HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:57 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philamigo View Post
Summer 2020 ...

Dranoff Properties just announced their 39 story 420 foot mixed use (hotel and condo) highrise building has been pushed off until the spring of 2021.

Can you point out where you found spring 2021? I took a quick look and didn't see that. The SLS still shows spring 2017 on the website.

Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Can you point out where you found spring 2021? I took a quick look and didn't see that. The SLS still shows spring 2017 on the website.

Thanks!
It was a joke... he is saying the building will keep getting delayed and get shorter every year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
construction costs here supposedly make it tough to get financing for hotel projects when you consider our room rates which are lower than places like NYC and Boston. Most major CC hotels have gotten some form of subsidy in recent decades.
Even if the economics are favorable, hospitality is typically harder to finance than a more conventional property... Hotels are as much operating businesses as they are real estate

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 2:06 AM
Leges Sine Moribus Vanae

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It was a joke... he is saying the building will keep getting delayed and get shorter every year.
Thank you. You got it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 8:29 PM

Well, that may not be too far off. This thread was started 3 years ago Saturday. Still, I'm hoping that this time they'll actually get started when they claim.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:32 PM

What is the current estimated starting date on this one? I haven't heard anything about it for awhile now

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:15 PM

"dead as a doornail"

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
What is the current estimated starting date on this one? I haven't heard anything about it for awhile now
They still want to start in the summer, but they needs their money first:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
They still want to start in the summer, but they needs their money first:

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ladelphia.html
they got money from the state, but it was much less than requested. No one has heard anything since.....

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
they got money from the state, but it was much less than requested. No one has heard anything since.....
Yeah, didn't they get $1 million of the $20 million requested? If so, there would still be a $19 million funding budget gap.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, didn't they get $1 million of the $20 million requested? If so, there would still be a $19 million funding budget gap.
i doubt it's really that big. Developers never get what they ask for from the state so Dranoff likely never needed $20M to make this happen. But I'm sure he needed more than he got. I seriously doubt the State will change anything and add more money so I do wonder if there is a Plan B.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
i doubt it's really that big. Developers never get what they ask for from the state so Dranoff likely never needed $20M to make this happen. But I'm sure he needed more than he got. I seriously doubt the State will change anything and add more money so I do wonder if there is a Plan B.
Yeah I doubt the state will give him more. Especially not now with a majority Republican legislature which hates Philadelphia. I would assume funding is holding SLS up. There can't be any other reason for it now that One Riverside is practically done. Dranoff did sell development rights and sites for the Royal Theater on South Street, and the One Cooper development in Camden. I assumed that was to raise money for this project. Still, haven't heard any more news for this.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 11:18 PM

Neither have I. I'd say the odds of this one being built are pretty damn small.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah I doubt the state will give him more. Especially not now with a majority Republican legislature which hates Philadelphia. I would assume funding is holding SLS up. There can't be any other reason for it now that One Riverside is practically done. Dranoff did sell development rights and sites for the Royal Theater on South Street, and the One Cooper development in Camden. I assumed that was to raise money for this project. Still, haven't heard any more news for this.
It's a damn shame. Seems increasingly unlikely, but I hope some dominoes fall into line somehow and they're able to get it together.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Financing issues persist according to this:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...-carl-dranoff/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Financing issues persist according to this:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...-carl-dranoff/
"... the SLS International Hotel and Residences at Spruce Street, on which work will commence once one stalled piece of the financing puzzle falls into place..."

and then

“The statistics were available as early as 2012,” he said. “The money spigot is open all the way, and anyone can get financing for a new project."

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 6:29 PM

Huh... I wonder why they just can't get financing for this. Seems like a no-brainer moneymaker to me.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 7:30 PM

If I was carl, I'd drop the hotel portion and do all condos. I think the condo market in CC is strong for good product... our city doesn't have the outsale prices to support a hotel as well. For example at extell's one57 in nyc, the hotel portion isn't the real money maker, it's there because it boosts the value of the condos on the higher floors, condo prices here aren't enough to subsidize a hotel like they did at one57.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
If I was carl, I'd drop the hotel portion and do all condos. I think the condo market in CC is strong for good product... our city doesn't have the outsale prices to support a hotel as well. For example at extell's one57 in nyc, the hotel portion isn't the real money maker, it's there because it boosts the value of the condos on the higher floors, condo prices here aren't enough to subsidize a hotel like they did at one57.
That's probably a good idea, although Philly is not New York. We don't have a "billionaire's row" of any sort. Of the top 10 tallest buildings in the city (including City Hall) only one is completely residential, and one has some residences in it. If the condo market in Philly were to increase, we would certainly see more buildings start coming up. Plus, with the Cambria and W Hotels under construction several blocks away, there's a lot of competition.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 7:55 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Possibly, but I have met the SLS rep working on this and he made clear that he and Dranoff are all-in together.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive