HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
A one year hiatus eh?

With the CFL Touchdown Atlantic series in Moncton, it was a sellout the first year, and a 98% sellout in the second year (which was apparently considered a failure). The CFL then decided to take a one year hiatus to "concentrate on the 100th anniversary celebration of the Grey Cup". They did return one more time last year, but the effort was half hearted and you could see the writing on the wall. The CFL wasn't interested anymore and won't be returning.

Will the same thing happen with the NFL in Toronto????

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:09 PM

I'm a big NFL fan but I won't miss this game

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:47 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Will the same thing happen with the NFL in Toronto????
Let's get one thing clear. It's not so much the NFL courting Toronto as it is the Bills nurturing their market on this side of the border while generating millions for their team.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:50 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
Great article at Grantland on Carleton Basketball.
I still find it bizarre that I can watch college basketball teams from another country and even the Canadian media report on it, but never a mention of our own teams. Conference finals were this week yet the media here in Toronto focused on the Kansas Jayhawks.

Here's the Final 8 and the brackets for those who follow college basketball. It's been a long time since I've seen the Ravens in any position other than #1:

#6 Saint Mary's (23rd appearance)
#3 Alberta (17th appearance)

#7 McMaster (15th appearance)
#2 Carleton (17th appearance)

#5 McGill (5th appearance)
#4 Victoria (23rd appearance)

#8 Saskatchewan (7th appearance)
#1 Ottawa (8th appearance)

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If the tourney were being played at the Metro Centre in Halifax it would be hyped in the media (at least in the Maritimes).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:24 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If the tourney were being played at the Metro Centre in Halifax it would be hyped in the media (at least in the Maritimes).
I traveled to Ottawa last year for the tournament and was shocked how low key the event was. Cape Breton seemed to have more fans at the game than Carleton despite Carleton being ranked #1, being the host team, and having 30,000 students. CBU has 4,000 students and about 2000 km away. They came by the bus load down from Nova Scotia. There were a ton of Acadia fans there too. Any one who questioned Nova Scotian interest in basketball saw it in full force last year. Basketball matters in the Maritimes, Ottawa not so much.

This tournament needs to go back to Halifax where people care about basketball. Ottawa has had their chance, and I can't say that I've been impressed.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:26 PM

I watched the OUA final on Sportsnet this past weekend - it was a great game

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:29 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
I watched the OUA final on Sportsnet this past weekend - it was a great game
Good on Ottawa for winning it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:50 PM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:54 PM
The New Republic

Carleton should be playing in front of 5000/fans every single time. Ottawa doesn't deserve that team.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Carleton should be playing in front of 5000/fans every single time. Ottawa doesn't deserve that team.
Sad thing is I don't think many Canadian cities would do much better than Ottawa. I can tell you that at western universities, support for varsity sports other than football is almost nonexistent (and even for football it's far from overwhelming). Men's hockey can get a bit of attention in some centres, men's basketball might get noticed from time to time, but everything else might as well be in a community centre house league for all the attention it gets.

Media coverage is definitely an issue. If you go to a smaller US city with a low-level D-I or even a D-II/D-III team, you will hear about those teams. Conversely, in Canada the university basketball teams get very little media attention (even if they're amazing like Carleton) and are therefore never part of the conversation, even at the local level. When it comes to college basketball, TSN and Sportsnet will still give precedence to a NCAA game that no one in Canada cares about like Villanova vs. Marquette.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
I traveled to Ottawa last year for the tournament and was shocked how low key the event was. Cape Breton seemed to have more fans at the game than Carleton despite Carleton being ranked #1, being the host team, and having 30,000 students. CBU has 4,000 students and about 2000 km away. They came by the bus load down from Nova Scotia. There were a ton of Acadia fans there too. Any one who questioned Nova Scotian interest in basketball saw it in full force last year. Basketball matters in the Maritimes, Ottawa not so much.

This tournament needs to go back to Halifax where people care about basketball. Ottawa has had their chance, and I can't say that I've been impressed.
Unfortunately Ottawa pledged the most money and that was the deciding factor for the CIS. Canadian Tire Centre was far too large a venue and is too far away. The Final 8 is headed to Toronto and Vancouver next where at least they will be held at more appropriately sized venues. (whether that in itself will be enough to draw fans remains to be seen) as both cities are weak CIS markets.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 7:31 AM
The New Republic

Toronto? Well at least I can attend as I live in Toronto now. Toronto seems to do a terrible job promoting sports at the grass roots level. They won't even show up for the national team. It's so bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sad thing is I don't think many Canadian cities would do much better than Ottawa.
If Carleton were a Nova Scotia university they'd be playing in front of 10,000 people/game, I guarantee you. Varsity basketball and football are a big deal out east because they fill a void: there's no pro sports to speak of. Those 2 sports seem to hold their own against hockey in that part of the country as well.

Atlantic Conference basketball finals get 3000-6000/game. That tournament usually outdraws Canada's other 3 conference tournaments combined and this in a city of only 400,000 people.

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:28 PM

Boat… Women?! The Argos cheerleaders put together a music video — and it’s good
Kurtis Larson canoe blog March 7, 2014

Just call them the Boatwomen.

The Toronto Argo cheerleaders put together a fun music video to the high-energy tunes Nicki Minaj.

And, it’s actually pretty entertaining.

During their recent trip to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Maarten aboard the Celebrity Reflection, the girls took time out of their CFL calendar shoot to entertain us with this beauty

The clip currently has around 16,000 clicks. Expect that to rise – sharply.

Chances of the Boatmen topping this during their upcoming season?

Remote.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Great article at Grantland on Carleton Basketball.
Yeah I saw that too. I didn't realize that Carleton's program is THAT good. I really hope Philip Scrubb gets a few tryouts with NBA teams. He'd be the first player in the modern era to be drafted out of a Canadian University.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:51 PM

Modern era? Will Njoku is an old timer?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:51 AM

Isaidso...

Always loved the atmosphere in the Metro Centre. Followed Brandon back in the
80's and I thought they were supported well. Gym was packed for every game (800-1000). I always thought if the school could have been larger...say 10,000 students, and Brandon had 80,000 to 100,000 pop- they would have easily filled the Keystone (6000? seats for hoops).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Isaidso...

Always loved the atmosphere in the Metro Centre. Followed Brandon back in the
80's and I thought they were supported well. Gym was packed for every game (800-1000). I always thought if the school could have been larger...say 10,000 students, and Brandon had 80,000 to 100,000 pop- they would have easily filled the Keystone (6000? seats for hoops).
The Bobcats kind of fell off the face of the earth once Jerry Hemmings stopped coaching there... they won something like 4 national championships during his tenure there, which is amazing for a tiny school on the prairies. That team had quite a following in the 90s, but these days I don't hear very much about them when I go to Brandon.

Maybe the Bobcats have to recruit another baskeball genius fron North Carolina

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Let's get one thing clear. It's not so much the NFL courting Toronto as it is the Bills nurturing their market on this side of the border while generating millions for their team.
Could it be that something else is brewing with respect to the NFL in Toronto and that this is simply clearing the way for it?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Modern era? Will Njoku is an old timer?
Hmm, never heard of him. Doing some research though, it appears that he never played a game unfortunately.

On to another topic, another indication of basketball being more popular than hockey among Toronto's immigrants is reflected by Raptors Republic, a Raptor fan site run almost exclusively by immigrants.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada