HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
Crying over lost height isn't something that I get into anymore but the way that this particular case has played out is hopelessly depressing.

The demolition of The Boyd is the true sad aspect. It was possible to salve the loss of that unique building with the fact that something a bit more than average schlock was going up in its place. Now it seems that that is no longer the case due to current market forces. What's ironic is that the project spent so much time being kicked around in development hell (due to the reaction to the initial POS concept) that by the time shovels are ready to hit the dirt the envisioned project may no longer be viable.

If 1910 becomes an understated, plain or - worse yet and most likely - ugly box - it will be a perfect monument to the state of large scale development in this city. There is no demand for real ingenuity or striking design in our civic DNA because collectively we don't care much about that here. The powers that be are happy as long as their boat isn't rocked or their palms are properly greased. Magnificent old buildings (of which our supply is appallingly shrinking) that actually carry value are razed and those pieces of our civic fabric get replaced with...whatever the hell.

I'll wait until the official word comes down about the downsizing but if it is truth then it will be the latest and among the saddest in a long line of disappointing downgrades, cancellations or bait-and-switches for a city that readily swallows them because the final product doesn't matter - this is Philly...as long as there's union hours amirite?
Nailed it. Perfect post.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
There are quite a few apartments coming onto the market in a pretty small area.

Yes, but the East Market project recently accelerated their development timetable, adding the second tower immediately (with a lot of additional apartments) in what must be an inferior location to 19th and Chestnut. Does the market change that quickly? Do builders made decisions with multiple-year building timeframes and long-term consequences on the basis of such short-term data? It seems strange to me…but I am not a builder, nor in the Real Estate business.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:15 AM

As of 4/5/17, 1910 Chestnut has an updated permit:

FOR AMENDMENT OF BLDG PERMIT AP#646594 TO INCLUDE FOUNDATIONS, TEMPORARY BASEMENT STRUCTURE, ELEVATOR SHAFT, AND METAL DECKING INSTALLATION IN PREPARATION FOR FUTURE PHASE II WORK. (IEBC 2009, COMPLIANCE PATH: ADDITIONS) NO BREACH IN EXTERIOR WALLS LOCATED AT THE PROPERTY LINE ARE PERMITTED UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATIVE PERMIT. **SEPARATE PERMITS REQUIRED FOR DOCUMENTATION OF SPECIAL INSPECTORS RETAINED TO CONDUCT SPECIAL INSPECTIONS. SEPARATE PERMITS TO BE REQUIRED FOR ERECTION OF ABOVE-GRADE STRUCTURE AND OCCUPANCY. SEPARATE PA DEPT OF LABOR & INDUSTRY PERMIT REQUIRED FOR ELEVATOR INSTALLATION.**

Looks like a foundation permit has been issued for this building!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:44 AM

But will it be 407 ft or 290?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
a recent permit update indicated it will be 271ft high.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
In your heart, I think you know the answer.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:34 PM

I wonder if we'll get a new design or a midget version of the latest one.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I wonder if we'll get a new design or a midget version of the latest one.
I wish that Pearl would go back and announce that they are going with the original design, along with placing it on Chestnut Street. Unlikely to happen, but you can't blame a man for dreaming!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:18 PM

^^ I was thinking the same thing, although that was designed for the corner lot, not the Boyd (R.I.P.) parcel.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^^ I was thinking the same thing, although that was designed for the corner lot, not the Boyd (R.I.P.) parcel.
How could they have started with such a classy looking building and ended up 4 or 5 years later (min) with a empty lot and their 4th set of plans and who knows what they look like. I'm getting that feeling that this lot might be hanging around "as is" through this present cycle and on into the next one.

Do people think that the market could support both this project and 1911 Walnut St. at the same time? Or is it a race, in slow motion, to see who can get to the starting line first?

If it is one project or the other, which one would you like to see built first?

Last edited by City Wide; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
How could they have started with such a classy looking building and ended up 4 or 5 years later (min) with a empty lot and their 4th set of plans and who knows what they look like. I'm getting that feeling that this lot might be hanging around "as is" through this present cycle and on into the next one.

Do people think that the market could support both this project and 1911 Walnut St. at the same time? Or is it a race, in slow motion, to see who can get to the starting line first?

I it is one project or the other, which one would you like to see built first?
Yes, this project has a sad history. If I had to choose, I'd choose the Walnut project. I think it will be more significant for the city and skyline. I don't think they are particularly competing though or necessarily have much impact on each other. 1911 Walnut is a mixed condo and rental, and I think the rental portion will be a wealthier demographic than 1910 Chestnut. I don't know that there's really that much overlap in their target renters.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:12 PM
Hello

The redesign and it only being 271 feet are disappointing to say the least. They had a chance for a real beauty here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes, this project has a sad history. If I had to choose, I'd choose the Walnut project. I think it will be more significant for the city and skyline. I don't think they are particularly competing though or necessarily have much impact on each other. 1911 Walnut is a mixed condo and rental, and I think the rental portion will be a wealthier demographic than 1910 Chestnut. I don't know that there's really that much overlap in their target renters.
10 Rittenhouse, 500 Walnut, One riverside, and a few others are in varying states of ultra luxury. However, I have to admit many of the other 4-6 apartment buildings recently built or planned aren't cheap. One bedroom's typically start at $2,000/month. Someone with an $80k salary who wants to live in a one bedroom will spend about 1/3 of their after tax income on rent. And I emphasize start. The majority of the 1 bedroom units at the Bridge are $2,200-2,500/month.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
10 Rittenhouse, 500 Walnut, One riverside, and a few others are in varying states of ultra luxury. However, I have to admit many of the other 4-6 apartment buildings recently built or planned aren't cheap. One bedroom's typically start at $2,000/month. Someone with an $80k salary who wants to live in a one bedroom will spend about 1/3 of their after tax income on rent. And I emphasize start. The majority of the 1 bedroom units at the Bridge are $2,200-2,500/month.
10 Rittenhouse, 500 Walnut, and One Riverside are condos so not comparators. I think the most likely comparators for 1911 Walnut rentals are the Versailles, 1401 Spruce (which should now deliver in 2018), and the Alison Building.

http://versaillesphilly.com/availability/

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...ison-building/

http://1401spruce.com/ http://1401spruce.com/

I think 1911 Walnut is supposed to have more larger 2+ bedroom units, starting in the high $3000s like all of these places. While 1910 Chestnut will have more 1 bedrooms at a lower price range. Still likely above $2000 for a 1 bedroom, but different demographics and price points.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
10 Rittenhouse, 500 Walnut, and One Riverside are condos so not comparators. I think the most likely comparators for 1911 Walnut rentals are the Versailles, 1401 Spruce (which should now deliver in 2018), and the Alison Building.

http://versaillesphilly.com/availability/

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...ison-building/

http://1401spruce.com/ http://1401spruce.com/

I think 1911 Walnut is supposed to have more larger 2+ bedroom units, starting in the high $3000s like all of these places. While 1910 Chestnut will have more 1 bedrooms at a lower price range. Still likely above $2000 for a 1 bedroom, but different demographics and price points.
Ahh, duh...my bad. Still my point remains...A general $2000-3000/month range for 1 bedroom units ain't cheap. I wonder if people have/will forgo all the amenities these buildings provide and location to the peripheral areas that still have quality units, but for $300-800/month cheaper. Just speculating a possible reason why this has stalled for so long.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:59 PM

The Harper

CCD's just released 2017 developments book gives this project a new name and a May 2017 start date.

http://centercityphila.org/research-...elopments-2017

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:18 PM

I think its this one. But not rendering

49. THE HARPER
DEVELOPER: Pearl Properties
SIZE: 275,000 sf
RESIDENTIAL UNITS: 165
START DATE: 2015
COMPLETION DATE: Spring 2019
DESCRIPTION: The Harper, named after James Harper, the
first person to build a house on Rittenhouse Square, is a
new multi-family residential development at 112 South
19th Street. With frontages on 19th Street, 20th Street
and Sansom Street, the overall project site is 35,000 sf.
The mixed-use project will include 165 residential units,
unparalleled amenities and parking for 150 cars in an
underground garage. Entry to the residential tower will
be through a landscaped courtyard facing 19th Street.
Retail is planned for 19th and Sansom Streets, in addition
to the retail space currently being developed at the site
of the former Boyd Theater lobby on Chestnut Street
and the adjacent infill construction and renovation at the
Alexander building on the corner of 19th and Chestnut
Streets, which was occupied by Target in 2016. The
residential portion of the project will begin construction
in May 2017.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:58 PM
BANNED

^so I assume that represents a drop in number of units vs the 32 floor proposal.

edit: units have dropped from 250 to 165- makes sense. Building was supposed to be 400k+ sf per CDR review.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:10 AM

Hmmm.. interesting. I'll change the name to "The Harper," but I'll wait until we hear more about floor count and height to change that. Hope this does start in May.

The CDR Package for the last iteration had the total square footage at 360,049 square feet. At 32 floors, that would be 11,251 sq ft per floor.

Now downsized to 275,000 square feet, where probably looking at 24 or 25 floors... so the 271 foot height makes sense. Disappointing overall, but hope this gets started soon... I really want to stop looking at that dirt lot.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:00 PM

Some activity on site today. Some heavy machinery pushing around dirt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive