftop gardens into their design, and these requirements now stand for all industrial buildings, too.

Zurich, Copenhagen, and Tokyo all have similar bylaws enforcing rooftop vegetation or green roof concepts.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...e-green/56617/
Is this something you think Metro Van should have more of?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I think so, and I'll bet a lot of people on SSP might think so, too. Very much in keeping with the times, I reckon.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:16 PM

Quote:
One of the outlying burbs here tried to enact green roofs for industrial buildings. The market pretty much went f-u on that, and I think it was repealed. Coquitlam maybe? I can't recall anymore.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
One of the outlying burbs here tried to enact green roofs for industrial buildings. The market pretty much went f-u on that, and I think it was repealed. Coquitlam maybe? I can't recall anymore.
It was Port Coquitlam.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Definitely, but a government mandate is a horrible way to go.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
No kidding. Vancouver's LEED mandate just adds costs to everything. I'd rather build something LEED-like and pass on the crazy and costly certification and recertification process. LEED's become big business, and a monopoly fed by government bloody-mindedness.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 9:37 PM

I guess the question is -
Is it cost effective to put a green roof (aimed at insulating to moderate interior temperatures and requiring additional structural support for the weight of soil, etc.) on a warehouse building that probably isn't climate controlled / air-conditioned in the first place?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I guess the question is -
Is it cost effective to put a green roof (aimed at insulating to moderate interior temperatures and requiring additional structural support for the weight of soil, etc.) on a warehouse building that probably isn't climate controlled / air-conditioned in the first place?
In this case they're talking about the outdoor temperature - it goes up when you have lots of concrete and no green space.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 11:29 PM

So I guess the question is whether it should be imposed if it doesn't have a [significant] direct benefit for the building and its occupants.

I was thinking industrial buildings (i.e. versus the Convention Centre, where they want the inside to be comfortable).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 11:41 PM

The City of Vancouver has brought in defacto Green Roof requirements for Southeast False Creek through the Official Development Plan requirement that at least 50% of the site area of each property must have permeable surfaces to mitigate stormwater run-off. Of course, you cannot accommodate 50% permeable surfaces on a parcel without utilizing a green roof, otherwise the building would have to be restricted to a small portion of the site area. Of course they cannot actually mandate green roofs without opening the City up to liability risk should the green roofs fail at some point in the future and the green roofs are not part of the BC Building Code.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Sometimes businesses have to be pushed into doing something other than the cheapest imaginable outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
No kidding. Vancouver's LEED mandate just adds costs to everything. I'd rather build something LEED-like and pass on the crazy and costly certification and recertification process. LEED's become big business, and a monopoly fed by government bloody-mindedness.
I have no problem with a LEED-like situation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues