HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
This is for the conceptual reuse of the Holy Cross campus.
Ok! Didnt realize they were gonna have highrises there. Sounds good in theory though. Thanks for the information!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:21 PM

Just a concept. It's just a study being done by Holy Cross to see how they can market the property for the most part.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:10 PM
-

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start a facebook page for this forum as well?

Cheers,
Derek

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:11 PM

New Orleans seeks to knit together a downtown area

Associated Press Reporting

City of New Orleans and Louisiana officials plan to draw up a long-range vision for an important part of the downtown area near the Louisiana Superdome and City Hall.

Officials want to create a development plan for a section extending from the Superdome and New Orleans Arena to the former Charity Hospital and Veterans Affairs Medical Center. This area includes City Hall and other public buildings.

Andy Kopplin, the city's chief administrative officer, on Thursday told the City Council that the plan envisions coming up with ideas on how to ``knit together a vital part of downtown.'' New Orleans is contributing $100,000 for the study.

http://www.wwl.com/New-Orleans-seeks...-area/10679940

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
New Orleans seeks to knit together a downtown area

Associated Press Reporting

City of New Orleans and Louisiana officials plan to draw up a long-range vision for an important part of the downtown area near the Louisiana Superdome and City Hall.

Officials want to create a development plan for a section extending from the Superdome and New Orleans Arena to the former Charity Hospital and Veterans Affairs Medical Center. This area includes City Hall and other public buildings.

Andy Kopplin, the city's chief administrative officer, on Thursday told the City Council that the plan envisions coming up with ideas on how to ``knit together a vital part of downtown.'' New Orleans is contributing $100,000 for the study.

http://www.wwl.com/New-Orleans-seeks...-area/10679940
The main thing they have to do is get the homeless out of there. I go to City Hall often to pull permits and I can tell you everytime Ive been there a homeless dude was just pissing in broad daylight in Duncan Plaza. Its disgusting and sad! Get the homeless to stop sleeping in the park and stop defecating and peeing in front of everyone first! One idea Ive heard other cities using is to play Classical Music really loud all the time and everyone moves out! Cheap and effective!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start a facebook page for this forum as well?

Cheers,
Derek
Yeah thats a great idea.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 6:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Yeah thats a great idea.
You want to create it? lol

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 7:36 PM

Does anyone have any ideas about the Parking Structure on bidclerk? I thought it could be the most exciting tidbit from that list. Any ideas of where it could possibly be? Or where would you all think it SHOULD go?

Also, do you think the mentioned hotel renovation is the Loyola Holiday Inn?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 2:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Does anyone have any ideas about the Parking Structure on bidclerk? I thought it could be the most exciting tidbit from that list. Any ideas of where it could possibly be? Or where would you all think it SHOULD go?

Also, do you think the mentioned hotel renovation is the Loyola Holiday Inn?
Well the Hotel says something about balconies so I am guessing its in French Quarter. Rev Cletus might know for sure!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 3:51 PM

You guessed FQ correctly. It's for the hotel at 817-19 Chartres St.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
You want to create it? lol
I don't think I have the Facebook skills to manage that.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 2:50 AM

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...s_present.html

"A skate park. Volleyball courts. An amphitheater. Community gardens. Those are just a few of the amenities that planners and New Orleans residents envision for the Lafitte Greenway, a 3.1-mile linear park that will stretch from Canal Boulevard to Basin Street near the Municipal Auditorium. The ideas arose from a week of public meetings guided by members of Design Workshop, an urban planning and design team from Austin, Texas..."

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 4:04 AM
TL;DR

New website for the Greenway is up:

http://lafittecorridorconnection.com/index.html

The documents that are on the website don't reveal much, but it does look like they're considering realigning the stupid Orleans-Basin connector to form a proper terminus of Orleans at the Auditorium and allow the Greenway to directly connect to Congo Square.

Last edited by ardecila; Aug 21, 2011 at 4:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
New website for the Greenway is up:

http://lafittecorridorconnection.com/index.html

The documents that are on the website don't reveal much, but it does look like they're considering realigning the stupid Orleans-Basin connector to form a proper terminus of Orleans at the Auditorium and allow the Greenway to directly connect to Congo Square.
In my opinion, if the I-10/Claiborne Overpass demolition actually happens, Basin/ Orleans Avenue between the FQ and Claiborne will no longer need to be so wide, to provide access from the CBD to I-10. The whole street-grid should return to a checkerboard pattern with Basin/Orleans just being another small street, very easy to cross. Every street would become a feeder street to Canal, Claiborne and Rampart.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
In my opinion, if the I-10/Claiborne Overpass demolition actually happens, Basin/ Orleans Avenue between the FQ and Claiborne will no longer need to be so wide, to provide access from the CBD to I-10. The whole street-grid should return to a checkerboard pattern with Basin/Orleans just being another small street, very easy to cross. Every street would become a feeder street to Canal, Claiborne and Rampart.
I'm 99% sure that I'm in favor of this happening, though I really haven't had time to think about. one thing I was wondering about would be the call number of the interstate, 510 is to the east of what is officially 910 right now (ccc, wb expwy) which goes against standard. Just thinking out loud. Has anybody heard anything re the progress on this idea?

Very excited to hear about the skatepark, since moving to Mid-City I have been amazed at how many "ghetto children" I see on skateboards, and as a teeny bit of a skater myself would love to see that happen. We don't always have to be 50 years behind the times.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 3:24 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

My guess is that only roadgeeks would care and that the best thing to do is sign the remaining western half as any other odd numbered 3 digit prefix of 10 after the claiborne is removed and I-610 becomes mainline I-10.

There are other rule breakers, like a I-238(no 38) in California, an I-99(99 should be saved for any future route in Norfolk or in the eastern Carolinas) in central Penn, and I-278 in NYC doesn't connect to any other interstates.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I'm 99% sure that I'm in favor of this happening, though I really haven't had time to think about. one thing I was wondering about would be the call number of the interstate, 510 is to the east of what is officially 910 right now (ccc, wb expwy) which goes against standard. Just thinking out loud. Has anybody heard anything re the progress on this idea?
My understanding was that I-610 would become I-10 and US 90/Westbank Expressway is becoming entirely I-49.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:29 AM

I-278 intersects I-95 in Jersey.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 12:51 PM

Ochsner crossing the street to expand main campus

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...street_to.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations