HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:12 PM

You know what's funny? I'll put my name on a list for a table, I'll wait for a buzzer to go off, or for a text saying it's my turn, hell I will even take a number and wait for it to be called.

I will not stand in line like it's a cattle call or carnival ride, though.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:30 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You know what's funny? I'll put my name on a list for a table, I'll wait for a buzzer to go off, or for a text saying it's my turn, hell I will even take a number and wait for it to be called.

I will not stand in line like it's a cattle call or carnival ride, though.
You arrive and they give you a number. Then you have a seat in a covered area with a mist system. When they open people line up by number. I think we waited 15-20 minutes and then stood in line for 5.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 4:56 PM
Modulator

Freeway court fight could threaten W.V. I-10 relief

More ridiculousness trying to stop the South Mountain 202 with another injunction requested on August 2nd to stop construction. No court in the U.S. is going to put a halt to this freeway.

http://www.westvalleyview.com/articl...wv-i-10-relief

*Edit: Oops. Meant to post this in Transportation. Please move mods. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:16 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...ing/579018001/

I'm telling you guys, Garfield is on the verge of becoming the "it" neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:

I'm telling you guys, Garfield is on the verge of becoming the "it" neighborhood.
Great use for the building and the trio will certainly help the new concept. Tacos Chiwas is pretty great.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:

yeah you can tell that the area between 7th and 16th is about to pop with remodels, as long as the economy stays good!

I can imagine in 10 years it will be a lot like the area around 3rd ave and Portland/Roosevelt.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:56 PM

Amazon plan's to build a second hq in NA and they're taking bids from cities i believe. Does anyone believe Phoenix or the Phx metro area has a shot? Im praying we do

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN2187 View Post
Amazon plan's to build a second hq in NA and they're taking bids from cities i believe. Does anyone believe Phoenix or the Phx metro area has a shot? Im praying we do
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=643

Came to post this

Pie in the sky to the Max, We couldn't even get the gigafactory, id be surprised if we got this. And even if we did it would be some giant corporate campus out in chandler probably.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
My initial thought was that they'd want to spread their corporate campuses into different regions. Therefore, the southeast or east coast sounds more likely. Or even Canada or Mexico. The article doesn't limit it to the US.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
ha ha

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think we have a good shot. If we did it would be nice if it was at Town Lake similar to the Marina Heights/State Farm development.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:14 PM

Article from business journal:

Phoenix proximity to Seattle could hurt chances of landing new Amazon headquarters; Toronto, Pittsburgh, D.C. may be in the mix

Quote:
Boyd — who has helped companies land investments in Arizona — said Phoenix and other West Coast and Southwestern locations are probably at a disadvantage in the high stakes competition for Amazon’s second headquarters.

That’s mostly because of their time zone proximity to Seattle.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...hances-of.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
I don't think we have a good shot. If we did it would be nice if it was at Town Lake similar to the Marina Heights/State Farm development.
Yeah, seems unlikely that Phoenix would be a strong contender, but it is fun to think about potential sites.

ASU Stadium District does seem to be the best fit, checks a lot of the boxes in Amazon's RFP--near public transit; near ASU for labor force; relatively business-friendly environment; zoning is largely in place, so the timeline to building would be quick; minutes from Sky Harbor; for Arizona, probably is the closest cultural fit for Amazon; one of the better Arizona communities for recreational opportunities; huge development opportunities--could probably accommodate the projected maximum 8 million SF.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a site in Phoenix that could accommodate the level of development proposed. Maybe Park Central?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah, seems unlikely that Phoenix would be a strong contender, but it is fun to think about potential sites.

ASU Stadium District does seem to be the best fit, checks a lot of the boxes in Amazon's RFP--near public transit; near ASU for labor force; relatively business-friendly environment; zoning is largely in place, so the timeline to building would be quick; minutes from Sky Harbor; for Arizona, probably is the closest cultural fit for Amazon; one of the better Arizona communities for recreational opportunities; huge development opportunities--could probably accommodate the projected maximum 8 million SF.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a site in Phoenix that could accommodate the level of development proposed. Maybe Park Central?

To meet all of Amazons requirements it would have to be Some open land in Tempe or a GIANT downtown development 50k workers?

They would need a few city blocks several high rise office buildings or a shorter more sprawling campus, maybe at Karsten or replacing one of the Stadium parking lots.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:12 AM
Skyriser

Let's do the math:

50,000 workers * 150 square feet per worker = 7.5 million square feet

With Renaissance Square as general guideline, you could easily fit well over a million square feet on a block downtown. 6 - 8 blocks downtown isn't a huge ask, especially closer to 7th Avenue. Lots of underutilized land there.

I disagree with the notion that a time zone similarity would be a detriment for Phoenix. Time zone similarity is only a problem for customer service roles.

This would be a complex of tech and other working professionals that need to sync with each other.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:52 AM
Skyriser

After reading the RFP for Amazon's HQ2, I think Phoenix could get this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:25 PM

You guys are nuts. I love my city but let's be honest with ourselves, we can't compete with the top cities in North America for something like this.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 3:46 PM

I assume there is a long term lease on the fair grounds but it would be awesome to redevelop that eyesore.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
After reading the RFP for Amazon's HQ2, I think Phoenix could get this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf
Thats actually not as bad as I thought 500 k sqft for 2019

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 11:45 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uawilly View Post
I assume there is a long term lease on the fair grounds but it would be awesome to redevelop that eyesore.
Say whut? You can't just tear down the Madhouse on McDowell!! Shaaazzzam!

With that said I know what you mean. First off, if that were to happen, I would at least like to see the old vets memorial coliseum renovated and repurposed.considering its historic value. Secondly, it ain't ever gonna happen in there...Amazon isn't that 'hood' :/

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Sep 11, 2017 at 12:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest