HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
gotta disagree here. I love it. The lines, the angled window frames, the brick.
Yes, the street-frontage is awful, but that's an easy fix. It's colour stands out nicely on the skyline instead of more beige nonsense.
With LRTfan and atnor on this. While certainly imperfect, the terraced, mainly glassed tower design would be a unique and welcome addition to the skyline. I can overlook the cladding a bit because the design is predominately glass. It would look good. Equating it to that brick-veneer behemoth Fairclough is a bit of a stretch.

As for Stinson, well he's a character I guess, and I can't really say more than that, except One King West in Toronto is pretty sharp . . . . It's just too bad that he's always a few bucks short and/or a few days late. . . .

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 5:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

I will admit that this probably looks better at other angles - I personally think the render was done rather poorly - as it looks like when you look through the building that there are no floors or even the back of the building (or the side wher I assume the balconies are)- which leads to this flimsy look.

I will say this though - I have been waiting for a terraced balcony design though so that would be pretty cool - although it would nullify privacy as you'd be able to see everyone all the way down from you, but it would allow each balcony unit to have sunlight. The top of the render still looks flimsy though.

I will wait to see more renders before I make further judgments on it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I will admit that this probably looks better at other angles - I personally think the render was done rather poorly - as it looks like when you look through the building that there are no floors or even the back of the building (or the side wher I assume the balconies are)- which leads to this flimsy look.

I will say this though - I have been waiting for a terraced balcony design though so that would be pretty cool - although it would nullify privacy as you'd be able to see everyone all the way down from you, but it would allow each balcony unit to have sunlight. The top of the render still looks flimsy though.

I will wait to see more renders before I make further judgments on it.
I feel like you could throw up a "tent" thing or lattice or canopy pretty easily to provide some sort of privacy. A real balcony would be really cool as it seems most do not use condo balconies despite their prevalence. I know if I could throw a small hottub or BBQ with a few outdoor couches I would be sure to use a condo/apartment balcony a lot more.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 7:33 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I feel like you could throw up a "tent" thing or lattice or canopy pretty easily to provide some sort of privacy. A real balcony would be really cool as it seems most do not use condo balconies despite their prevalence. I know if I could throw a small hottub or BBQ with a few outdoor couches I would be sure to use a condo/apartment balcony a lot more.
Yeah exactly - most balconies are useless because they are too narrow - make it big enough for couches or a hot tub and those areas get used a lot more.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:47 PM

Connelly 2.0 will rise before this becomes real.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:55 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

never trust a development if they don't pay for a real 3D architectural model, and put that on display. Some google sketch renders won't fly.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 1:52 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
gotta disagree here. I love it. The lines, the angled window frames, the brick.
Yes, the street-frontage is awful, but that's an easy fix. It's colour stands out nicely on the skyline instead of more beige nonsense.
Are you referring to this proposed project or the Ellen Fairclough building?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
never trust a development if they don't pay for a real 3D architectural model, and put that on display. Some google sketch renders won't fly.
Harry won't pay for anything. He used to send out email's saying buy now, since he didn't want to pay for a preview space since they cost money.

He goes into projects with no financing.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:23 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:37 PM
Hamilton Historian

[QUOTE=thomax;8122237]
Beasley Park Lofts Presentation & Renderings by AHBureau, on Twitter

Ok I'll admit that little triangular jutout piece on the back is kinda interesting - I dunno.. it's kinda growing on me..

I seriously need to see better renderings though.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:58 PM

It's kind of Bjarke Ingels. In London UK they'd give it a nickname. 'the bookend'

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Harry won't pay for anything. He used to send out email's saying buy now, since he didn't want to pay for a preview space since they cost money.

He goes into projects with no financing.
This is a guy who can't afford a hammer and nails from day to day. When the construction boom really hits Hamilton he'll be standing in line for everything.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
How much did you end up paying? If you don't mind me asking
We paid ~325,000 for a 1000sqft (1bed, 2 bath, 1 den) loft unit in the original portion of the building w/ brick exteriors. The model suite was just too nice to resist purchasing. We were also duped into thinking it would be done by the end of 2017, which is what they said when we made the purchase in the first place.

Harry just had a private screening for the new tower part of the building this past weekend as an option for people to move up to the tower if they want. Personally, I think the tower will look awful and is just a normal condominium. Not only that, he mentioned the entire north half of the building is contaminated to bedrock with chemical wastes and will need to be dug up and thrown out. Expected construction time is 24-36 months for the tower. The southern half is good enough to simply dig and create a new foundation for the 4th/5th floors and basement parking. Harry is planning on releasing these revised floor/building plans privately in the next 2-3 weeks and going public after the next month or two.

He's also offering credit to those who wish to change units since he believes the units could probably draw more money if he sells them now rather than 2 years ago. This is also because the 4th/5th floors at Gibson School Lofts have been rejected by city planners and those who bought those units will have to transfer their money to a Beasley Lofts or Buffalo Hotel unit or take a refund. I don't know why he keeps trying to peddle his stupid hotel idea, no one seems interested.

If you guys have any questions, let me know.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandori View Post
Not only that, he mentioned the entire north half of the building is contaminated to bedrock with chemical wastes and will need to be dug up and thrown out.
Well looks like realcity was right about that part.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:30 PM

Every laundry related land is contaminated. Big money to remediate.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:17 PM

I love that design. Go Harry! Good luck!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:56 PM
Hamilton Historian

Harry has earned himself a very bad reputation in this city where people see his name and just associate it with either problem, delayed, or failed projects. It's not a good feeling.

Last edited by Chronamut; Mar 21, 2018 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Harry is earning a very bad reputation in this city where people are starting to see his name and just associate it with either problem delayed or failed projects. It's not a good feeling.
I would change the verb tense on that statement.

It's taken Hamiltonians some time to figure this out, but it appears to be a completed action.

If you see Harry in the street, run the other way.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I would change the verb tense on that statement.

It's taken Hamiltonians some time to figure this out, but it appears to be a completed action.

If you see Harry in the street, run the other way.
Fixed lol.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:02 PM

The building has now gone down to 12 stories as per the cities again revised zoning for the area. Design looks like it's developed quite a bit in the past couple months... still has the terraced look but toned down a bit, looks growing on me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton