HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 1:21 AM

Yeah, I think it was approved.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 1:25 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Yeah, I think it was approved.
I really hope it was. I didnt watch the meeting, but its a great project IMO, and the letters I read from local residents was completely baseless NIMBYism.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 1:32 AM

I felt most of the arguments were weak and horribly presented. The biggest issue seemed to be that if the current condo owners of Heritage Place aren't the original owners, they were not informed of the future development upon their purchase. However its not the developer's or councils problem if a buyer did not put in the research before making such an investment... a few councilors lost sight of that.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Aren't sellers sometimes liable if they don't disclose information to buyers? I wonder if it applies in this case.

Either way, this is not unusual infill. It's totally consistent with the character of the area, and it would make sense to approve it even if it had not already been planned for.

Here's one of the top-notch arguments that was posted in ANS:

"The very name Spring Garden Road evokes the concept of sunlight, tranquility, and beauty ... we have a duty to infuse this location with the image the name invokes."

No condos because a road nearby has the words "spring garden" in it. Right.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 12:21 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Aren't sellers sometimes liable if they don't disclose information to buyers? I wonder if it applies in this case.

The original purchase agreements for Heritage Way disclosed that a building could be built over the parking structure. I think that over twenty years and multiple turnovers this tid-bit got lost in the shuffle. In the end I would bet that a real estate agent would know nothing about it. You would think it is something that the condo association would have to be involved in though or be responsible for.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 4:14 PM

Oddly enough - one of the councillors is a distant relative and I have them on my facebook - I've emailed them to get confirmation of whether it was approved or not (since they would've voted on it!).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 4:16 PM

The Herald reports it as approved in today's paper.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
The Herald reports it as approved in today's paper.
Right on! Didn't see it in the digital version - since I'm out in Calgary. =)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2010, 8:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not totally sure what the appeals situation is like for this one but I'd expect it to be built pretty quickly once the developers get started since there's no foundation work involved.

I'm also hoping that we'll see a couple of proposals on Spring Garden Road itself soon. It's pretty successful but has shabby parts, particularly on the corner of South Park across from the Lord Nelson (DQ and empty hole) and on the City Centre Atlantic block. The little house there has been empty for years.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 12:40 PM

I have a feeling this one might wait a little until The Vic is well underway.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:08 PM

awsome

this is awsome

I love this project

I may consider buying in it

Spring Garden.....the new downtown

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
this is awsome

I love this project

Spring Garden.....the new downtown
I was talking to my relative whose on council - apparently the debate and public hearing was quite interesting. You'll note I said public, unlike when I created the thread about the pubic gardens. My bad!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's one of the top-notch arguments that was posted in ANS:

"The very name Spring Garden Road evokes the concept of sunlight, tranquility, and beauty ... we have a duty to infuse this location with the image the name invokes."

No condos because a road nearby has the words "spring garden" in it. Right.
Not to mention that the project is on the north side of the street. So it will block sunlight from Spring Garden for about 10 minutes at around sunset. LOL.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I was talking to my relative whose on council - apparently the debate and public hearing was quite interesting. You'll note I said public, unlike when I created the thread about the pubic gardens. My bad!
I don't know how "interesting" it was considering all but one of the speakers lived in Heritage Way (the building name itself shows their opinions).

P.S. Someone123 the thread name should now be;

City Centre Atlantic | ~25m | 5 floors | Approved.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
this is awsome

I love this project

It's all rentals, no condos for sale.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 11:58 PM

APRIL 1ST, 2010
Addition to City Centre Atlantic Passed
BY RACHEL CAROLINE DERRAH / Spacing Atlantic

HALIFAX - We Haligonians have a unique opportunity. We live in a city so small that, with a little effort, we can keep our finger on its pulse. Being an opportunity seeker, lately I've frequented city council meetings and public hearings. I wonder why so few others take this time to speak their mind and help shape our future? If you find yourself talking about city issues at the bar or over the kitchen table, I extend an invitation to you to come to city council on Tuesday nights. You can see the agenda for each week here. It does matter.

Upon arrival at city hall this Tuesday I was directed to the 'overflow room' (ie. Halifax Hall) as council chambers were standing-room-only for a hearing on a Cedar St development, which was passed by council. Tiny speakers on the tiny television made it nearly impossible to hear what was happening. However, I was pleased to see people engaging in the public hearing and also enjoyed being in the presence of a Garry Neill Kennedy exhibition in Halifax Hall.

As city staff assured me, I made it into council chambers intime for Dexel Development's proposal for a 5-storey rooftop addition to City Centre Atlantic (commonly known as Pete's Frootique). The development requires no demolition, nor does it impede on properties of heritage value. It will house 150 people in 95 condo-equivalent rental units.

Senior City Planner, Richard Harvey presented a powerpoint of the proposal in relation to policy requirements. Because this development was initiated before HRMbyDesign, it was "grandfathered-in" meaning it is subject to former policies in the Regional Plan. This development does, however, meet most requirements in HRMbyDesign.

Louie Lawen of Dexel then introduced himself and features of his work which has been mostly in the downtown core. Dexel was the first in Halifax to introduce a greywater system. The proposal in question would include this and other 'green' amenities such as 98% efficient natural gas and a locally manufactured A/V system.

Next, the floor opened to the public. Condo owners of the neighbouring property 'Heritage Way' were well organized in opposition. Though unhappy to see this proposal, it was disclosed upon their purchase of a condo unit that an addition would happen (as part of a plan agreed upon in 1991). Phase 1 involved the construction of the commercial property that Pete's Frootique resides in; Phase 2 was construction of Heritage Way; Phase 3 is the residential addition atop the commercial property.

Residents expressed their deep concerns that this addition will cast shadow on their condo homes and elevate wind speeds making their rooftop garden totally uninhabitable. Harvey confirmed the wind and shadow studies met standards required by HRM planning. A blank wall feature (see photo above) was another point of contention. This was countered by the argument that the proposed addition abuts the property line of another rooftop space that will someday be developed.

Traffic congestion and parking were mentioned by many of the Heritage Way residents. One speaker remarked that this proposal has her "living in terror" that traffic congestion will prohibit emergency vehicles from accessing her home.

Eight people spoke, including myself. I was the only non-condo-owning, non-neighbour and the only person who spoke in favour of the proposal. From the perspecitve of a young person who lives and works downtown, I expressed the need for more people living in the core to support local businesses and enhance our downtown's vitality.

For the sake of transparency, hearing people lobby for more and more parking spaces does spark me. It only propels the systemic mobility issues we face in HRM. Perhaps it is the responsibility of our municipal/provincial governments to provide a well functioning active transportation network - rather than the responsibility of each developer to provide extra parking. We need density downtown - parking spaces yield the opposite.

After the public's turn to speak, Council entered discussion. Councillors Uteck and Johns expressed frustration with current planning policies which sometimes limit their ability to be visionary and to best represent their constituents. This conversation surfaced the question: What is the role of a councillor?

[This reminded me of a conversation I had lately on the job description of councillors. In cities you love and admire, what is the job description of a councillor? There is still time to give input to the HRM for the Governance & Boundary Review.]

This public hearing lasted two hours. After much discussion, Council voted in favour of this development agreement for the residential addition to City Centre Atlantic.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 3:17 AM

Nice article!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 1:09 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
APRIL 1ST, 2010
Addition to City Centre Atlantic Passed
BY RACHEL CAROLINE DERRAH / Spacing Atlantic

HALIFAX - We Haligonians have a unique opportunity. We live in a city so small that, with a little effort, we can keep our finger on its pulse. Being an opportunity seeker, lately I've frequented city council meetings and public hearings. I wonder why so few others take this time to speak their mind and help shape our future? If you find yourself talking about city issues at the bar or over the kitchen table, I extend an invitation to you to come to city council on Tuesday nights. You can see the agenda for each week here. It does matter.....................................http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...9&postcount=96
Great artile and very well written. Maybe Rachel would be interested in promoting a stadium?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 2:22 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Great artile and very well written. Maybe Rachel would be interested in promoting a stadium?
I think that to promote the stadium, a group will have to be set up (maybe Advocates for an HRM Stadium) that has some money to spend on advertising. I wouldn't mind contributing some, but I likely can't pay for all the advertising that would be required. Nevertheless, I will check advertising costs at the Chronicle Herald. Maybe a 1/8 page size ad (depends on the cost). I would much rather contribute money to a building fund - however I haven't seen much action in this direction from the HRM council.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that to promote the stadium, a group will have to be set up (maybe Advocates for an HRM Stadium) that has some money to spend on advertising.
.. dare I suggest... Friends of the Stadium? LOL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth