HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:19 PM

http://ncrcrossings.ca/upfiles/Newsl...ntWhatsnew.pdf

I don't count this as an update; it's just another resume of what the study is about and a bunch of bureaucratic gibberish. And also, it's about the bridge study, not the transit study; we haven't heard anything about the Interprovincial transit study in about 2 years.

As for the city, I'm certainly not ready to give them any sort of standing ovation for the western LRT study. They made progress by eliminating the Carling option and then folded to public pressure to put it back in the ring for political reasons, same scenario as the Interprovincial Bridge saga.
(BTW, I think Carling is the worst option, with the biggest price tag and the worst overall flow; cutting off Tunney`s from the main line, cutting off any chance of a direct South-end to Downtown service, making people transfer at Carling station where we have limited space…)

And finally, although the city runs around in circles and takes a ridiculous amount of time to make a final decision, at least the Confederation Line is now ready to be built.

The NCC on the other hand, has been studying Interprovincial Bridges and Transit for decades and has never come up with anything close to a final draft.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 6:42 PM
National Capital Region

I see your point.

Overall, neither has got much to be proud of and I'm definitely not impressed with the major transportation engineering consultants either.

The downtown tunnel practically had to be redesigned by a second consultant (the latter hadn't done much in Ottawa before... a lesson perhaps...?) and ended up being heavily modified a third time by the chosen builders.

The interprovincial study is being carried out by the same consultants who had worked on the N-S LRT and the Rapibus (or cRapibus) studies and had concluded in both studies that neither project should be extended across the river due to the lack of an interprovincial plan.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:31 AM

Happy March! Still no interprovincial transit study! Maybe by April?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:38 PM

Interprovincial connections

I'm not holding my breath for a decision any time soon. What's needed is for the politicians at all levels, to appoint an agency (NOT the NCC) to evaluate all the proposals and then pick one. In other words, do "it" or get off the pot!

Now thinking ahead...beyond the next several elections, isn't it time that an evaluation process should begin to start looking at a western route? I realize the need doesn't exist now, but it will at some point in the future. 10 years? 20 years? Maybe more. However coming up with a route and then buying land as it becomes available should be considered. Zone it for commercial so there won't be a NIMBY force to deal with.

Would it really hurt to start planning? It will save so much time and effort for future generations plus eliminate the inevitable squabbles.

just saying....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:39 AM
Busy Beaver

I think you've got the interprovincial bridge and interprovincial transit studies mixed up. They're brothers-in-arms, and they're both missing in action. I think we should call the Americans to send their SEAL team 6 to search for them.

Last edited by Kitchissippi; Mar 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 12:52 AM
National Capital Region

Or we could send in Canada's own Joint Task Force 2.

Errr, never mind.

[Seriously, who names an élite military formation as if it was an inter-governmental committee?]

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Or we could send in Canada's own Joint Task Force 2.

Errr, never mind.

[Seriously, who names an élite military formation as if it was an inter-governmental committee?]
Maybe the acronym JTF2 wasn't taken yet.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
I'm not holding my breath for a decision any time soon. What's needed is for the politicians at all levels, to appoint an agency (NOT the NCC) to evaluate all the proposals and then pick one. In other words, do "it" or get off the pot!

Now thinking ahead...beyond the next several elections, isn't it time that an evaluation process should begin to start looking at a western route? I realize the need doesn't exist now, but it will at some point in the future. 10 years? 20 years? Maybe more. However coming up with a route and then buying land as it becomes available should be considered. Zone it for commercial so there won't be a NIMBY force to deal with.

Would it really hurt to start planning? It will save so much time and effort for future generations plus eliminate the inevitable squabbles.

just saying....
I would hope that the West extension of the OLRT would be ready for construction the day the Downtown portion is completed.

As for Interprovincial transit, a tram between Aylmer/Le Plateau areas crossing the Champlain Bridge to Westboro Station (moved East under Island Park and renamed Island Park) might be something to look into.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 8:59 PM

Wow, I had not been in the loop on this topic for a while but assumed that the NCC study had come and gone by now, with little or no substantive conclusion, or possibly just a negative conclusion. Apparently it has not even arrived yet.

Not to be pessimistic but I have it on reasonably good authority that within the City of Gatineau today, there is entrenched resistance to the mere notion of further integrating the transit systems (using rail or other) due to the absurd belief that Gatineau will "lose" economically if they make it easier for their residents to cross da bridge and shop in Ottawa. Hopefully this is not the prevailing view, but it is apparently the view of some.

This topic, along with waterfront/Victoria + Chaudiere Island development and a whole host of other things, is a shining example of NCC, Ottawa and Gatineau collective failure. Not to poke a hornet's nest but the NCC as a concept could be an incredible asset for our bi-jurisdictional, bi-cultural urban reality.....instead we get, far too often..."moar grass".

LoC

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litreofcola View Post
Not to be pessimistic but I have it on reasonably good authority that within the City of Gatineau today, there is entrenched resistance to the mere notion of further integrating the transit systems (using rail or other) due to the absurd belief that Gatineau will "lose" economically if they make it easier for their residents to cross da bridge and shop in Ottawa. Hopefully this is not the prevailing view, but it is apparently the view of some.
I've heard that opinion before. There's even some in Gatineau who talk like Ottawa doesn't exist. (Some pre-amalgamation city councillors also had this attitude.) They ignore that Ottawa has about 3 times the population and already attracts more Gatineau employees than the reverse. If it wasn't for many of their residents working on the other side, Gatineau would not be what it is today. The economies of Ottawa & Gatineau are already more intertwined than some want to admit.

In my opinion Gatineau is more a suburb/exurb of Ottawa then a fully independent city.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Shaun View Post
I've heard that opinion before. There's even some in Gatineau who talk like Ottawa doesn't exist. (Some pre-amalgamation city councillors also had this attitude.) They ignore that Ottawa has about 3 times the population and already attracts more Gatineau employees than the reverse. If it wasn't for many of their residents working on the other side, Gatineau would not be what it is today. The economies of Ottawa & Gatineau are already more intertwined than some want to admit.

In my opinion Gatineau is more a suburb/exurb of Ottawa then a fully independent city.
Precisely, if Gatineau disappeared off the map, Ottawa would lose a museum and gain a few jobs, but if Ottawa were to disappear, Gatineau would be totally boned.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:41 PM
National Capital Region

David Reevely ‏@davidreevely 3m
Two consultants working on NCC's transit strategy going in to give a presentation in councillors' row this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/davidreevely/sta...29544610734080

!!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 5:44 PM

was just waylaid at the pedestrian bridges thread on my way to post the same tweet!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by litreofcola View Post

LoC
Certainly there is a strong sentiment in Gatineau that any transit investments should contribute to the unity of Gatineau as one city, and more than just a suburb or an appendage of Ottawa.

So the priority is on improving links between the eastern and western sides of the city.

Most of the recent priority highway and road projects (Boulevard des Allumettières for example) have been consistent with this as well.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:16 AM

Interprovincial transit study was finally released today!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:36 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, though have been following it for a while for the interesting discussions.

I couldn't find the interprovincial transit study report online. Do you have a link?

Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:39 PM

Poisson d'avril!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, though have been following it for a while for the interesting discussions.

I couldn't find the interprovincial transit study report online. Do you have a link?

Thanks.
http://www.interprovincial-transit-s...9/Default.aspx

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:33 PM

seriously? how could that not be an April Fool's joke...

"Inconceivable!"

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I thought it was a joke but it looks like the real deal.

Among the highlights -

O-Train extended to downtown Hull only by 2021 via the POW bridge and a short spur going east from where the bridge arrives in Quebec near the corner of Taché and St-Joseph.

The entire Rapibus line into eastern Gatineau will be converted to LRT by 2031and link up with the Ottawa LRT at Bayview across the POW bridge.

It appears as though some trains from eastern Gatineau will go into downtown Hull via the spur, and others will cross the POW to Ottawa and then go east on the LRT Confederation line into Ottawa's CBD.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation