HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 2:56 PM

Hey everyone, a short little video I made from this morning with pictures later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwht...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:06 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Nice video QUEENS NY 121 thanks for sharing and a great Memorial weekend to you.......btw it won't be long before 432 pops into play
ONE WTC LOOKS GREAT

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer View Post
I seriously can't find it, but everything says that it should be in here.
Advisory Circular (AC) 150/5345-43g
... And that's why I quit modeling airports.
The FAA's information is completely free to use. In fact, they literally have instructions on how to set up an entire regional airport with a few calls if you've got the cash. (Hell, they even recommend free software for calculating the thickness of the concrete and how to get free firetrucks from the Fed).
The rules are in another advisory circular, ac 70/7460 which spells out how to mark buildings, water towers, bridges etc. For a building like 1 wtc with a night time red and daytime high intensity white system, it specifies an L-864 red light (20-40 flashes per min ) and L- 856 high intensity system ( 40 FPM ). By contrast high voltage transmission towers that are marked used a 60 flash per minute red light.

Alan

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 5:10 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
Nice video QUEENS NY 121 thanks for sharing and a great Memorial weekend to you.......btw it won't be long before 432 pops into play
ONE WTC LOOKS GREAT
Thank You glad ya liked.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 5:19 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
Hey everyone, a short little video I made from this morning with pictures later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwht...ature=youtu.be
Why not just simply use the [ YOUTUBE ] tags so that your video appears in place?
Video Link

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 9:40 PM

Hey TechTalkGuy thanks I will try in future thanks, however If it is more easy for me this way then I will stick to what I know, again thanks for the advice.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 10:31 PM
Mr. Technology

Whenever anyone posts photos/videos in place, I usually watch them.
I rarely ever click a link to see a photo/video.

I may possibly be posting my own photos sometime this week.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 11:23 PM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Completely stoked. Just accepted a position in the City and I'll be working pretty close to One WTC! Can't wait to capture more of the city's incredible architecture in oil on the weekends.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 11:51 PM

I am thrilled to announce I finally saw 1WTC from Fire Island on the Robert Moses Bridge, and on the Ocean Parkway by Jones Beach! It was so clear out today and I saw an obviously very tall structure in the distance too big and thick to be a lighthouse, plus there aren't any lighthouses out towards the city past that way. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was 1WTC. Very exciting! I saw it clearly 40 miles out. Couldn't make out the spire, but definitely saw the shape of it. Awesome to see, it's my first time with my naked eye by my house seeing it!

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
I am thrilled to announce I finally saw 1WTC from Fire Island on the Robert Moses Bridge, and on the Ocean Parkway by Jones Beach! It was so clear out today and I saw an obviously very tall structure in the distance too big and thick to be a lighthouse, plus there aren't any lighthouses out towards the city past that way. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was 1WTC. Very exciting! I saw it clearly 40 miles out. Couldn't make out the spire, but definitely saw the shape of it. Awesome to see, it's my first time with my naked eye by my house seeing it!
I don't mean to be a buzz-kill but you probably saw the Jones Beach pencil. I understand it was a very clear day out today but that's nearly impossible.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 11:59 PM

The more long distance shots of 1WTC I see, the more I see how necessary a radome is.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
I don't mean to be a buzz-kill but you probably saw the Jones Beach pencil. I understand it was a very clear day out today but that's nearly impossible.

No...it was way too far out. I was practically AT Jones when I saw it, so obviously it wasn't anything near there. It looked to be about 35-40 miles out which was right and it was in the right geographic spot it should have been. And you are thinking the water tower, not pencil. This was definitely the WTC and many people see it from the spots I mentioned. Go look it up...only 38 miles away on a straight line from the RM bridge and probably 30 from Jones on the Ocean Parkway. It was clear as day.

By the way, I was looking at the water tower right in front of me. It clearly wasn't that. If you don't think you can see the WTC from that far, you don't understand how far you can see a building that big with the right conditions. If you go in the lighthouse you can see most of the skyline. There are pictures to prove it.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny631 View Post
No...it was way too far out. I was practically AT Jones when I saw it, so obviously it wasn't anything near there. It looked to be about 35-40 miles out which was right and it was in the right geographic spot it should have been. And you are thinking the water tower, not pencil. This was definitely the WTC and many people see it from the spots I mentioned. Go look it up...only 38 miles away on a straight line from the RM bridge and probably 30 from Jones on the Ocean Parkway. It was clear as day.

By the way, I was looking at the water tower right in front of me. It clearly wasn't that. If you don't think you can see the WTC from that far, you don't understand how far you can see a building that big with the right conditions. If you go in the lighthouse you can see most of the skyline. There are pictures to prove it.
I don't know what "watertower" you're talking about but hey, I might just have to take a ride down to Jones Beach then, I was just there the other day. Hopefully you're right because that'd be pretty awesome if it was visible.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
I don't know what "watertower" you're talking about but hey, I might just have to take a ride down to Jones Beach then, I was just there the other day. Hopefully you're right because that'd be pretty awesome if it was visible.
From the Ocean Parkway near Jones it absolutely is on most clear days. From the Robert Moses Bridge it's a little further East but you can still see it on days as clear as today. You may do a double take at first and be like "what's that all the way out there?" then it hits you. Definitely visible to the naked eye though. 30-40 miles really isn't THAT far to see the tallest building in the western hemisphere. Ask people from Jersey...seeing it from that range is even easier for them because they have the elevation. There were pictures I had of the Empire State Building and other buildings smaller than the WTC easily seen from the FI Lighthouse at the top. I think you seriously misjudge just how close FI/Jones is from NYC. It's pretty damn close mileage wise on a straight line.

By the way: locals don't call it the "pencil"...it's a water tower.

Last edited by liny631; May 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 1:55 AM

You don't need to convince drummer - just post a pic

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
You don't need to convince drummer - just post a pic
This is the NYC skyline from the top of the Fire Island Lighthouse on Long Island 40 miles away. You can easily make out the ESB and some other taller buildings. It's not the complete skyline because the lighthouse is not tall enough to see everything. If it was another 100 ft up or so you would see the entire thing. Now this was shot before the new WTC was being built, so just remember the WTC now dominates the ESB in height, so if you can see the ESB, you can DEFINITELY see the WTC. It's definitely possible.

Also keep in mind where I saw the WTC from today was probably 10 miles closer to NYC than this picture.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:53 AM

Another video from early this evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9aD0QEmlrM

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 5:30 AM

@LINY631.....
You've made my day with that shot...tho I don't think One57 is there yet from what I can see.
FYI, If you also drive west on the Northern State Parkway towards the LI Expressway interchange, you can also see from the elevation ESB and (formerly) the Twins (when I was a kid, the kids I drove to "middle" school with never believed me coz we always took that route). I was right, ya bastidges...........

Matter of fact, several months ago on my way back from a wound care appointment in Nassau County (@Plainview Hospital for my local forum brethren) I saw 1WTC on the rise...maybe just a touch above 3/4 to the roof; and it made me gasp. I'd like to trace that route once again when the rest of WTC, 432P, 225W and the HY/West Side Titans start flexing their muscles.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:55 AM

And to think .... that some giant sequioas/redwood trees are almost as tall as the antenna/spire/beacon itself ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive